NEWBIE here

theboy

Hey just joined the site...Looks like a ton of good material.

WEll I will get straight to the point.

Tonight I built my first PC ( Or at least tried to) And thought I have everything connected. Powerd the unit on and smell something funny. No longer then10 seconds later my cd-rom/dvd-rom combo drive is smoking. white smoke everywhere. Im frantic and cannot figure where the power button is because ( Im really tired and shouldnt have done this tonight in the first place....ahh) So everything is unplugged right now & my room is a terrible smell of burnt plastic.

Now I really hope someone can tell me what I did wrong....YES YES laugh all you want, Hey im a new to all this and am a bit cocky.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

34erd

We're going to need your spes before we can help you. Questions 101

Did you use a molex conector that split off from another fan? That can cause problems.

Also unplug components not needed to boot (CD drive, floppy, hard drive) and see if it boots properly.

Oh and did you remember to place standoffs?

theboy

Hey thanks for the fast reply 34erd.

AMD athlon 64bit
gigabyte technology
512mb ddr400 ram
76gig IBM hard drive (set on master)
cd-rw/dvd-rom combo drive (set on master)

Now I am a newbie here as posted eariler.
I am currently using the 300watt power supply that came with my case...there is some sort of splitter that is connected (power) to my cd drive and is also connected to my system fan....I think that may be the case.

what is a standoff??? please help.

Right now i am going to unplug the drives...good idea.

Thanks!

b182tm

A standoff is a brass screw you screw into the inside of your case between the motherboard and the case, to keep the mobo off of the metal of the case. And are you sure the smoke came from the cd/dvd drive?

D

theboy

Jesus I should have really Read up on this whole bit before I installed. NOw I know what those brass screws are...LOL

And I am almost positive the smoke came from the cd-rom drive....scared the shit outta me. Got it for a good deal and If I need to replace that no biggie, But still, What am I missing.

Thanks for all your help guys/gals!

ceewi1

VIP Member
theboy said:
Jesus I should have really Read up on this whole bit before I installed. NOw I know what those brass screws are...LOL

And I am almost positive the smoke came from the cd-rom drive....scared the shit outta me. Got it for a good deal and If I need to replace that no biggie, But still, What am I missing.

Thanks for all your help guys/gals!

If you forgot the standoffs, there's a reasonable chance your mobo is fried, and will need to be replaced. Install the standoffs, and try the computer again in a minimul setup (just mobo, CPU, Video Card, 1 stick of RAM, NO hard drives or CD drives). If it still won't boot, you'll probably need to replace the board.

theboy

motherboard shot...i think or could be the supply?? I turn it on and the fans barely go & nothin happens??? what did i do now?

Altanore

Did you play with a red little switch on the power supply that can change the current from 110v to 220v or 220v to 110v?

ceewi1

VIP Member
If that doesn't help, you're best off to either try the power supply in another computer, or to try another power supply with your computer.

If this isn't an option, you can force the power supply to start by shorting a couple of pins on the ATX connection (with the PSU plugged only into the wall, not mobo etc...):
2psfig7large.jpg

Here's the entire article. It's not about testing the power supply, but the principle is the same: http://www.directron.com/2powersupplies.html

If the power supply works, and all the cables have been connected to the mobo correctly your mobo is likely fried.

Oh, and one other VERY IMPORTANT thing to check first. Have you plugged ALL the cables into the mobo, particularly the ATX12? Neglecting this will also cause the symptoms you've described.

If you're not sure, the ATX12 is the middle cable in this image:
koolance24.jpg

34erd

Also read this guide and double check everything. If everything is in the right place, chances are your motherboard/PSU is shot.

Are there any beeps when it boots or does it just not do anything.

theboy

okay well here is what happened. MY dumbass didnt put the standoffs first when I mounted the Motherboard. I just used the screws and screwed them into the holes. So thus having the back side of the motherboard touching the case. (Hopefully its not the motherboard). I hooked everything up and powered it on & my cd/dvd drive was smoking pretty good. I was in a panik at the time and couldnt find the power switch. No more then 5 seconds later the whole system shuts down. I sort of heard a tick noise (coming from the PSU?) All the fans stopped. I let it cool down over night and mounted the motherboard properly (with the standoffs). Now I try & turn it on and I see inside and the System fan & CPU fan barely turn and then nothing (no beeps at all). So hopefully its just the power supply. Today I am going to get a new case/power supply and see if that works.

Now would there be any visable damage done to the motherboard if the standoffs were not set? And if so would there be any burnt pins on the back of the motherboard?

Thanks to all & I really appreciate your help

Just a newbie in need of some tech advise.

theboy

okay well heres the new problem....IM about to give up.

OKay I just bought a new case and 300 watt power supply atx.
Hooked the standoffs then did what you guys said. Hooked the motherboard up Just the CPU & Ram followed by the power supply. Then hooked all the F_Panel (front panel) connectors as many as I could figure out to the motherboard. THen I powered the sytem on AND>> NOTHING. CRAP, All I got was the cpu fan and the system fan to turn over for 1 second. As well As the blue LED light in the front panel of the case. But just for a second. When I turned the power on I can hear a "Tick" not a beep. & it sounds like its comming from the front panel. Not the motherboard of PSU.

HELP!

Thanks guys

ceewi1

VIP Member
theboy said:
Not the motherboard of PSU.

Is this the same (possibly fried) mobo?
Have you plugged in the ATX12V connection? Neglecting this will cause that to happen as well.

theboy

not the motherboard or PSU is what i meant to say. I am looking at my config. now and I see the 12volt ATX connection plugged in as I type this.

AS of now I have the 12volt ATX power connection as well as my 20pin ATX connection plugged in. Standoffs are proprely set in. I just have my CPU set properly, 512mb Stick of Ram, cpu fan. & my F_Panel (front panel) connections. WHat it now sounds like the motherboard is fried. IF that is the case, is my CPU, & Ram fried as well??? I would really hope this isnt the case.

Have any people on here returned motherboards to stores....the place I got it from is giving me alot of trouble. Do most stores have to analyze it before accepting the return for the same item?

I just want a working mobo!!! GRRR im going to rant & rave!

ceewi1

VIP Member
WHat it now sounds like the motherboard is fried.
I think you're right.

Do most stores have to analyze it before accepting the return for the same item?
In my experience, yes. And if you tell them you installed the mobo without the standoffs, they probably won't replace it:rolleyes:.

IF that is the case, is my CPU, & Ram fried as well??? I would really hope this isnt the case.
It's unlikely, but a possibility.

theboy

Well with all your knowledge combined. I want to thank everyone of you for you knowledge and expertise in this area. I am going to see if I can get a return on the mobo (wish me luck) hey and if not I will buy another, no problem. The CPU is what is expensive. I will say that the standoffs were there in set of the case-cases...wish me luck...you guys deserve something...c'mon now something goood...first person to help me get my system running gets at least 20 bucks to their paypal.......thanks everyone

theboy

amd socket 939

still cant figure this out.

got a new mobo, even a new case. hook the 12v atx as well as the 20pin atx

the cpu is set with the cpu fan and both ram sticks are set in locked position.

same thing happens system fan and cpu barely turn then nothing....nothing happens. no bios screen at all.

I am using a kvn usb switch...would that be a problem?