New cpu,mobo,ram w/ old hdd

Peter251

Hello i am trying to do a new build but i was trying to figure out how i would use my old hdd with new mobo and cpu.But still use same windows 7 that i currently have on my hdd.Thanks!

beers

Staff member
Yo dawg,

You'd honestly need to reinstall. Windows isn't transplantable between vastly different hardware.

Calin

Yo dawg,

You'd honestly need to reinstall. Windows isn't transplantable between vastly different hardware.
When I switched from my old E8400 to the 8350 I had to reinstall it. When I switched from the 8350 to the i7 6700k I DIDN'T have to reinstall it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you have the windows reinstallation cd, then you are best to do just reinstall windows. Its definitely a different chipset so would reinstall windows fresh.

Peter251

If you have the windows reinstallation cd, then you are best to do just reinstall windows. Its definitely a different chipset so would reinstall windows fresh.
i dont have a cd.it was preinstalled when i bought this pc.is there a way i can make a copy from my computer or make a iso?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You could do a fresh install of 10 using the previous OS key. Is this an OEM machine such as dell, hp, etc? If so, then the oem license won't work on a new motherboard.

Peter251

You could do a fresh install of 10 using the previous OS key. Is this an OEM machine such as dell, hp, etc? If so, then the oem license won't work on a new motherboard.
it is a ibuypower.i tried to go to microsoft.com to dl a iso of windows.but it says my windows is preinstalled.i have product key on side of my computer

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can download an iso of 10 and use the key on the side of the case. Hopefully it will activate. Use the windows 10 media creation tool.

mistersprinkles

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows7

Download Windows 7 installer to a USB drive (8GB or greater formatted in FAT32 with nothing else on it)

Download Belliarc utilities.

Run Belliarc utilities from your current hard drive while in Windows that is installed on it to extract your Windows 7 key. Write it down. Double check it.

Next, restart your computer with the USB stick you just put the Windows installer on plugged into a USB 2.0 port on either the front or back of the computer.

When you restart you will see a message that says something like "press F2/DEL for BIOS, F12 for boot menu" (or you might not see that at all). In any case, spam those 3 keys (press them repeatedly as the machine starts up)

From either the BIOS or the boot menu select the USB flash drive as the primary boot device and restart again. You will see a message that says press any KEY to load from (your USB drive). Press any key. I like the space bar.

Follow the instructions on screen. Enter your windows 7 key when prompted to do so.

NOTE: there are multiple versions of Win 7 with Home Premium being the most common. Take note of which version you have and make sure to install that version. Make sure you run the same bit version, either 32 or 64, depending on what you have now.

It's actually all much simpler than it sounds.

By the way if you have never installed Windows before you have also never installed drivers. I'm going to guess you have an OEM (brand name) machine in which case all you have to do is go to the support section of their website and put in your model name or service tag and you can download the drivers. Just install them one at a time the same as any program. It's very simple.

If you have a machine made of consumer parts, take note of those parts and download the appropriate drivers from the various manufacturer websites. You do not need to visit the manufacturer website of your motherboard for it's chipset driver, as INTEL or AMD offer those on their site, but you will need the motherboard manufacturer site for addon-chips such as sound, LAN, additional SATA controllers, etc etc.

You will need drivers for

Motherboard
Video Card (Go to NVIDIA or AMD for this, not MSI/ASUS etc)
Sound card (if you have one)
Wireless card (if you have one)

Last edited:

Peter251

Ok so I went the windows 10 route.thru media creation tool.I made the iso for USB drive to boot up,it worked,also my old windows 7 product key worked for Windows 10.I'm trying to figure out should I do a (upgrade):; install Windows and keep files settings and applications..or do (custom) install Windows only (advanced)...well I backed up my hdd already to a portable hdd before changing mobo

Darren

Staff member
Ok so I went the windows 10 route.thru media creation tool.I made the iso for USB drive to boot up,it worked,also my old windows 7 product key worked for Windows 10.I'm trying to figure out should I do a (upgrade):; install Windows and keep files settings and applications..or do (custom) install Windows only (advanced)...well I backed up my hdd already to a portable hdd before changing mobo

As long as you've got everything backed up that you need, go advanced, delete every partition, make a new one that fills the drive and install Windows 10 fresh on there.

Windows 10 is a great OS, but it seems to be a bit wonky if you do an upgrade. Clean install is the way to go. I tend to do clean OS installs every year or so anyway, although that's probably overkill. Keeps things running smoothly though.