No sound on my computer

skittlesluv18

The reason why I don't want to buy speakers is because,\. i've had this problem before on my other computers and all i had to do was download the sound card and it started working. My dad bought this computer on ebay and the seller wiped everything out. Then we went to the computer store and he installed for us the Windows XP Professional. Can't yall find anything for me so that i can simply download? I know im asking for to much but please?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Is this a laptop or a desktop system? If its a desktop, you need speakers. If its a laptop, it has speakers integrated into it. Do you have the speaker icon down in the system tray by the clock?

EDIT - Just read where its a desktop. Does the monitor have integrated speakers? If not, then you need a separate pair of speakers to hear any sound. There is no way around it.

wolfeking

banned
Assuming it is a desktop, and your previous post about the ?'s in Device Manager, there is nothing to download. You have your drivers.

Try downloading the Intel driver for your chipset and see if it will help. Doubt it will, as you don't get sound without something to play it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I edited my last post. You need speakers unless the monitor you have has included speakers with it. You won't hear any sound without speakers.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You have the speaker icon in your system tray, that means the sound is working you just need speakers..... Don't know any other way of putting it.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You're going to need speakers to hear any sound. The soundcard only produces the sound that gets sent to the speakers.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Man looks at it like this. Your radio in your car. Take out your speakers and turn the radio on, it lights up but bet your not going to get any sound, lol.

Seriously, like they all said, you have to buy speakers! Like stranglehold said, you need speakers for a car radio, same with a PC. You can buy a pair at best buy for cheap, make sure they are computer speakers with a 3.5 MM jack. Let me make this clear.

YOU HAVE TO BUY SPEAKERS
YOU HAVE TO BUY SPEAKERS
YOU HAVE TO BUY SPEAKERS
YOU HAVE TO BUY SPEAKERS
YOU HAVE TO BUY SPEAKERS
YOU HAVE TO BUY SPEAKERS
YOU HAVE TO BUY SPEAKERS
YOU HAVE TO BUY SPEAKERS
YOU HAVE TO BUY SPEAKERS
YOU HAVE TO BUY SPEAKERS
YOU HAVE TO BUY SPEAKERS
YOU HAVE TO BUY SPEAKERS
YOU HAVE TO BUY SPEAKERS
YOU HAVE TO BUY SPEAKERS
YOU HAVE TO BUY SPEAKERS

Cgoggz56

Agreed with all the above, a desktop requires speakers to play sound out loud, there is no way around this fact. However, if you really don't want to buy a cheap set of speakers, plug a pair of headphones or earbuds in to the back of the tower (I'm not sure if this is doable or not, I haven't worked with a desktop in years) and see if it works. If it doesn't, make sure that it is not muted and the sound is turned up. If that doesn't work and you still want to spend the money on a sound card, then by all means do so.