new build

survivor

New Member
Would like all suggestions on this future build which will NOT be used for gaming or overclocking just surfing and school work:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53Ghz LGA 775 $120.00
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L LGA $85.00
OCZ (2x1Gb) 240pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800(pc2 6400) $50.00
WD 500 Gb HD $70.00
Samsung 22x DVD burner @ lightscribe Sata $27.00
CoolerMaster Elite 330 KKNI $40.00
CoolerMaster Pro 550W P/S $80.00

would appreciate any and all thoughts before purchase.Thanks
 
Last edited:
You won't need all that for your tasks. How about...

...a Pentium D for $75 (I used to religiously suggest AMD until my recent AthlonX2 blowup)
...you can get a cheaper motherboard that is just as good as a performer for about
20 - 30% less than what you have now. Biostar, Asus and ECS are good bets.
...Keep your memory - 2 gigabytes - just buy a different speed according to the board.
...Keep your DVD burner.
...How about an Antec earthWatts 400W Power supply for $35.99? This is an aPFC model and is 80+ efficient.
...I guess you can keep your case, but there are cases that are great, just not the light-up fancy see through cases (which, in my opinion, look bad:)) but the choice is yours. It's only a $20 difference

Where are you buying from?

Just to let you know...you are missing your operating system (recommend Linux, $0), your keyboard/mouse (recommend Logitech for $12 for both) and monitor (recommend NEC/Mitsubishi for $198)

I recommend "cohen" for more assistance. He seems to be the build guru here :)
 
Last edited:
You can get AMD processors CHEAP right now because they're doing so SHI-crappy.
What do you plan on doing on your build? Any Adobe? multiple programs? Dual screens? Lots of Audio?
 
You can get AMD processors CHEAP right now because they're doing so SHI-crappy.
What do you plan on doing on your build? Any Adobe? multiple programs? Dual screens? Lots of Audio?

Well he has stated that what he will be using the PC for.

AMD wouldn't be good for him, and he has the budget, so he will be able to have Intel.
 
Well Cohen my budget would be around $550 to $600.remember not doing any gaming but would like a system that won't be outdated in a year.I would like to stay with Intel I know they are a little bit more in price but I am ok with that. I am in Florida good old USA!!! Thanks
 
Well here goes I know this may seem like overkill but thought it would be a good system that would be good for a couple of years:
Samsung 22X DVD Burner SATA $27.00
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250Gb 3.0Gb/s Sata $60.00
Crucial 2Gb(2x1GB) 240Pin DDR2 667 (pc2 5300) $39.00
Gigabyte GA EP35 DS3L LGA775 $85.00
Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53Ghz LGA 775 $120.00
Antec three hundred case & Antec Earthwatts EA500W P/S $100.00
Vista Home Prem SP1 32Bit &Sapphire 1010 RadeonHD2600XT $120.00
Don't think I will need an audio card.
Any thought on this set up?
 
As you can tell I am no computer whiz I just want to be sure that going with Vista 64 bit in place of 32 bit will be good with the other listed components.I am not sure of the variables between the two.Thanks
 
Just looked at Vista Os and it shows several versions not sure which to go with and also going to 64 bit it said that I would have to up the memory to 4 Gb.
 
Well Cohen my budget would be around $550 to $600.remember not doing any gaming but would like a system that won't be outdated in a year.I would like to stay with Intel I know they are a little bit more in price but I am ok with that. I am in Florida good old USA!!! Thanks

Unfortunately, it will be outdated as soon as you plug it in and turn it on!
Intel is working on eight, sixteen and I think twnety core technology right now, and I'm sure a six core chip would be available to those who want to pay the price around next year (my prediction), so dual or quad core technology would be outdated...
 
Has anyone seen this site the prices are very low so I am a little sceptical!!!
MS Windows XP Pro with SP2 Full Version For PC


Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition With SP2 on CD

Unlimited Installs

PRODUCT KEY INCLUDED

FULL VERSION

ON SPECIAL $54.99

FOR PC ONLY, NOT MAC


Shipping freight: 8.49
 
Found this site also for Mobo from Intel:
We found 2 products for > "dp43tf"










Show in list | Show in grid Showing 1 - 2 of 2
Products Per Page 12 24 48 96 Sort by : Relevancy Price Name

Product Part# Price Status Buy
Intel Desktop Board DP43TF DDR2 ATX 1333FSB
Motherboard, ATX, iP43, LGA775 Socket, UDMA100, Serial ATA-300, Gigabit Ethernet, FireWire, HD Audio (6-channel)

BOXDP43TF $99.99 Please Call
 
just surfing and school work

In that case, you wouldn't need to spend much more than $300. Behold:

Motherboard
CPU
RAM
PSU/Case (the power supplies apparently haven't blown up for any of the people who've bought it so far)
Hard drive
Optical drive

The GeForce 6100 can even do decent gaming if you dedicate enough system memory to the graphics unit.

Peripherals sold separately.

If I change to Vista 64 bit I just need to be sure everything will be compatible.

Vista is compatible with programs that were written by Microsoft (Word, Paint, Minesweeper, etc.) and not much else. Use XP instead. It's MUCH better.
 
Last edited:
If you're not gonna game, don't get a P31/35 or P43/45 or X38/X48 chipset Mobo in any case because you're gonna need a separate video card and that's gonna add a little more to the total. Best you could do if you're not gonna game is get a mobo with onboard graphics, nothing expensive. Go Intel or AMD, either way it's fine if you're not gonna game or overclock.
 
Back
Top