No files will work except

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Download this zipped file and unzip it then double click on it to run it to fix the registry entries.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_exe_fix.zip

Afterwards, you should be able to run exe files. Then do the following to scan your system for malware.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here or here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. Please keep updating until it says you have the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • A log will be saved automatically which you can access by clicking on the Logs tab within Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

If for some reason Malwarebytes will not install or run please download and run Rkill.scr, Rkill.exe, or Rkill.com but DO NOT reboot the system and then try installing or running Malwarebytes. If Rkill (which is a black box) appears and then disappears right away or you get a message saying rkill is infected, keep trying to run rkill until it over powers the infection and temporarily kills it. Once a log appears on the screen, you can try running malwarebytes or downloading other programs.

Download the HijackThis installer from here.
Run the installer and choose Install, indicating that you accept the licence agreement. The installer will place a shortcut on your desktop and launch HijackThis.

Click Do a system scan and save a logfile

Most of what HijackThis lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

Post the logfile that HijackThis produces along with the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware log

Lollipop Garbage

it still wont run .exe files.i just wanna clear out my program files,could somebody give me the fresh program files like NO downloads?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, that can't be done. Do me a favor, boot to safe mode with networking by restarting your system and press f8 to get the safe mode menu to appear highlight safe mode with networking and hit enter. See if you can run programs in there. If so do the following.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here or here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. Please keep updating until it says you have the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • A log will be saved automatically which you can access by clicking on the Logs tab within Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

If for some reason Malwarebytes will not install or run please download and run Rkill.scr, Rkill.exe, or Rkill.com but DO NOT reboot the system and then try installing or running Malwarebytes. If Rkill (which is a black box) appears and then disappears right away or you get a message saying rkill is infected, keep trying to run rkill until it over powers the infection and temporarily kills it. Once a log appears on the screen, you can try running malwarebytes or downloading other programs.

Download the HijackThis installer from here.
Run the installer and choose Install, indicating that you accept the licence agreement. The installer will place a shortcut on your desktop and launch HijackThis.

Click Do a system scan and save a logfile

Most of what HijackThis lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

Post the logfile that HijackThis produces along with the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware log

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So how did you get into windows now? How long as it been making this beeping? Sounds like you have a memory issue. Remove and reinsert the memory and see if it boots up correctly.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I need you to reboot in safe mode and see if it will allow you run programs. If the laptop won't reboot without beeping then you need to figure that out first and then we can deal with it not running programs.

Lollipop Garbage

it lets me in safe mode now,it deleted my google chrome prefrances when i got out of safe mode, im thinking about reinstalling xp or vista.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you able to run programs in safe mode? If you plan on reinstalling, then stay with XP. If you are able to run programs in safe mode then most likely you are infected and you should run the programs that i have asked you to run and post the logs.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You need to have someone back up any important data and reinstall windows XP. Afterwards, all the appropriate drivers will need to be installed.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have any data on your drive that you need saved before you reinstall windows fresh? To do a fresh install of windows means all data will be erased. If you have the XP install cd then you just boot to the cd follow the instructions and delete the existing partition or partitions and then repartition and install windows. Here is a guide with screen shots.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxpclean1.htm