new graphics card~

b3atofang3l

woah, a lotta comments, thanks so much. i'll go with the 512mb Sapphire HD3850 (thanks for the link btw).

i have a few more questions (bare with me -__-)

a) My specs are:
E6300
2GB DDR2 800mhz OCZ ram
Gigabyte 956P DS3
Arctic Freezer Pro 7 CPU fan
2xLG DVD-RW
Seagate 160GB HD
Antec Smartpower 2.0 450W PSU

I want to know if:
a) would my pc configurations bottleneck the HD3850 512mb?
b) is 450W enough for the HD3850 512mb card?

evil-xxx

256mb of VRAM won't hurt the Hd 3850 as much as it did the 8800gt, but it still will hurt performance, especially in the newer games, those that are out, and those that have yet to be released.

$218 CAD 512mb 3850, if it's in your budget. If you just can't afford it, the 256mb isn't a bad choice, just a slightly bottlenecked card.

It seems that the more powerful the card is,more ram is must as you say.:)

b3atofang3l

woah, quick reply, and thanks for da link!

this is out of topic but what would be an adequate game to test my new card (once i get it next week)?
i have crysis already (so besides that)

thanks=D!!

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Call of Duty 4 is an amazing game with intense graphics that won't hurt your computer like Crysis does. Definately worth the money. :)

b3atofang3l

lol, that just bursted my bubble
"you cant really enjoy your coming card through vegas."

to ramodkk: i have cod4 for 360, i have to agree, it has nice graphics

b3atofang3l

to hermeslyre: thanks dude!, my buds at school said it was an awesome game 2. will look into it... i was thinking 'bout stranglehold, any info on that?

i was just reading about the HD3850, it said that you could use a PCI-E connector from the PSU, since my PSU(Antec Smartpower 2.0 450W) has it, should i connect it to the card when i get it? because it has 15A on +12V1 and 17A on +12V2 and i heard V2 is used to run the graphic cards is it right?

hermeslyre

VIP Member
to hermeslyre: thanks dude!, my buds at school said it was an awesome game 2. will look into it... i was thinking 'bout stranglehold, any info on that?

John Woo game, methinks. It's was supposed to be pretty cool. Reviews were favorable.

i was just reading about the HD3850, it said that you could use a PCI-E connector from the PSU, since my PSU(Antec Smartpower 2.0 450W) has it, should i connect it to the card when i get it? because it has 15A on +12V1 and 17A on +12V2 and i heard V2 is used to run the graphic cards is it right?

Yeah, PSU connector should be connected. Both lines (V1,V2) are used to power +12V components, not just V2. To get the combined amperage, look for the total wattage output on that rail, then divide by 12. (you can't just add up the rails to get total amperes.) Wasn't a question, I know, just pointing it out.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Un-uh. It'll look like this,

TT1200_top_sticker.jpg

Divide the wattage I pointed at by 12. Your sticker may have the max wattage somewhere else, or it might not list it at all... In that case, you can't find out. You don't really need to know, your amperage is sufficient, so far as I can tell, without doing the conversion. :D

b3atofang3l

Ohh!!, i get it now !!

thanks so much for taking the time to put a picture!!

there's a HD3870 512mb @ futureshop for $249.99 on sepecial which is only 25$ above the price of a HD3850 512mb

is hd3870 512mb much better?

thanks! again!

Last edited:

maroon1

Last edited:

Narzinor

memory speeds and bandwith are better on the HD3870 compared to the 8800, although, apparently the GPU drivers are better and processes or somethin better on the 8800, I personally dont have either card atm, but thats what I hear from site to site. I plan on getting an HD3870 due to my mobo's crossfire ability, but if not, I believe I would have gotten an 8800.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
GPUreview is great for comparing specs, but specs don't necessarily mean much towards performance. In this area, look for benchmarks,

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3151&p=6

The 8800gt 512mb is about 15% better than the 3870, as maroon said, in this respect I share his sentiments towards the card, It is undoubtedly the best card per money spent. I was unsure of it's cost in Canada, didn't expect it to be priced so low, that is until google told me 1 CAD = 1 USD. I thought the currency difference was larger. :eek: