New Gaming Rig

old_school

Im still a bit of a newb to Linux but to save money on OS, Id go Linus and use Wine. BSD is free of course and works well with Wine for games. Since its Linux, you can customize it 100% as well. Not that their is anything wrong with windows, just a suggestion.

Im still a bit of a newb to Linux but to save money on OS, Id go Linus and use Wine. BSD is free of course and works well with Wine for games. Since its Linux, you can customize it 100% as well. Not that their is anything wrong with windows, just a suggestion.

Thanx I'll consider that.

jonnyp11

don't do anuthing with linux untill you've worked with it alsewhere, i tried it out on my comp and after a week gave up cuz with my older comp it was nearly impossible to get some things to work, mainly the wifi, and even if i had it is a good battle getting things right, but you can install wubi which is a windows installer that provides a boot choice after bios finishes while booting, and other than no hibernating is no different than normal ubuntu linux, but don't get it from ubuntu.com as their newest version and the only one they distribute lacks almost all the features people liked it for, look for a 10.04 distribution.

old_school

don't do anuthing with linux untill you've worked with it alsewhere, i tried it out on my comp and after a week gave up cuz with my older comp it was nearly impossible to get some things to work, mainly the wifi, and even if i had it is a good battle getting things right, but you can install wubi which is a windows installer that provides a boot choice after bios finishes while booting, and other than no hibernating is no different than normal ubuntu linux, but don't get it from ubuntu.com as their newest version and the only one they distribute lacks almost all the features people liked it for, look for a 10.04 distribution.

Not true, Linux is not a "out of the box" all in one solution. Linux often requires you to customize it your self. You can buy pre builts simular to windows like Red Hat but Linux introduces the idea to the user to customize the OS their self. Its for people who have above average intel and above average computer skills. Its not for the average user and will require alot of reading to get it working beyond the basics. But once you get it running, its alot better then windows. In fact in most cases its better then any Os out there because you built it for your self and your needs not the needs of a marketing company. Or the needs of a "on average" base of what somone thinks would be useful.

When you guys think about Linux, its not for kidys. Its for someone who is ready to get serious about computer optimization and customization. I honeslty have to say windows works for most because as humans we have become a lazy creature. Linux requires alot of work so like I said its not for everyone. Most people want th easy answer or they want it now. I still have my windows but I use Linux alot more these days. Its faster and leaner. I dont suffer from crahing issues or lagg issues. I also get higher FPS on it then the Windows machine. Just some things to consider if you want to go Linux folks. Not easy but it is the better solution.

jonnyp11

i know it's not out of the box ready and all, i was saying it is hard to setup, i had problems with my wifi adapter and it made it almost impossible to get it working, and after a couple days i wasn't that determined to get it working so i decided to wait untill i was done building my comp with up to date parts, i would like to get it working, but its hard and i have other things to do, not really but still.

Ordered the rest

Antec Earthwatts 650

G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB (2 sticks) DDR3 1333

Rosewill Challenger Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower

XFX Radeon HD 6870

Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200rpm 3.0gb/s

HP 24X Multi DVD writer

HP 23", 3ms, 300cd/m2, widescreen w/speakers

For $596 (3-day ship + rush proc.)

Together with my i5-2500 and intel mobo its $796

Now the anxious wait begins...