new dvd drive keeps stopping

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i can get an image and sound, but its extreamy slow to play it.
it stops after about half a second playing. this is extreamly annoying.
anyone know how I can fix this?
Possibly a DMA vs PIO issue :)

To ensure your drives are operating in DMA mode: (1) Control Panel, (2) System, (3) Goto the Hardware Tab, (4) Device Manager, (5) IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, (6) Right Click on Primary IDE Channel --> Properties, (7) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK,(8) Right Click on Seconady IDE Channel --> Properties, (9) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK, (10) Reboot.

I could be way off... but is the DVD drive on the same IDE cable as the source HDD?
You have a point there but it wont make a difference (the difference will affect the HDD -- sometimes)

49x dvd drive
Holy crap where'd you get one of those?? :p

@Xenon/Bigshow: lets stay on topic

Xenon787

no offense, but you lot are useless

i just took out the CD-RW player, and it works perfect, i think there is a problem with that now. but i dont need it

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
no offense, but you lot are useless

Eh, And why would we take offense? Seems you asked ;). You did have it instaled wrong im sure and when asked about jumpers you knew squat correct? Meanwhile taking another drive out of the chain fixed your problem? hmmm Seems you did somthing wrong ;). I've been told personaly alot of things but when it comes to computers I've never been called useless.

Well there's always a first for everything I suppose.

Xenon787

naw, i thank you for all the help. i also changed the settings of the CD-RW, but that didnt help, so i took it out coz it didnt work anyway.

Bigshow1030

easy blue

im sure xenon was just having a bad day and no you are not useless......although sunglasses choice might be a drawback :p ;)

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
although sunglasses choice might be a drawback

Your joking right? I've been told I look Like that dude from the matrix in those! LOL. I'm Just kidding. Although I thought they where pretty styling.

Bigshow1030

killing me

that was great :cool: Yeah i have a pair of white oakley frogskins that people say I look like some wrestler big poppa or something like that.....Don't watch it so wouldn't have a clue even what he looks like. anyway, yeah they are styling :D

Xenon787

we had a tech at my school untill this year ( he wasnt nice, i think he was sacked) he used to wear dark black sunglasses ( might have an eye problem) but we used to call him "neo", i think thats the dude from matrix aint it??

i hope thats not you "blue"?

Bigshow1030

might be

yes that is his name..........I think Blue may have experience to much lighting problems when he was younger......either that or he has a nuclear reactor in his bedroom :p

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
i hope thats not you "blue"?

I'm not sure what you your asking here LOL.

I think Blue may have experience to much lighting problems when he was younger......either that or he has a nuclear reactor in his bedroom

No it's just that the cold cathodes inside my pc are way to bright it's like a freaking disco here LOL.

Bigshow1030

that was great

yeah.....I have put some in mine and if I actually leave the computer on when going to bed it will let you know it.....It is like standing outside of an airport with all the runway lights.....bright as hell :D

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
WHOA. Take it to a PM (Bigshow this is NOT the first time ive mentioned offtopicness with you ;); Blue the glasses look cool, everyone else: lets stay on topica)