Non-gaming build

BikerTrash

New Member
I want to build a fast computer, main uses would be Web Development, Adobe CS4, eventually RAW picture editing, Internet, music and movies, and I want at least 3 22"-24" monitors.
Budget is around $1500 with the monitors. I have some stuff picked out, am I making the right choices?

-I want the case to be a CoolerMaster 932 HAF, when it goes back to $100.
-Is this a good PSU, and should I buy it NOW? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006
-HDD for the main http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136322
-2 of these video cards http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130395
-I am thinking i7-920, but can't decide on a MOBO.

*edit* This is no longer my wish list! http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=12433472
 
Last edited:
I want to hold off building til spring, so I am trying to get the best deals until then, which is why I asked if $110 for the psu was a good deal to buy now.

Will the video card run 3 monitors? Would this one be a step better? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121333

I am kinda considering the 922 HAF case....

I will have another HD for storage. I already have a WD 1T in an external enclosure, will add another 1T internal.

That MOBO was the one I was considering. ;)
 
If you want to wait until spring just wait until spring, prices overall will be better (even by few bucks) in spring just buy everything together.
 
I want to hold off building til spring, so I am trying to get the best deals until then, which is why I asked if $110 for the psu was a good deal to buy now.

Will the video card run 3 monitors? Would this one be a step better? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121333

I am kinda considering the 922 HAF case....

I will have another HD for storage. I already have a WD 1T in an external enclosure, will add another 1T internal.

That MOBO was the one I was considering. ;)

It would be one step better, but it wouldn't run 3 monitors. You need one of the ATI 5xxx series to run 3 monitors. I suggest this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102859&cm_re=5750-_-14-102-859-_-Product
 
Don't I need 2 cards to run 3+ monitors? I keep reading the 5xxx cards need another $100+ adapter to get the 3rd monitor to work. At what point do I reach overkill? 1G 256-bit? I am liking the MSI TwinFrozr.

The CM 932 HAF is on sale for $120 shipped, should I do it, or keep waiting for $100?

I did say spring, but if I can get everything on sale, it may be sooner!

Thanks for the help!!!
 
Does it have to be a desktop? Ever consider looking at a Mac? If not I would recommend an Intel build with a half way decent Nvidia card since Nvidia now has some API/Drivers that allow for things like CS4 to use the GPU to help render photos. This is supported on both Mac and Windows.
 
I use a Mac at school, and I don't really like it. Main thing is that I don't like "all-in-one" stuff.

Yeah I really wish Apple had a mid range pro-sumer mid tower as a Mac Pro is over kill for most users and not everyone is into having an All-in-One computer. That is why I suggested perhaps a laptop? I mean if you are going to do design on it seriously you may have to take your work with you to meetings and what not to show your clients and such.

I see you want multiple displays though, so that may be an issue with a laptop.

If you do custom build yourself a PC go Nvidia for the card. You can use their new technology which CS4 actually takes advantage for rendering photoshop work.
 
Last edited:
Well, I did it. Here is my final and purchased list: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=12433472

I got the case for Chirstmas, and immediately took it apart to prep for paint.

4215010446_6f34e14f49_o.jpg


This looks MUCH better!

4229828404_cc0b35fc96_o.jpg


The rest of my parts should be here Mon and Tues. :D
 
I will definitely do updates!

Red LEDs in the cooler, on the ram, in the front fan, with red cathodes, and all that black, I am anxious to see if it will look as cool as I think.

The "mostly black with some red" scheme kinda just happened. I am also changing the plain black rear fan to this:
r4l2r20crgp.jpg
 
Mondays.... :mad:

UPS man came today, delivered most of my parts and a DOA ASUS 24" monitor. Back to Newegg it goes.

Got everything installed and seems to run great, except that I got an "upgrade" version of Windows7, so until I get the full version, which should be 2 days, I have a BIG paper weight.

Anyway, I did take a pic. Next time I will get a modular PSU.

4247397666_0db555e90c_o.jpg
 
Back
Top