New Custom Computer Building *Top PC*

mkjaekmi

I think im going to have to use a different pus then antec quattro. Seems that it doesn't go well with 8800gt video cards.

Also xfx vs evga video card. which 1?

Last edited:

oscaryu1

VIP Member
EVGA :) Both are fine though... Look at the OCZ GameXStream 700W...

Anyways my 2 questions were whats the best hsf? and can you use ddr2 on x38t?

There is no "best"... I'd go for the Zalman 9700 though...

mkjaekmi

It seems that people are telling me I need more then 1 fan. They said i need a hsf for my cpu, another fan for my video card, and another for my hard drive. This true?

paratwa

The CPU always needs a fan, but for the most part it will come with one. The same for the GPU, if it needs one, it will usually come with one. And you should always have at least 2 case fans. One in front that draws air into the case, and one in the back that pulls air out of the case.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
OEM - No fan

RETAIL - With fan

GFX's will come with a fan... if it doesn't... then something weird happened.

mkjaekmi

So what are good fans that take in air and release air?

Also, will the new 45nm be better then core 2 extreme?

After that I think I'll be done.

oregon

Get the Antec 900 or a similar case, and you won't need to buy any fans.

Yes, new 45nm will be better, because there will be new 45 nm core 2 extremes.

intelfanboy88

Ahaha your totally right intelfanboy88. If I was really that interested I should buy a book. However I'm not really that interested as much as you think I am. I'm trying to get a nice comp for gaming, and the majority of people on this planet don't read books on computers to buy a computer. Do you research/read every little thing you buy or do? Yeah I didn't think so. There's nothing wrong in asking for peoples opinions. Maybe I don't want to read books, so you goin to do something about it?

I was just trying to spare you some dignity by suggesting you read up before asking questions. And you're right, a majority of people don't read about things - which is why those people are uneducated, misinformed, and self-inefficient.

Anyway, in the spirit of Computerforum and this thread, I suppose I'll reply to your posts:

I think you are focusing on the wrong things when trying to buy a computer. If you try spend the most amount of money on everything, that's not really going to work out. If you try and wait for something better to come along, you'll be waiting forever. There is no "ultimate" pc; if you pick the parts out (or have others do it) in an educated manner, there's no reason it can't do anything a "top pc" can do. I built my computer (in sig) before the Core 2's came out, and with the exception of my new 8800GT, it remains unaltered and yet still blows away most games (yes, I mean you Bioshock and COD4). If you were to buy my rig today (it is already about year old) it would cost probably around 600 (roughly 30% of what you claim you want to spend). It's not the best of the best, but remember, the best computer of today is outdated by tomorrow. I definitely won't (and don't need to) upgrade for awhile (who knows what will be out when I do?!). I hope you choose to consider all of this when learning about building.