Nexus One

speedyink

VIP Member
Android phones do the same thing with Chrome. Plus if it ain't broke don't fix it. I admit that Safari is not my favorite browser, but it does the job fine on my phone. I have the opera browser on my blackberry and it is cool, but I wouldn't call it better than Chrome or Safari. The micro browsers in mobile devices are pretty much all on par, from my experience. If that is a deal breaker for you, then I guess that is it and can't argue against your opinion.

Nope, by no means the deal breaker

The camera is a moot point because all camera phones suck, I was simply pointing out a very slim point and shoot camera would take better pics. However, I don't look at phones based on their camera, and almost every phone I have had (blackberry, iPhone, Motorola, Nokia, Sony, Samsung) has not had that great of a camera. As for the blue tooth speaker, is that Apple's fault or the speaker manufacturer's fault for not supporting Apple's mobile OS? Apple has a dev kit, a very nice SDK with a virtual iPhone. I have played with it. If the developer can't code it to work properly is that Apple's fault? When you have an issue with a driver in Windows, is that Microsoft's fault? Did your friend try different products that claim to be iPhone supported?

Natural beauty is never expected, I can't predict when to take a camera, no matter how thin it is. And yes, there are cell phones with decent cameras out there. Nokia n95 for example. While still not quite as good as a dedicated camera, it's pretty damn close.
Sooo..are you saying all device manufacturers should only make things with the iphone in mind? Honestly, it shouldn't have to be specially made for the iphone to work with it. A lot of things just half assedly work with it, with controlling the device seeming to be the key issues. If these work with 99% of the other phones, is it really the manufacturers fault? Or is something missing from Apples software?

It depends on what you install, some packages are in alpha or beta stages and clearly say unstable release or beta release. Meaning they aren't yet optimized and are buggy. I have had some apps crash my iPhone as well, but it was because I was using the beta versions of the apps.

Honestly I'm not sure exactly what he put on there. I have a feeling it might be his particular phone, cause even now with the standard firmware he still gets lockups and harsh lag sometimes. Albeit not as bad though.

Anyway, I'm pretty finished arguing about this. Bottom line, I'm not happy enough with any of the touch screen (smart) phones enough to actually drop the money for one. Keeping in mind I strictly buy unlocked so no contract deals for me (though it's nice never being in a contract)

PS: Some cell phones take decent pictures (K850i)
DSC05019.jpg

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
If these work with 99% of the other phones, is it really the manufacturers fault? Or is something missing from Apples software?

The iPhone runs off of OS X, it is a full blown version of Unix under the hood. It does not run a lot of the OSes other cell phones run, so yes, I bet it is quite different to develop for the iPhone, plus everything that is coded app wise is written in Objective C programming language.

How many products out there work flawlessly with Windows? I mean flawlessly? A very low percentage. Apple has less limited options but the things that officially support Apple products tend to work near flawlessly, unless there is a defect.

Even my high end custom PC builds with all brand name parts still have issues with Windows out of the box. I still have memory leaks with uTorrent like crazy and occasionally my system will not wake from sleep.

I am not arguing fan boy points here, I am simply stating that if something doesn't work right who do you blame, the developer or the manufacturer of the product? All the crap Windows products out there are really mostly at the fault of the developers of crappy said products. It is because they cut corners and use lesser quality products to build their product to sell to you at a bloated price for maximum profit.

Sit down and have lunch with a software developer for a major corporation and ask them about what they do. You find out most of the time they are in meetings about how to cut costs and market a product rather than actually coding one.

speedyink

VIP Member
The iPhone runs off of OS X, it is a full blown version of Unix under the hood. It does not run a lot of the OSes other cell phones run, so yes, I bet it is quite different to develop for the iPhone, plus everything that is coded app wise is written in Objective C programming language.

How many products out there work flawlessly with Windows? I mean flawlessly? A very low percentage. Apple has less limited options but the things that officially support Apple products tend to work near flawlessly, unless there is a defect.

Even my high end custom PC builds with all brand name parts still have issues with Windows out of the box. I still have memory leaks with uTorrent like crazy and occasionally my system will not wake from sleep.

I am not arguing fan boy points here, I am simply stating that if something doesn't work right who do you blame, the developer or the manufacturer of the product? All the crap Windows products out there are really mostly at the fault of the developers of crappy said products. It is because they cut corners and use lesser quality products to build their product to sell to you at a bloated price for maximum profit.

Sit down and have lunch with a software developer for a major corporation and ask them about what they do. You find out most of the time they are in meetings about how to cut costs and market a product rather than actually coding one.

