Nvidia GeForce 8800GT / Rosewill500w psu

EndofAll

Also lovely? do you remember when on my computer you saw that black little plastic piece comming off my pcie slot? Will that do anything to the card or what? what does it even do?

lol i downloaded the speedfan program and it shows my processor overheating at 60c? is this right? with the little fire icon next to it.

Last edited:

Itronix

I have that Rosewill RP500-2 that you were considering (mine wasn't an open box) and a PNY 8800GT 512mb and I'm happy with them. Your processor will hold you back though. You'll be able to run 1024X768, full aa, at around medium settings. With a faster cpu, like a 5200+ or better, you'll probably reach high much easier.

Take a look at my specs. Granted I have an ECS board with an nforce 4, but supposedly that won't hold it back, according to a computer expert who is a friend of mine. So, using my experience with parts similar to yours, you will run good with the above settings, but you will drop below 20 fps with your specs if you go for high. I'm going to dump a 6400+ in mine this summer and hopefully stream through games!

Edit:

Oh yeah! I built a computer for my friend using that graphics card. He seems to be pretty happy with it. I played HL2 on it and it was beautiful. It's not nearly Crysis in requirements, but still nice.

Give this a try as well:
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

What were you doing when it said 60c? Is that at idle? Check what core temp says for your cores. I'm not too good with speed fan. For me, ECS uses temps sensors that are very poor. You could touch the hs with your finger and guess a more accurate reading. I don't know what motherboard gateway used, but you could have that same problem.

Last edited:

EndofAll

My cores are running at 42-45 each. The entire case is about 59c now. and yes it is idle. I even left the thing off for a few hours. Booted it back up and it was at 60c again

EndofAll

Okay now i'm getting scared, I tried Sandra,CoreTemp,PcWizard and afew other programs and they are all telling me my processor temp is 60c idle. I bought a can of air and sprayed the computer around and stuff and I guess it didn't help. What do I do ?

Itronix

Don't panic. I'd say that your temp sensors are off. Listen to core temp. You are probably running around 45c. Are all your fans working? Have you removed the heatsink lately and had to reapply thermal paste or something? About 60c for case and 60c for cpu? According to PC wizard, mine is at 81c. According to the same program, the cores are 57 and 58c. I believe your cpu temp is taken by the boardm while your core temps are taken by the cpu. Can anyone state how they feel upon this?

EndofAll

The cores are at 47 and 45 right now. and the processor is at 64. No i opened the side panel and blew some dust out of the box and off the fan. I only have one fan on the computer and i think its on the psu.

Itronix

Ok, well you can't have a 64 degree cpu temp with cores in the 40 degree range. Some sensor must be off. You might need to add another fan, if you can. That 8800GT will produce some heat.

Edit: Take a look here:
http://www.computerforum.com/115857-cpu-overheating.html

I learned a lot about cpu temps during this! I'm no expert, but you are probably experiencing the same thing. The conclusion comes in around the end or so.

Last edited:

EndofAll

The cpu dropped to 57 but it doesn't seem to be going any lower. HOWEVER. I rebooted my computer and went into BIOS and in PC health it said the CPUJ temp was 48c and the current system temperature is 38c which to beileve in or trust? Speed fan is telling me 56c now.

Itronix

Definitely trust your bios over speedfan, everest, pc wizard, etc. It sounds like those other programs are wrong, so I'd just judge by your cores while you are using it. My case has a reset button that I would press to go into the bios quickly, but my bios was off. If your cores are, say 45 and 47c, and you are able to quickly restart and go into the bios and it says 48c, you are safe. Now, if you are using the computer and the cores are in the 65c+ range, I think that's where the overheating starts. I believe these things overheat at 65+c.

You can also set a warning and shutdown temp in your bios (probably already set up). Being that your bios seems to be correct, if it was to try and overheat, the computer should shut down. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Itronix

Hey EndofAll. I think what DwayneZ is saying is that the card requires a 6 pin connector while some psu's don't have that. The Rosewill does, but I don't know if yours does. Either way, the cards usually come with an adapter with two 4 pins that meet into a 6 pin connector. You should be safe.

The cpu would work fine. It will just hold the graphics card back a bit. I had a link somewhere that showed the difference in cpu's performance in games when pared with a 8800GTX. Quite a different card, but the same principal would apply.

EDIT: The supply has plenty of power and it looks to have a pci-e 6 pin connector. It also comes with that adapter.
Now let me find that link......

Last edited:

EndofAll

itronix thanks very much, and thank you dwaynez . think you can find that link again with processor performances again i'd really like to see it. so will my cpu temps be okay with the gpu and the psu???

Itronix

Your temps should be fine. If the case heats up too much and causes anything to heat up, you may have to throw in a case fan. That psu is fine. Better? I don't know, they look to be around the same in specs. I'll take a look at your case in a minute. I'll keep trying to find that benchmark. The one I'm looking for had Crysis as a benchmark, as I recall.

Edit: Well, I'm still having trouble finding that benchmark, but here is another:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/...1292,1225,1224,1291,1220,1280,1279,1313,1283#

If your cpu (just estimating, as yours isn't listed) runs at around 83 fps, the 5400+ will bring you up to 93, which is a 10 frame difference in that game. Crysis will effect it differently, but you get the idea. Either way, you should be playing future games fine.

Ok.
http://affordablesurplus.com/gateway-300-24-power-supply.asp

This page shows this supply as a replacement for your pc. It's an atx supply. The supply that you have chosen is an atx supply. ATX= good job. That's what you need. If you are still nervous, grab the measurements off of newegg's page and measure the width of your case and see if they are different. I don't think you have anything to worry about though.

Last edited:

Itronix

No, I don't. Sorry about that. I'm probably the only person left under 20 years of age who doesn't :D. You're always welcome to send me a message, though. I'm going to be away at a camp ground for the weekend. I'll be leaving tomorrow afternoon. There is wi-fi there, but my not-so-great realtek 8185 in my laptop doesn't always pick it up :mad:. I'll try to keep on this weekend, though, regardless. I enjoy fighting with the poor signal!

EndofAll

aww okay im on my dads laptop letting my dekstop cool down.

im way to freakin excited for tht card and the psu

think newegg will still have em in stock by 6/23??

Itronix

Oh, yeah. I'm sure they'll still be there. If not, no biggie. I and our other forum friends will help you find others. They'll be there, though.