New Custom Computer Building *Top PC*

mkjaekmi

What's the best hsf that's not overclocked? Since it's not always a good idea.

Also, whats the best psu?

Also, how do I know what case I need? like how do I know which case has the slots for the pieces I want?

So I should try intel core 2 duo 6850 right?

What's the top mother board? I want a mother board that will be able to be upgraded with future pieces for years and years to come.
Remember, I need a top gaming comp.

oregon

Any case will work. You just have to figure out what size... mid tower, full tower, etc. You probably just need mid-tower. Antec 900 is a good case for cooling.

Best PSU... maybe an Antec Quattro 1000W or whichever their highest is. I think Corsair, OCZ, etc. are also good. For convenience look for one which is modular. This means you can disconnect unneeded power connectors.

A x38 motherboard is futureproof. And a q6600 is probably better than an e6850. A Q6600 is quad core rather than dual core.

ride3k

q6600 = waste of money quadcore

if your going to spend 300 on a CPU, get the e6850, much better out of the box and overclocks like a dream. If you want a nice quadcore you are going to have to wait/spend the money on the new 45nm quadcores coming out

personaly i'd go with a e5550 and overclock it to 3.0 or above and get the same performance for 150 bucks less.

mkjaekmi

wut's x38? what brand?

Also, it'll guarantee I can use future products from like intel, nvidia, etc???

Also, what else is a futureproof mother board?

So which is better for gaming Q 6600 or 6850 or should i wait for the 45 nm, or should i get intel core 2 extreme?

ride3k

personally the e6850 is better for gaming, higher FSB, higher stock clock. The quad is useless for gaming as no game supports multi threading capabilities yet and counting on a GOOD game using it soon is just a bad reason to buy a slower processor

and x38 is a chipset that supports pcie2.0, ddr3, 45nm tech, and a slew of other things. Its to overpriced to buy now unless you got gobs of money to spend

daisymtc

Any case will work. You just have to figure out what size... mid tower, full tower, etc. You probably just need mid-tower. Antec 900 is a good case for cooling.

Best PSU... maybe an Antec Quattro 1000W or whichever their highest is. I think Corsair, OCZ, etc. are also good. For convenience look for one which is modular. This means you can disconnect unneeded power connectors.

A x38 motherboard is futureproof. And a q6600 is probably better than an e6850. A Q6600 is quad core rather than dual core.

I don't think X38 motherboard is future proof unless getting the DDR3 one.
But what is the point of buying a high end right now with double of the price of a decent mid-range? Six months/ one year down the line, you will find a better one. Future proof? who care?
IMO, X38 is just waste of money as it don't show enough improvement in performance with the extra paying for a P35 board.
Also, if crossfire is needed, there are plenty of P35 board have such ability. Like GA-P35-DS4, MSI Platinum.

PSU, it is true to say Antec Quattro 1000W is one of best PSU. However, there is no point for getting that expensive PSU at the moment, unless to lots of RAID, SLI/ crossfire, etc. In most of the case of current PC spec, a 500W - 700W PSU is enough.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
personally the e6850 is better for gaming, higher FSB, higher stock clock. The quad is useless for gaming as no game supports multi threading capabilities yet and counting on a GOOD game using it soon is just a bad reason to buy a slower processor

and x38 is a chipset that supports pcie2.0, ddr3, 45nm tech, and a slew of other things. Its to overpriced to buy now unless you got gobs of money to spend

Let's think :rolleyes: Which is better?

2 cores?

OR

4 core?

Hmm... You seem to be a Quad hater. Don't post without knowing this stuff. Games like HalfLife 2 support 4 cores, meaning they smoke the E6850 without lookin back. Other softwares that do not utilize 4 cores will go down to 2. No difference. The price is not that big or a difference, but you get close to 2x of the performance. In other words, the Q6600 is better, as the Q6600 also has more cache.

The P35 seiries also support 45nm if you have not researched (which you probably haven't:rolleyes:). The P35's or P31's only need a BIOS flash to support 45nm, x38 chipset motherboards are natively supports the 45nm CPU's, meaning a bit more stable, but that small thing does not justify the big price difference, unless you're crazy about PCI-E 2.0...

DDR3 is also supported on P35 boards... like the P35C-DS3R...

oscaryu1

VIP Member
wut's x38? what brand?

Also, it'll guarantee I can use future products from like intel, nvidia, etc???

Also, what else is a futureproof mother board?

So which is better for gaming Q 6600 or 6850 or should i wait for the 45 nm, or should i get intel core 2 extreme?

X38 is a chipset, which natively support 45nm processors like the QX9650 that just came out. P35 and P31 seiries also support it, but only need a flash of the CMOS to support it.

Future proof would be a P35C-DS3R or a X38 board.

Q6600 for SURE. Wait for the 45nm, bigger cache and better performance.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
q6600 = waste of money quadcore

if your going to spend 300 on a CPU, get the e6850, much better out of the box and overclocks like a dream. If you want a nice quadcore you are going to have to wait/spend the money on the new 45nm quadcores coming out

personaly i'd go with a e5550 and overclock it to 3.0 or above and get the same performance for 150 bucks less.

Q6600 Right NOW = Not bad, wait for 45nm's.

The Q6600 SLACR or G0 version will overclock AS WELL as that E6850. And there is no E5550 :rolleyes:

Q6600 G0/SLACR version is also
much better out of the box and overclocks like a dream

paratwa

Some Crossfire boards only work with Crossfire, and not SLi... So double check the specifications.

