New PC Build

wombosi

So, just wondering what it would take to get a sweet, blazing fast PC capable of smooth SD/HD video editing.

What is the best stuff I could get for about $900?

Thanks!

(I'll be putting on the programs separately. No need for bundled software at all.)

wombosi

i have a case with 450w psu,
i have dvd-rw drive 16x, i have 120gig harddrive.

i want:

motherboard (intel or AMD)
cpu (intel or AMD)
RAM - at least 2gigs
good video card
possibly a bigger, faster hard drive
possibly a 22" flat panel lcd- ideally.

(i do need a mouse. but that's an afterthought.)

what about core 2 quad? 2 gigs ram?

i live in western MA.

lastly, would i be able to sell my existing components for anything?

thanks.

Last edited:

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Keep the HDD and OD. The case and PSU... most likely not... But if the build can fit in there, that'd be great.

Where do you live again?

wombosi

the case is a huge antec with a million easy remove bays.
the psu is built into the case.

not enough watts?

i live in western massachuetts.

any build should be able to fit into the case. if not, not the end of the world, i guess, but a waste of a good case and PSU.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Is the PSU REALLY built in or just included with the case?

Does it look like this?

900_q.jpg

DSCF0898.jpg

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Hmm... Well let's set aside $300 for the monitor. That leaves $600 on the computer.

Would you happen to like overclocking?

wombosi

cool,.

$225 shouild do it on the monitor.

won't be overclocking.

just want to make sure i can work with high definition video editing very smoothly and be one step ahead of the game. in other words, not barely meeting requirements, but surpassing them.

vonfeldt7

Video editing wouldn't take a really high-end video card, it's more CPU intensive than GPU intensive.

Anyways, if you're not gaming, the most expensive video card I'd recommend is the HD3850

You need more Wattage!!!!! (750w sounds real good)

Get an AMD duoprocessor (more transistors)

with 2G of Ram but leave room for upgrade

Nvidia GeForce 8800 with SLI

any seagate hardrive (prefferably over 250G) ****check rpm*****

system unit: not a good choice pertaining to cooling I suggest an Ultra

and, offcourse Biggest monitor you can afford afterwards

I cant tell you exactly what to get because then it wouldnt be a customization. But I give you soe pointers.

zach6490

I would reccomend a new psu, if it doesn't have twin 12v rails then the amperage output probably won't be good enough for your setup. Try something around 500+ watts

wombosi

that looks like a nice card.

would that fit in my existing soltek motherboard?
boost the RAM and bada bing?

prolly need a new mobo and cpu with that, eh?

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Video editing wouldn't take a really high-end video card, it's more CPU intensive than GPU intensive.

Anyways, if you're not gaming, the most expensive video card I'd recommend is the HD3850

Exactly what I was thinking.

You need more Wattage!!!!! (750w sounds real good)

Get an AMD duoprocessor (more transistors)

with 2G of Ram but leave room for upgrade

Nvidia GeForce 8800 with SLI

any seagate hardrive (prefferably over 250G) ****check rpm*****

system unit: not a good choice pertaining to cooling I suggest an Ultra

and, offcourse Biggest monitor you can afford afterwards

I cant tell you exactly what to get because then it wouldnt be a customization. But I give you soe pointers.

... Nah, there's no point correcting him. Ignore the above post unless you wish to spend around $500 on your GFX :rolleyes:

I would reccomend a new psu, if it doesn't have twin 12v rails then the amperage output probably won't be good enough for your setup. Try something around 500+ watts

You don't even know his setup then! How could you judge by that? :confused:

Will be posting build in next post.

Also, I forgot tomention ASUS motherboard is great for SLI!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And you do get more bang for your buck if you invest in a nicer video card for video editing. Its not just for extreme gamers.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Also, I forgot tomention ASUS motherboard is great for SLI!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And you do get more bang for your buck if you invest in a nicer video card for video editing. Its not just for extreme gamers.

And I also forgot to mention that you should only post when you know what you're talking about. Honestly!

Any motherboard will be good at SLi...

You invest in a GFX in your PRICE RANGE that is the best bang for the buck :rolleyes:

And I also forgot to mention that you should only post when you know what you're talking about. Honestly!

Any motherboard will be good at SLi...

You invest in a GFX in your PRICE RANGE that is the best bang for the buck :rolleyes:

Here is your price and here is mine..........big difference when your talking about video cards. NOT!!!! Dont tell me I dont know what im talking about.

Jabes

banned
Last edited:

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Here is your price and here is mine..........big difference when your talking about video cards. NOT!!!! Dont tell me I dont know what im talking about.

Are you really trying to tell me that the GTS 320MB will beat the HD3850? Man this is a laugh :D Sorry I just can't resist.

that looks like a nice card.

would that fit in my existing soltek motherboard?
boost the RAM and bada bing?

prolly need a new mobo and cpu with that, eh?

Listen to him. IF you want. :rolleyes:

If you followed up on that post, you'll find out that the HD3850 smokes the GTS 320MB. In fact, it smokes the GTS 640MB too. So basically, he told you to buy a slower and more expensive GFX.