Nexus 5

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Wow Ian, that was quick!

I'm expecting mine to arrive today, but since I'm at school I won't get to play with it until tomorrow when I have my mother drop it off to me. I'm really looking forward to it.

What do you think about SMS being integrated with Hangouts? I have the feeling I'll be using a third party messenger app.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Wow Ian, that was quick!

I'm expecting mine to arrive today, but since I'm at school I won't get to play with it until tomorrow when I have my mother drop it off to me. I'm really looking forward to it.

What do you think about SMS being integrated with Hangouts? I have the feeling I'll be using a third party messenger app.

yeah I was really pleased with the delivery
ordered on friday morning, and to get here in Australia on monday after midday is really amazing,
the phone speaker quality is not very good
which is ok, cause i don't like speaking on the phone
I don't like the standard dialer app at all,I may look at changing that.
I really really hate how sms is integrated into hangouts.
I am new to android and I really want to keep the two separate, and because I could not find out how to block sms on hangouts so i ended up installing a third party ams app. I tried gosmspro and it is good, it does what I want, blocking certain peoples ams and not sending me notifications or vibrating or making any noise. But I hear dodgy things about them trying to charge people every so often for the premium ad free version. If you have any good recommendations for an ad free sms app with a good inbuilt ams blocker I would be interested. handcent is the other one I heard about.
And look at other camera apps. Haven't used the camera much, but I noticed it was slow to focus, and not sure if that is a software issue.
The back is a fingerprint magnet as well.
[tab] the other administrator here, ordered his a couple of hours after I placed the order, he didn't get his until Wednesday night and he had to pick it up from the fedex depot.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
I've used Handcent before and it's pretty good. I'll probably be using Handcent over Hangouts.

Geoff

VIP Member
You know what's better than the Nexus 5 at $349? A higher spec LG G2 for $199 :p

i-RXJ3B5q-M.png

PCunicorn

I know they were selling a $120 Z87 board for $50 before, and it was actually a glitch and was like a H77 board. Maybe you actually just got a G2x :p

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Been playing with my Nexus 5 for the last few hours. It's really a fantastic and responsive phone! So glad I got this over an HTC One.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Been playing with my Nexus 5 for the last few hours. It's really a fantastic and responsive phone! So glad I got this over an HTC One.

The audio on the nexus 5 phone is not very good in my opinion.
oh and just don't drop it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkb5Qe_-0k0
ouch, if only those spigen people would deliver my case. I ordered one on amazon around two weeks before the phone was released and it still has not arrived.
I have already dropped the phone once, but it was not from very high and it landed on the back, so no real damage was done.

Geoff

VIP Member
The audio on the nexus 5 phone is not very good in my opinion.
oh and just don't drop it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkb5Qe_-0k0
ouch, if only those spigen people would deliver my case. I ordered one on amazon around two weeks before the phone was released and it still has not arrived.
I have already dropped the phone once, but it was not from very high and it landed on the back, so no real damage was done.
There have been lots of people complaining about the battery life and the camera, I really wish Google would make a Nexus phone that wasn't full of compromises :/

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Yeah the battery life is mediocre. I got a Spigen case myself and love it!

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah the battery life is mediocre. I got a Spigen case myself and love it!

which of the spigen cases did you end up getting.
Its a pity otter box don't make cases for the nexus 5
the otter box reflex cases, don't look the best but they really protect a phone in a drop.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
I got the Spigen Slim Armor. It's really quite nice. Already dropped the phone once (ouch!) and it did its job.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EV8Y4QI/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My camera app crashes when I take a landscape snapchat, and as I said before, the battery life is mediocre. Talking to a friend of mine who is a Google fanatic, he says this is what happens when you're on the bleeding edge. Google is working on an update that should be out soon to fix the issues most people are having.

Geoff

VIP Member
I got the Spigen Slim Armor. It's really quite nice. Already dropped the phone once (ouch!) and it did its job.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EV8Y4QI/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My camera app crashes when I take a landscape snapchat, and as I said before, the battery life is mediocre. Talking to a friend of mine who is a Google fanatic, he says this is what happens when you're on the bleeding edge. Google is working on an update that should be out soon to fix the issues most people are having.
Those are great cases, I have a similar one on my phone - works well (I've dropped it already and no damage), and they are very thin.

Did you try changing the runtime environment from Dalvik to ART?

http://androidandme.com/2013/11/new...shows-big-speed-gains-aims-to-replace-dalvik/

voyagerfan99

Staff member
I didn't even know about ART. I just switched to it. We'll see how things work.

ian

Administrator
Staff member

I initially ordered the spigen neo hybrid one with the silver border. I figured it was never going to arrive and ordered the exact same one as you in black on ebay from the spigen store. That and the fact that it was not available when I ordered the first case and I like how it is all black.
My main problem with the camera is it just taking too long to get in focus, and then it seems to jitter or go in and out of focus rapidly.
UPDATE: I actually just received the black slim armour case I ordered a few days ago from the spigen ebay store, it is not bad, not too bulky.

Last edited:

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I got the spigen neo hybrid case in the mail. If anybody is looking at buying a spigen case and choosing between the slim armour range and the neo hybrid range. I would definitely chose the slim armour range, it is a fairly nice case, I don't think it would protect it much in a drop, not the way an otter box reflex would, but it is not very big and I really like the all black slim case. The neo hybrid has a rubberised back but it is rather flimsy and the metallic looking surround is a cheap flimsy piece of plastic