Nexus 5

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Anybody planning to buy a Nexus 5 and getting sick of all the rumours and speculation on the release dates.
I for one am growing impatient and wish they would hurry up and release it already. I don't think those leaks by google were accidental at all, I think they were intentional, but they are dragging it all out a bit too long.
Count me as one who fell for the google kit page being a countdown to its release.
https://plus.google.com/+kitkat/posts
I reckon they will sell out fairly soon, I have to wonder if that is some kind of marketing tactic, the same kind that apple use year after year.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Tell me about it. I'm just like "Google take my money already!" My Inspire 4G has been a nice phone but it lags like crazy now and simply does not run very well anymore.

Anywho, from what I understand it's all LG's fault they haven't released it yet. They want to release another of their phones first/at the same time.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Tell me about it. I'm just like "Google take my money already!" My Inspire 4G has been a nice phone but it lags like crazy now and simply does not run very well anymore.

Anywho, from what I understand it's all LG's fault they haven't released it yet. They want to release another of their phones first/at the same time.
at least you have 4g, i have a 3g phone with a small 3.5" screen

I don't think it is anybody's fault really.
Google have a plan to release it when they release it, and looks like a whole lot of tech sites speculating about release dates and just throwing out any sort of information in the hope of gaining site traffic. nobody cares anymore about the credibility of the rumours.
I have been searching for nexus 5 news like ten times a day.
I figure google has to make some sort of announcement by 31st October.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Unfortunately it's not real 4g; it's HSPA+. :(

I just got LTE in my area though, so when I get a Nexus 5 it will be fantastic :good:

voyagerfan99

Staff member
I don't see why they'd announce it at a Google+ event. The rumors now are they'll release it on 10/31 or 11/1.

Geoff

VIP Member
The Nexus 5 is basically a slightly lower spec LG G2 (which has been out for a little while now), albeit a lower price. I've had the G2 since release day and it's the best phone I've used, and I tried out the S4, Note 3, MAXX, and more - none have compared.

I'm currently running CyanogenMod 10.2 so it's basically stock Android just like the Nexus 5 will have. If you want a better camera and longer battery, just get the G2.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
They're out for sale. Bought mine at 2:03PM :) Sold out already, but more in stock soon.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
I just got the 16GB black one because I don't store much on my phone and don't need to pay another $50 for space I won't use.

Geoff

VIP Member
I just got the 16GB black one because I don't store much on my phone and don't need to pay another $50 for space I won't use.
Personal preference, I like being able to create ROM backups before flashing new ROM's, and those typically run 3-5GB for me. For $50 it's not that bad, now in the past being $100 I definitely would go with the smaller size.

Can't wait to see your phone once we finally hang out again!!

voyagerfan99

Staff member
I don't bother with ROM backups. I don't care about SMS messages being saved, and I use Dropbox Sync for all my pictures. And when I flash the same version of Android the Play store automatically re-downloads all my apps.

And who knows; since the Nexus is straight Android I may just root it and not bother sticking a ROM on it. We'll see.

strollin

Both of my sons were waiting for the Nexus 5 to be announced to buy it. Unfortunately, Verizon won't be offering the Nexus 5 on their network. Neither wants to switch to a different carrier so both have decided to go with the LG G2 instead.

Geoff

VIP Member
I don't bother with ROM backups. I don't care about SMS messages being saved, and I use Dropbox Sync for all my pictures. And when I flash the same version of Android the Play store automatically re-downloads all my apps.

And who knows; since the Nexus is straight Android I may just root it and not bother sticking a ROM on it. We'll see.
Eek, what do you do if the ROM you flash goes belly up? Do you ever install mods? It's much easier to create a backup before testing out a mod, and if it trashes the OS just restore the backup rather than having to start fresh.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Eek, what do you do if the ROM you flash goes belly up? Do you ever install mods? It's much easier to create a backup before testing out a mod, and if it trashes the OS just restore the backup rather than having to start fresh.

Starting fresh doesn't bother me. Besides, I usually find a ROM I like and stick to it.

Geoff

VIP Member
Starting fresh doesn't bother me. Besides, I usually find a ROM I like and stick to it.
I guess I'm referring more towards mods, like sometimes I flash a modded camera for better quality photos, different navigation bars such as ones that are transparent, etc. Sometimes flashing those mods require you to either reset your phone or restore from a backup if they don't work properly.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
The most I (did) on my Inspire were GPS fixes and kernels to improve speed and battery life. Other things such as transparent menu bars were included tweaks in the ROM (Blackout ICS).

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Got my Nexus on Monday, I thought that was quite fast to come from Hong Kong to Australia over the weekend, given I had only ordered it on Friday, definitely the fastest overseas delivery I have received.
I think the phone is awesome, yes there are a lot of phones that do a lot of things better, but I love the phone.
Iphone has a much better camera, but the screen on the iPhone is too small.
Nexus screen is amazing and the phone is so light. I am happy making the switch from iOS to Android. Since I buy all my phones outright, and get a cheap phone plan, it helps that the nexus 5 is less than half the price of a comparable iPhone.
Apple must be losing so much market share by being stubborn and not releasing a bigger form factor alongside the iPhone 5s. Samsung have so many models.
htc have three sized models, the one, the one mini and the ultra. Even their mini model is bigger than the 5s, 4.3" versus 4.0".