Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Corsair Graphite 760T

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Something Else!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

beers

Staff member
God, the 600T came out in 2010! Barely seems like yesterday!
Yeah I had this grim realization the other day installing my new MB like 'christ I've had this case for ages' :p

That 760T looks pretty slick though.

spirit

Staff member
You should switch to a water cooling system. They are a bit more expensive but are worth the price!
I'm assuming you're talking about a full loop and not one of those all-in-one coolers. In that case, it's only worth doing if you're doing some serious overclocking and have components that can be overclocked very well, otherwise no. It's so expensive too.

Water cooling isn't the best thing in the world. Why do you keep suggesting it?

SG Ehren

I'm assuming you're talking about a full loop and not one of those all-in-one coolers. In that case, it's only worth doing if you're doing some serious overclocking and have components that can be overclocked very well, otherwise no. It's so expensive too.

Water cooling isn't the best thing in the world. Why do you keep suggesting it?
Because it works for me really well

spirit

Staff member
Because it works for me really well
OK... well, it doesn't work for everybody and nor is it in everybody's budget. What water cooling are you recommending too? Full loop or a cheap AIO unit?

What exact setup do you have and how much overclocking do you do? Sounds like you like your overclocking or you like to keep things very cool.

SG Ehren

OK... well, it doesn't work for everybody and nor is it in everybody's budget. What water cooling are you recommending too? Full loop or a cheap AIO unit?

What exact setup do you have and how much overclocking do you do? Sounds like you like your overclocking or you like to keep things very cool.
I keep things cool. I use full loop but I recommend a cheap one for his use

Darren

Staff member
I keep things cool. I use full loop but I recommend a cheap one for his use

No offense but I'm using the optimal cooling for my setup, trust me. My motherboard doesn't support heavy overclocking and running at cooler temps would help me get a couple hundred MHz at most. Not worth the money, by a long shot. Particularly since I'm using an older chip that will be replaced soon.

spirit

Staff member
No offense but I'm using the optimal cooling for my setup, trust me. My motherboard doesn't support heavy overclocking and running at cooler temps would help me get a couple hundred MHz at most. Not worth the money, by a long shot. Particularly since I'm using an older chip that will be replaced soon.
^ This.

@SG Ehren, water cooling isn't the answer for everybody and in actual fact some of the cheapest AIO water cooling units like the Corsair H55/H60 are actually worse than some of the air coolers of the same price. That's why I went for a Noctua NH-U14S and not a Corsair H55 or H60.

Laquer Head

You are an AMD guy... but OK.

Darren

Staff member
You are an AMD guy... but OK.

Lol what does that have to do with this? Trust me when I say dumping money into water cooling a mediocre 8320 isn't worth it. Even overclocking it a bunch won't save it's poor efficiency and this board couldn't either.

Also, believe it or not I'm really not as fanboyish as I probably come across. I use their processors because when I built my computer I was 16 with little money and since haven't changed my socket. I know full well their CPU's are pretty weak these days. I'm hoping Zen is a good product line but if they suck I'm all for buying an Intel. Don't need another Bulldozer.

On the GPU side I've been served well with their cards since my 5770 and generally they have been a better buy at my budget when GPU shopping. I also don't think much of Nvidia as a company, but they do make good cards. AMD's treated me well from a customer service standpoint and I generally find their product lines more interesting. My laptop is an i5 and GT 740M, so I've got some diversity. :p

spirit

Staff member
Back in their day the 8320s were quite a good budget option and whilst the performance wasn't the same as the i5 3570K or any other i5 they were quite a bit cheaper so I used to recommend them a lot especially since for a gaming rig you could put more money into the graphics card which is what mattered most. Back in 2012 or 2013 an FX-8320 paired with a 7970 or a GTX 680 was a good option and better than an i5 with a 7870 or a GTX 660 Ti and both would come in at the same price. The trouble is it's not 2012 or 2013 anymore and these CPUs are now outdated and it's now worth spending the extra on the i5, just for DDR4 RAM and the latest technology alone really. Hopefully when Zen comes out that will all change.

Darren

Staff member
Back in their day the 8320s were quite a good budget option and whilst the performance wasn't the same as the i5 3570K or any other i5 they were quite a bit cheaper so I used to recommend them a lot especially since for a gaming rig you could put more money into the graphics card which is what mattered most. Back in 2012 or 2013 an FX-8320 paired with a 7970 or a GTX 680 was a good option and better than an i5 with a 7870 or a GTX 660 Ti and both would come in at the same price. The trouble is it's not 2012 or 2013 anymore and these CPUs are now outdated and it's now worth spending the extra on the i5, just for DDR4 RAM and the latest technology alone really. Hopefully when Zen comes out that will all change.

They've aged very well though as games are now just using more cores for the workloads. Considering I can play pretty much any new game still with a chip I bought for $160 a few years ago, it was a good purchase.