Your missing my key point though. It's a CELL PHONE, not a computer. I don't give a crap what OS is on there, but it better damn well work with CELL PHONE bluetooth devices, and function well as a CELL PHONE. Which in the end is my main issue. Yes, Apps have a tremendous potential...but honestly, I want something to make phone calls, text message, maybe check my bank balance online, or take a picture of an awesome sunset or a cool plant I might happen to see. If I wanna use a computer I have 4 of them in my house.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Your missing my key point though. It's a CELL PHONE, not a computer. I don't give a crap what OS is on there, but it better damn well work with CELL PHONE bluetooth devices, and function well as a CELL PHONE. Which in the end is my main issue. Yes, Apps have a tremendous potential...but honestly, I want something to make phone calls, text message, maybe check my bank balance online, or take a picture of an awesome sunset or a cool plant I might happen to see.

No, they are smart phones which are basically computers. Email, SMS, MMS, web browsing, office productivity, remote management, remote log in, video games, multimedia apps, dictation, so forth. I can use remote desktop from my iPhone to control my servers at work. It is by all means a small portable computer.

The era of the cell phone is pretty much almost dead. The problem is, developers haven't take the time to learn how to code for objective C and Unix which is why lots of third party add ons are by Apple only third party companies.

You may not care what OS is on there, but that is probably the defining factor of how functional something is. The OS controls the device and if the developer can't make a product work, it is not 100% the fault of the OS if any fault at all.

speedyink

VIP Member
No, they are smart phones which are basically computers. Email, SMS, MMS, web browsing, office productivity, remote management, remote log in, video games, multimedia apps, dictation, so forth. I can use remote desktop from my iPhone to control my servers at work. It is by all means a small portable computer.

The era of the cell phone is pretty much almost dead. The problem is, developers haven't take the time to learn how to code for objective C and Unix which is why lots of third party add ons are by Apple only third party companies.

You may not care what OS is on there, but that is probably the defining factor of how functional something is. The OS controls the device and if the developer can't make a product work, it is not 100% the fault of the OS if any fault at all.

Dammit, I was happier in denial. I don't like the way cell phones are going at all. I like my simple little cell phone. Bluetooth hardware just works, buttons kick ass (yay tactile feedback), cameras with decent lenses, flashes and dedicated buttons, java applications...hmmm, I hope this phone never dies, lol

tlarkin

VIP Member
Dammit, I was happier in denial. I don't like the way cell phones are going at all. I like my simple little cell phone. Bluetooth hardware just works, buttons kick ass (yay tactile feedback), cameras with decent lenses, flashes and dedicated buttons, java applications...hmmm, I hope this phone never dies, lol

Well, they still sell and use pagers in certain areas, so I bet you will still be able to buy vanilla cell phones for a while. However, the blackberry and iPhone pretty much set a whole new standard of what a cell phone is.

speedyink

VIP Member
Well, they still sell and use pagers in certain areas, so I bet you will still be able to buy vanilla cell phones for a while. However, the blackberry and iPhone pretty much set a whole new standard of what a cell phone is.

Which sucks, because i know manufacturers aren't gonna go out of their way to make new killer versions of these types of phones. And it's all because the smart phones have become the popular thing. I still have hope that someone will strike it home one of these days and release a killer smartphone. I'm banking on sony to make a good cybershot smart phone.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Which sucks, because i know manufacturers aren't gonna go out of their way to make new killer versions of these types of phones. And it's all because the smart phones have become the popular thing. I still have hope that someone will strike it home one of these days and release a killer smartphone. I'm banking on sony to make a good cybershot smart phone.

Garmin made a GPS cell phone now as well, so in the future I bet there will be something out there that you like. Even if you are a very picky person:p

speedyink

VIP Member
Garmin made a GPS cell phone now as well, so in the future I bet there will be something out there that you like. Even if you are a very picky person:p

Haha. Well, if i'm gonna drop $600 or so on a new cell phone i want to like it more than the one I have now, do you know what i am saying? :p

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Haha. Well, if i'm gonna drop $600 or so on a new cell phone i want to like it more than the one I have now, do you know what i am saying? :p

I agree, I bought my iPhone second hand and at a really good price ($100). I wouldn't drop more than $100 on a phone personally.

spanky

*posting without ever using the nexus one*

I'm not a fanboy, but I don't think it's anywhere near the iphone. Apple set the new standard for handheld devices and now everyone is trying to catch up. itunes can be a bitch at times (when used with windows), but overall the iphone is close to perfect. Google/HTC/tmobile/etc won't sell nearly as many units. So, after Apple releases their tablet in a couple months, will Google come along in mid-2011/2012 and release their android "competitor" as well? LOL

The google voice stuff is cool though.

iphones = old news, jeeze mep catch up. android is the latest and greatest wave in smartphone world. its eating up all kinds of apples' sales. :p

as far as the nexus one goes. by the end of 2010, nexus will look like a g1 does to a moto droid. is it nice? yes. will there be better soon? oh yeah.

edit: sup tlarkin?