New Gaming Rig

jonnyp11

so you'll pay 125 now to save 20 later, intel doesn't come down hardly at all, lder cpu's slower than sandy bridge still cost more and haven't dropped much.

so you'll pay 125 now to save 20 later, intel doesn't come down hardly at all, lder cpu's slower than sandy bridge still cost more and haven't dropped much.

Really? If what you say is true then I guess I might go with i5. Surely the price must drop somewhat though.

Last edited:
I've made up my mind and I'm going with intel. I just can't go with AMD knowing that I'm paying the same but getting less performance. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.

jonnyp11

well for video en and de-coding i think amd is faster sometimes, really there isn't even a decently noticeable difference

Aastii

VIP Member
Really? If what you say is true then I guess I might go with i5. Surely the price must drop somewhat though.

No, this isn't true. The Intel prices drop at the same rate as everything else, and when Bulldozer comes out, they will probably drop lower still, so you are talking a few months before their prices fall. Even if AMD don't compete with Intel's top end at that point, they need only bring out a CPU that is able to keep up with, or nearly keep up with, Sandy Bridge, price it lower, and force Intel to drop their prices, because otherwise every man and his dog will be going AMD, because of ample performance, but better price/performance.

This has happened time and time again, so I would put money on AMD doing something similar with their pricing this time.

I've made up my mind and I'm going with intel. I just can't go with AMD knowing that I'm paying the same but getting less performance. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.

Let me put it to you like this:

Your screen has (I should imagine) a refresh rate of 60Hz. This means, up to 60FPS in games, there is a difference. Anything over 60FPS, and it is wasted. You may as well cap at 60 FPS and leave it be, you will use less resources, so save money on electricity, because even though your system is able to get say 120FPS, it makes not a blind bit of difference.

Now, take that analogy, and compare it to the CPU:

Load times will be held back by the hard drive.

Games will be held back by the graphics card or by the monitor's refresh rate

Everything else doesn't tax the CPU at all, so performance is identical.

the only time you have any real noticable performance difference is when you benchmark, or when you do 2D rendering, HD video editing, compress/decompress files or encode media files. In short, unless you specifically need the system for those purposes and you do those on a regular basis, you will notice the square root of naff all difference in performance. What has been said about AMD not being able to do anything, or about it being weaker is complete twoddle

well for video en and de-coding i think amd is faster sometimes, really there isn't even a decently noticeable difference

The Thuban CPU's (Phenom II x6) compete with the Nehalem i7 processors, but that is because of the two extra cores. Even so, it doesn't beat them by a large amount.

So, in short, no, AMD does not beat Intel unless you look at it from a price perspective. If you look at it from similar price points, AMD takes it, because the closest to the 1055T in terms of price is an i3-2120, which is much slower because of having a third of the number of cores.

In terms of similar processors, Intel destroys AMD. You may pay extra, but you are paying for the extra power, which is justifiable. You take a Phenom II 980 and compare it to an i5-2500 (both quad cores with 3.7GHz clock speeds, the Intel with Turbo Boost), the 2500 blows the AMD chip away

Let me put it to you like this:

Your screen has (I should imagine) a refresh rate of 60Hz. This means, up to 60FPS in games, there is a difference. Anything over 60FPS, and it is wasted. You may as well cap at 60 FPS and leave it be, you will use less resources, so save money on electricity, because even though your system is able to get say 120FPS, it makes not a blind bit of difference.

Now, take that analogy, and compare it to the CPU:

Load times will be held back by the hard drive.

Games will be held back by the graphics card or by the monitor's refresh rate

Everything else doesn't tax the CPU at all, so performance is identical.

the only time you have any real noticable performance difference is when you benchmark, or when you do 2D rendering, HD video editing, compress/decompress files or encode media files. In short, unless you specifically need the system for those purposes and you do those on a regular basis, you will notice the square root of naff all difference in performance. What has been said about AMD not being able to do anything, or about it being weaker is complete twoddle

My refresh rate is 75hz and I'm more concerned about AA and AF abilites than over the top FPS. AMD is in fact weaker. Consider this an i5-2300 and a phenom ii x4 975 cost the same (around 180) but the i5 wins in terms of performance. This is based on REAL benches not synthetic.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Well a 955 is just 115 bucks and clocks about the same as a 975. Kinda kills the price comparison doesn't it.

Why have you got three threads going about the same thing?

Last edited:
Well a 955 is just 115 bucks and clocks about the same as a 975. Kinda kills the price comparison doesn't it.

Why have you got three threads going about the same thing?

The 3 threads initially started off as different topics. One was about mobo and the other two were about different builds.

If thats true I guess it does kill the price comparison. i would like to know however, if the AMD is worth it considering that they run hotter and louder even while stock. I don't want to OC this thing if its too loud.

jonnyp11

well it's the fan that is loud and you plan on doing more than like .2-.4ghz, then you'd need a new fan anyways.

Okay i got some more questions now:

1) Can i really save a lot of money by OCing an AMD rather than buying an intel?

2) Is it even worth saving money by going AMD considering that they run hotter and louder especially when OCed.

3) Is a GTX 460 overkill for 1280 x 768 resolution considering that I will be using full AA, AF, and max settings on demanding games?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Okay i got some more questions now:

1) Can i really save a lot of money by OCing an AMD rather than buying an intel?

2) Is it even worth saving money by going AMD considering that they run hotter and louder especially when OCed.

3) Is a GTX 460 overkill for 1280 x 768 resolution considering that I will be using full AA, AF, and max settings on demanding games?

I dont get why your saying, they run hotter and louder. Who told you that? Both Intel and AMD OEM coolers arent worth a crap at overclocking. If you overclocking you need a good cooler for either. If not they are about the same. I have a old Phenom II 740 overclocked to 3.8 with a Zerotherm cooler and its not hot or loud. If you have a AMD phobia just get a Intel and quit going on about it. Starting to look like beating a dead dog.

Last edited:
I dont get why your saying, they run hotter and louder. Who told you that? Both Intel and AMD OEM coolers arent worth a crap at overclocking. If you overclocking you need a good cooler for either. If not they are about the same. I have a old Phenom II 740 overclocked to 3.8 with a Zerotherm cooler and its not hot or loud. If you have a AMD phobia just get a Intel and quit going on about it. Starting to look like beating a dead dog.

Quit going on about it? What the hell's wrong with doing research to make sure I don't order a pc that's not going to satisfy me? No ones forcing you to answer my posts so stop complaining.

After doing so more research, I'm leaning towards AMD again. Quad phenoms will be plenty for my rig and they are also very over clock able. Guess I'll just ditch the standard cooling and go for aftermarket.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Well man I am not really trying to be rude, sorry if it came across that way. Forums have Intel and AMD guys and both have good points. So it will be just a back and forth. Both options have there good points.

Well man I am not really trying to be rude, sorry if it came across that way. Forums have Intel and AMD guys and both have good points. So it will be just a back and forth. Both options have there good points.

True, I think considering my needs AMD will be sufficient. Thanks for all your help.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Dont think you will be disappointed either way. I mean really, either way you need a benchmark to tell the difference. But if you do go AMD, just make sure you get a AM3+ 900 chipset motherboard.

Dont think you will be disappointed either way. I mean really, either way you need a benchmark to tell the difference. But if you do go AMD, just make sure you get a AM3+ 900 chipset motherboard.

The mobo I'm strongly considering is AM3+ 970 and ATX so its upgradable and overclockable.

Solved

I got the i5-2500 with an intel h67 mobo both for around 200 bucks (cousin works at intel :D). With this I'll be able to keep up with latest games for much longer than with AMD.