New Here... Smartphone and Notebook Help

PrepVet

Good morning I’m new here but have a few questions...

My first is about an old cell phone, my feeling is that the data is a total loss, but it has been tossed in a box for 6 years...

It is an old Galaxy that is literally split into two pieces. Is there any way to recover the onboard photos and videos at a “reasonable” cost?

This is a photo, not sure if I can I get tag yet but I just linked it:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=242hi50&s=9#.Wq04HCJOmaM

My second question is there anyway to make my new old laptop less worthless? It is an HP 15-an050nr or 3165ngw product code n5r61ua#aua. It’s the silly Star Wars clad one. I picked it up about 2 years ago at AAFES on clearance just prior to my ETS and it has been horrid. It is slow and nothing loads, I can’t even open a .jpeg. Everything just either times out or just sits and spins. It will take better than 15 mins to even start up and at least as long to send an email. It has the basic internet safety stuff but I haven’t used it much at all as it has been like this from damn near day one. Will doing a factory reset help or is the slow hard drive etc just going to always make it an issue? I don’t game on it even if I could I just want it usable.

Thanks for the help in advance.

PrepVet

Like I said in the OP this for onboard data. That model galaxy did not have an sd card slot. I got an estimate of $500-1200 to get the data. That is not reasonable IMHO but I don’t doubt it cost that much.

As far as the notebook I’ve done some google research and that model seems to be stupid slow for several people. For me it is unusable.

Agent Smith

Can you run CrystalDiskInfo on that laptop and see what it says? You could also try the free version of HDTune. How old is the HDD? You might benefit from a new HDD, preferably a SSD and reinstall Windows. I'd use Win 7. Read my sig. on what I think about 10. LOL

PrepVet

I can try when I have 12 hours to kill, heh. The hard drive is about 2 years old, same as the whole thing.

strollin

Based on it's specs, that laptop should be a decent performer. I agree with others that a clean install of the OS is what is needed. I would stick with Windows 10 since that appears to be what it came with. Trying to install Win 7 on a laptop designed for Win 10 can be problematic in that the drivers can be hard, if not impossible, to find.

That phone would be difficult to resurrect. Any chance the photos were backed up to the cloud in your google account?

PrepVet

Yeah I have no problems with 10 and was not going to downgrade to 7. But I am leaving 7 on my old old laptop as it is still kicking and with how worthless the new notebook is I am using that one still. I’ve read some reviews on the hard drive in the new notebook and that based on its size and very slow speed that it is not unheard of for it to run like frozen dog poop. I’ll have to figure out how to do a factory reset as it didn’t come with discs.

As far as the phone, was there even a “cloud” like that 6 plus years ago when it broke? Even if there was I wouldn’t have used it, I refuse to use one now. This is all onboard data. I don’t expect it to be cheap to recover but if there was another service I could check with.

strollin

The cloud definitely existed 6 years ago. Don't kid yourself, unless you are completely off "the grid", you are using the cloud in some fashion or the other. Your use of this forum is proof.

PrepVet

The cloud definitely existed 6 years ago. Don't kid yourself, unless you are completely off "the grid", you are using the cloud in some fashion or the other. Your use of this forum is proof.

Don’t kid yourself. I may use image hosting but I don’t off site data back up to anywhere. I also don’t use social media at all; no Facebook, Instagram, etc...

strollin

Regardless, your data is "out there"! Maybe not all of it but probably more than you realize.

Have a SSN? There's info about you in the cloud. Have a DL, applied for a loan, gotten a ticket, been arrested, etc...? It's virtually impossible to keep your data out of the cloud.

If you have any device that connects to the internet (or cell network), there's data about you in the cloud.

Last edited:

strollin

You're the one that missed the point and I already answered your questions. YOu can continue to live with your head in the sand if you want, it's a free country.

PrepVet

You’re discussing the cloud that has nothing to with this. You’re rambling posts have nothing to do with this. It’s cute you care and all but move on.

PrepVet

Factory recovery or reset, do “new” computers store it on the hard drive? There are no old school recovery discs.

PrepVet

Holy Hell, it took better than 3 hours to transfer 3.4 gigs of photos to an SS card.

With roughly 100 gigs of data I want to save this is going to take the rest of the month.

Just to also kind of set the table when I click on a photo (.jpg) it almost always times out the system. I get a windows message that something failed to respond but the application opens. Additionally if I am scrolling through a file with the photos in it it constantly jumps back to the top of the file. Every time. I will get about 20 seconds of scrolling down and then it snaps back to the top.

As I was attempting to transfer a single small .pdf file the whole system just stopped again as usual. Just sat and spin and couldn’t move the mouse etc.

Right now as I am transferring data to the SS card it again just locked up... no data transfer speeds, no spinning indicator but I can move the mouse but not interact with anything.

Last edited:

Agent Smith

Why on earth are you using a SD card? I would use an external or internal HDD or at least a USB 3.0 thumb drive.

PrepVet

Because I have 300+ gigs of them. It’s just cheap temp storage. But my concern is not the speed as I know they are less then ideal but the fact that the file folders are bouncing back to the top that really makes my think there must be something wrong with the RAM, like I’m running 256k of it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would say you may have a stuck key on the keyboard, such as the up arrow key, page up key or possibly an outdated video driver. That used to happen to me back in the day. Not sure how an outdated video driver affected that but it did.