NEWBIE here

Yue

prolly nothin to do with it but i had a system tht would not start up, it would go on for bout 2 secs then turn off. I found it to be tht i had stuck the front panel conectors in wrong, i cnt remeba which ones but i set the correctly and it booted up fine.

theboy

good advice...this new cases i have the front panel connectors are werid.....doest the front panel connectors need to be in just to see bios setup??

cause i only have the psu, cpu and ram in right now

b182tm

Just curious, where are you buying your parts from? It sounds like you return it and get them the next day. Anyway, are you just kinda guessing where to plug in the front panel connections? You know, the mobo comes with a manual that says where to plug it all in. And are you still using the old motherboard, or did you say you got a new one?

D

theboy

Parts are from a local computer store. Just got the new mobo today. I am following the directions as follows from the manual on the mobo. Im not guessing. Tried the new mobo with both power supplys. Now I tried booting the computer up but the fans barely turned on (just like before) maybe like they get a tick of power then shut off.

right now I have tried differnt outlets around my house.

What I have plugged in right now is my CPU (Triple checked it) cpu fan into the mobo. All the F_Panel outlets (into the proper areas) 2 sticks of ram totaling 1024mb (correctly inserted). My 12volt atx and my 20pin atx are all properly set into the mobo. standoffs are placed...all of them.

WHat next guys?

I couldnt have 2 defective mobos from the same store now?

b182tm

OK, I know this sounds STUPID, but did you press the power button in front? I know, i'm an idiot...When I first built my comp., it didnt work, got a new PSU, and reinstalled everything. I was all nervous, hoping it would work, but it didnt. I realized 10 min. later that I forgot to push the front power button, and it worked...I'm sure that's not the case for you, but it could be possible.

D

BTW, the first mobo wasnt defective, it was fried when you didnt use standoffs.

theboy

your right it was fried....god how could I forget!!! LOL.
I have been trying everything possible. BUT I have not yet tried to push the power button in the front panel.
but shouldnt the fans run when I turn the back power button on without having to press the button in the front??

Hey thanks for the advice I am going to try it right now!

theboy

okay well I would give you a million bucks if I could B182!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DUH me GRRRR...

That button worked...I feel like a complete dumb ass. Now its time to mount the hard drive and the new cd/dvdrom drive. wish me luck

b182tm

LOL, no. when you turn on the back button, the fans whir for like a second, and then stop. It just turns everything on, like power. The green light on the mobo should turn on. When you hit the front power button, the beast roars to life.

D

b182tm

theboy said:
first person to help me get my system running gets at least 20 bucks to their paypal.......thanks everyone

Hmm....Well, I'm glad you got it working, hopefully it all comes together now.

D

theboy

well well well....this should be a classic thread...so much frustration on my end.
Windows xp pro is now installed & is working just fine! Thanks to all for your time on my end. & PLEASE, PLEASE laugh all you want because I was for about 10 minutes straight.

All in all thanks so much to everyone of you!

theboy

well now now I have 2 computers hooked up to a kvn switch and a router. i plugged in the cable that goes into the back of the router and the other end to my ethernet connection in the back of my mobo. Do I need to run the network wizard so I will be able to get online? If so, DAMN I should have bought that floppy drive when I was there DUHH.