As far as I know, crossfire works with crossfire, and SLI won't work in it at all.

What I said was that a nvidia card will work in a crossfire board, just not in a SLI configuration.

oregon

Get the Q6600. It is made with the newer Kentsfield cores which are the same cores used in the Extremes. So even with 2 cores, it's almost as fast. But when four are used, it is so much better.

Check benchmarks here

However, waiting until January and getting the newer quad cores would be better. Supposedly they will perform 15-20% better per clock, and they will also be cheaper.

mkjaekmi

Ok, thank you for the help, now I wanna get some things clear.
So here are my questions.

Ok, now what brand is the 45nm from? is it the 45nm penryn?

Also, blu-ray disc tech is just an additional accesroy for a comp that I don't need am I correct? It's not a Hard drive or anytihng right?

So without the price being an option, what would be the roder from greatest to least? Would it be (coming out)45nm > core 2 extreme > q6600 > 6850, Am I correct?

Also, what's better p35c or d53r or x38?

How much does low latency ddr3 memory cost?

What's a 128gb solid state raid 0? is it ram (memory)?

what is a pci express and whatis a killerklgaming nic?

mkjaekmi

Ok, thank you for the help, now I wanna get some things clear.
So here are my questions.

Ok, now what brand is the 45nm from? is it the 45nm penryn?

Also, blu-ray disc tech is just an additional accesroy for a comp that I don't need am I correct? It's not a Hard drive or anytihng right?

So without the price being an option, what would be the roder from greatest to least? Would it be (coming out)45nm > core 2 extreme > q6600 > 6850, Am I correct?

Also, what's better p35c or d53r or x38?

How much does low latency ddr3 memory cost?

What's a 128gb solid state raid 0? is it ram (memory)?

what is a pci express and whatis a killerklgaming nic?

Also, how do I know which pieces fit with which? like which cpu fits with which motherboard?

oregon

Yes... 45nm are the upcoming processors from intel. Penryn is one of the 45nm cores. Also Yorkfield and Wolfsdale.

Blu-Ray disc is just an optical disk drive. Like a dvd drive. It's new though, and is very expensive. So right now DVD drives are the standard.

Your order is mostly correct, though some core 2 extremes may be worse than a Q6600, and all of it depends on what your doing.

P35c-ds3R is a motherboard made by gigabyte. They are part of the same thing. X38 is a better chipset (what motherboards are based around) that would be better but more expensive. It would be more futureproof though.

Alot. Buy some DDR2 right now, and you can always upgrade later. It's only $50 bucks anyway.

It is a hard drive substitute. It would be probably the fastest possible storage drive, but very expensive. A standard hard drive is probably better for now, and you can always upgrade in a few years when prices go down.

PCI Express is the slot which most graphics cards use. PCI 2.0 is also out, but not necessary or worthwhile right now. Get an 8800GT or an HD3870 for a graphics card. The manufacturer doesn't matter too much, mainly just for the warranty.

To see which motherboards fit which pieces, look on Newegg, and you will be able to narrow down based on specifications.

mkjaekmi

oh yeah also, is nvidia 8800gt a video card? if so, what's better

Nvidia 8800GT 512mb or 8800gt EVGA 512 MB PCI-E x16 or GeForce 8800GT

Is GA-X38-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Ultra Durable 2 from intel or gigabyte? or is gygabyte from intel.

When is intel 45 nm coming out? january?

Also, what's a dual xeon?

Also whats ATX? it says that for all motherboards. I tihnk i understand hat if it says atx amd it means it supports only amd and atx intel means it supports only intel but some motherboards only say atx?

Also, If I bought a mother board for amd, and later I decide on using intel, then I have to get a intel mother board right?

Lastly, whats ment more for gaming AMD or Intel?

Last edited:

mkjaekmi

Also, is true theres a program where you can use the internet (wireless)? without needed to have verizon or time warner to do it for you?

Also, what's bad about mac? I herd you can't play games on it, is that true?

oregon

Graphics cards and Motherboards are confusing. Basically there's three main companies that create the technology. AMD (which absorbed ATI), Intel and Nvidia. They usually just design the technology, then other companies manufacturer it. So Nvidia designed the 8800gt, geforce is their brand name, and eVGA is the manufacturer. eVGA and XFX are the premier nVidia manufacturers. Many others are good though, and the manufacturer doesn't matter much apart from the warranty they provide.

The motherboard you mentioned has the Intel chipset-it is designed by Intel. But it is manufactured by Gigabyte.

Yes, sometime soon. Some are already out, but I think they should all be out by the end of January.

A Xeon is a high end quad-core Intel processor designed for servers. Dual just means two at once. That would be overkill for you.

ATX is the standard size of a motherboard. There's also micro atx. I haven't heard of anything else. A motherboard has a socket which describes which CPU's it can work with. LGA775 is the current intel socket, AM2(+) is the current AMD socket.

Yes, you would have to get a new one. You could hack it, but it's not worth it.

They both try and be the best for gaming. Intel is better all around if you have the money for it.

mkjaekmi

So xeon is a cpu? if so, you can have more then 1 cpu? cause there's xeons and dual xeons right? or is it just that dual xeon is still 1 cpu just twice as much?

Does that mean xeon is the best right now? and even better then the 45 that will come out? What's xeon for anyways?

So currently #1 video card(graphic) is geforce 8800gtx?