No sound on my computer

skittlesluv18

My dad just bought a used computer. and there's no sound on the computer can someone please help me and tell me exactly what to download? I have Windows X P Professional Dell.

Okedokey

Please download and install PC Wizard on the affected computer (its in my sig).

Run it and go to FILE, SAVE AS and click OK.

Copy the text out of that file and into this thread.

That will tell us what software you need :)

wolfeking

banned
look in the device manager and see if it has any yellow ? on any component.

If there is, then post back with the specific model of computer and we can find the driver.

If there is not, then you need to grab a cheap sound card and install it.

Okedokey

look in the device manager and see if it has any yellow ? on any component.

If there is, then post back with the specific model of computer and we can find the driver.

If there is not, then you need to grab a cheap sound card and install it.

Dude, we just need to know what is in there first. It could just as likely be the motherboard chipset drivers. Secondly suggesting he needs a sound card is nonsense.

skittlesluv18

I just checked and everything looks fine to me. I have Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3. Intel Pentium

skittlesluv18

I already went to the manufacturers website to download audio and my computer already has soundmax downloaded to it. But there's still no sound coming out.

wolfeking

banned
what model Dell do you have? Doing a guess off just "it has a pentium" is not helpful at all. It could be one of a couple dozen models from the early 90s up to brand new.

Okedokey

Please download and install PC Wizard on the affected computer (its in my sig).

Run it and go to FILE, SAVE AS and click OK.

Copy the text out of that file and into this thread.

That will tell us what software you need :)

You need to do this.

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
The internal speaker on a desktop is just for a bios beep code error to trouble shoot. You will need to plug a set of speakers into the speaker port on the back of the computer. The speaker port is usually the light green port.

wolfeking

banned
That is what you need. In 99% of desktops, there is no sound from the motherboard speaker unless there is an error.

Go to your local bestbuy, HH greg, walmart or the like and grab a cheap set of speakers and test it if you don't think it will work. You should be out less than $10 for a cheap set.

wolfeking

banned
It will not help. You get no sound without a speaker of some sort. It is the same reason why you do get sound with your headphones.

And a sound card is more expensive.