Nvidia Geforce 5500 FX Overclock

P11

VIP Member
OK, so now i did seperate tests on the Clock Freq and the Mem Freq. I kept the Mem Freq at retail which is 400 and i increased my Clock Freq by 10mhz i eventually got to 335 mhz at my max when i started seeing atifacts/pixels. Next, i lowered my Clock Freq to retail which is 270 and ran tests of my Mem Freq and i got up to a max of 486 where i got an error message to "please lower my setting." Now these are my retail specs and my OC specs:

Retail: 270mhz/400
OC: 335mhz/486 (These are Max)

I heard that i should lower all my OC numbers by 10mhz and then they will be usable at a safe level - is this true and if not what should i do?

NOTE- My Heatsink/Fan are stock on my eVGA GeForce FX 5500 256 mb ddr

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
I heard that i should lower all my OC numbers by 10mhz and then they will be usable at a safe level - is this true and if not what should i do?

you mean lower then what you found to be the highest stable settings? well if it's stable then you should feel free too just leave it although I also agree with that because when I've overclocked in the past I would lower it aprox. that for the safe secure feeling :).. but if it's not overheating and it's stable then do what you feel is best 4 you.

P11

VIP Member
ya i rather lower it by 10 mhz makes me feel "SAFE" is this also a good overclock score?

P11

VIP Member
i also just touched the back of my video card and its a light warm ---so i will fell the warmness for about 2 secs then my hand will get use to it....is this a bad thing that its warm?

P.S - do PCI fan cards work well next to a video card?

Last edited:

4W4K3

VIP Member
Warm is fine...just watch out for HOT!!! if you can't leave your hand on it for fear of burning that's too hot, also if your hand smells like melted plastic then that's probably too hot too lol. a PCI fan willl help keep the card breathing, but if it's not hot then i wouldn't go out and buy one unless you've got extra money. try keeping your card seperate from the other PCI cards...give it a little room to breathe. A sound card right underneath clogs air, and will give your vid card hot air from it's own surface. i put all my PCI cards towards the bottom so my AGP slot has lots of ventilation.

P11

VIP Member
try keeping your card seperate from the other PCI cards...give it a little room to breathe. A sound card right underneath clogs air, and will give your vid card hot air from it's own surface.

One second......ill be right back

P11

VIP Member
another thing i just found out is that when i made all my OC settings and change it to Performance (3D) from Standard (2D) and 270/400 to 325/475 - when i restart my comp everything resets to retail specs - goes down to Standard (2D) and 270/400
anyone know why?

4W4K3

VIP Member
So you got it all overclocked and finished now? How does it perform, can you make out a difference in performance?

P11

VIP Member
4W4K3 So you got it all overclocked and finished now? How does it perform, can you make out a difference in performance?

Yes, i think im finished now -i got it from 270/400 to 328/475
I see a large different in fps in wings of fury on 3DMark 03 (about 30-40 fps increased in each scene) and in battle of protoxy(or something) im getting about 5-15 fps increase. Overall there is a notable difference about 15-20% in performance and in my doom 3 demo it works flawless in high gfx settings-unlike b4 when it was choppy.

P11

VIP Member
Praetor Quote:
in my doom 3 demo it works flawless in high gfx settings-unlike b4 when it was choppy.

At what res?

1024x768 - my highest resolution possible

Corsair

Im kind of in the same boat as P11. I just put cool bits on this computer and when i put the settings to Performance 3D and detect optimal frequencies I get 271/314. If I try to up any of the clock settings memory or core clock and hit the test button it tells me that the test failed and moves the sliders back down.

Why wouldnt my detect optimal settings be as high as P11's? And why would the tests fail? I have an Identical video card and a bit more computer than he does.

P11

VIP Member
K, so my video card is a eVGA Nvidia Geforce fx 5500 and when i put it to detect optimal settings it detected 304/470. After that i left it like that for 1 day just to break it in. After that i raised the mhz from the core memory 5 mhz at a time but i set my memory to default b4 i did that, so (i started overclocking my core from 304/400,310/400,315/400 etc.) Also dont forget to tick in the box in the overclock menu where is says apply these settings when windows starts.

hope that helps

Corsair

Mine auto detects to 271/314 (with the performance setting on) and if i try to go to 271/324 and hit the test button it tells me the test failed and puts it back to 271/314.

There must be some setting wrong? I do have the apply these settings check marked.

Are there any other settings I should try? Right now I would be happy with getting it up to the 270/400 that the card was rated at. Any help out there?