New Here... Smartphone and Notebook Help

PrepVet

Well this is for sure not a sticky key. It’s damned annoying. I’m hoping once I am able to factory spec this thing it stops. But I think it has happened since new.

strollin

Instead of copying the files from the hdd to SD cards, you might consider a radically different approach. You can purchase a 1TB Western Digital Blue HDD from Amazon for less than $50: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Cache-D...=UTF8&qid=1521982782&sr=8-3&keywords=1+tb+hdd

This is actually a faster drive then your original since it's 7200rpm vs 5400rpm the laptop came with. If you want an even better performance boost (more cost), install an SDD instead.

Remove the old HDD from the laptop and install the new. Install Windows and all required drivers from the HP website. Use a SATA->USB adapter to connect the old HDD to the laptop and copy the photos and other files from the old HDD to the new. After you're done, format the old HDD and use it to backup your computer.

Granted, this method will cost you some money out of your pocket but should go along way toward relieving the frustration you're currently encountering. Plus you'll end up with a backup drive.

PrepVet

Yeah. Not spending a nickel more on this notebook. Besides I have zero interest in modding a computer.

If the factory zero dosent fix it in the thrash it will go.

strollin

Don't think of it s spending money on that computer, think of spending money to recover the data from that computer.

If you want just the data and don't care about the laptop. Pull the HDD out of the laptop and hook it up to another computer using a SATA->USB adapter and copy the data off the HDD to the other computer. Put the HDD back in the laptop, do a clean install of the OS. Afterwards, do whatever you want with the laptop, sell it, keep it, give it away, etc...

PrepVet

Update and new question:

1: even after the complete factory reset the Star Wars hp is still pure junk. I would have better luck running Windows 10 or hell viewing a .jpeg if I broke out the Tandy 1000 from my youth. It’s tossed in the garbage.

2. I got a quote for $500-800 to recover the data on the phone. I’m thinking it over.

New question, these old laptop hard drives, what kind of interface is that so I can hook them up to my old laptop via usb ‘dock?’ Thanks

es957d.jpg

Agent Smith

The HDD with the pins sticking out is a PATA interface, commonly misrepresented as IDE, but IDE represents the SATA interface as well. But it's PATA. The second drive is a SATA interface.

You can buy a SATA to USB adapter on Amazon or ebay. And you can buy an IDE or PATA to USB adapter. Some adapters will allow you to use SATA and PATA.

strollin

Yes. That's what you need. The first link you posted is an adapter that will handle both PATA and SATA drives, the 2nd is a dock that will only handle SATA drives.