Oc Fx 5200

Bobo

banned
I have a FX 5200:eek: , and I want to OC it. I dnlded Coolbits, but I want to know if I can use an old CPU fan to cool it. If so, could I just tape it on with electrical tape or something?

P11

VIP Member
you could use a CPU fan but u would need to take the heatsink off -clean the remaining thermal glue -apply more thermal glue and possibly drill holes into your card if the holes dont align with your previous fan. Best thing to do is just get a VGA cooler which is meant for this. Go to Google and search for Thermaltake Extreme Giant III-its expensive but an example.

Bobo

banned
Why do I need a new heatsink? Why can't I just tape the fan to the heatsink on the card?

I'm not going to buy one exclusively for that, I was just wondering if I could use the one I had

I was exploring what Coolbits opened up, and I could not find any way to OC it. anybody know if the 5200 is OCable? I know it doesn't have a temp sensor

Bobo

banned
Yoinks, I don't need something that good or expensive. I just don't want to fry it if I OC. Which, btw, it doesn't look like I'll be doing. I have yet to find any way to control the freq

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
coolbits should add a 'clock frequency' section under the advanced->GF5200 tab of your display settings

P11

VIP Member
BTW its not a great idea to use electrical tape because the cpu fan wont take the heat out because u dont have any thermal glue to transfer the heat properly. Plus- ocing a 5200 fx wont give you a noticable difference maybe 4-5 fps.

Bobo

banned
P11 said:
BTW its not a great idea to use electrical tape because the cpu fan wont take the heat out because u dont have any thermal glue to transfer the heat properly. Plus- ocing a 5200 fx wont give you a noticable difference maybe 4-5 fps.

What good would thermal glue do? It has a heatsink, currently it is sitting on top of an IDE cable blowing air into the heatsink. And it is probably about 10*F cooler

I don't care too much about the diff, I just need some experience with OCing, and it is a crappy card, I need to atleast be able to say it is OCed...

I found that menu, what should I put it at? Currently it is at 230/400, and can go up to 460/800 from Coolbits, and if that is successful, I can get another OCing thing with a lil bit more registry changing

P11

VIP Member
230/400 sounds right. But i cannot go up to 460/800 i even bet it wont be able to make it to 290/450. But regardless raise your core speed 5 mhz at a time and test your fps to see if it goes higher and also watch out for artifacts, keep on going up until the game starts to lag or your fps is dropping/artifacts. When u get there drop your final speed by 10mhz then go to your memory and raise it by 8 mhz at a time and stop when the same effect occurs of when coolbits tells you it cannot go any higher. BTW do not just jump 20 mhz at a time it can ruin your card.

Bobo

banned
P11 said:
230/400 sounds right. But i cannot go up to 460/800 i even bet it wont be able to make it to 290/450. But regardless raise your core speed 5 mhz at a time and test your fps to see if it goes higher and also watch out for artifacts, keep on going up until the game starts to lag or your fps is dropping/artifacts. When u get there drop your final speed by 10mhz then go to your memory and raise it by 8 mhz at a time and stop when the same effect occurs of when coolbits tells you it cannot go any higher. BTW do not just jump 20 mhz at a time it can ruin your card.

sorry, it's 460/1GHz

why wouldn't it make it to 290/450? I clicked the optimal freq button, and it put it at 272/425 or something like that, I forget exactly what it was....but now the monitor has started shimmering...Why?

BTW, I put it back on 230/400 after the monitor started shimmering, and it went down a lil bit, but not totally. Degaussing helped a lil bit...

Bobo

banned
I was OCing the core clock, and I got it up to 300, with no bat effects in the game. When I tried to go to 305, it said the clock couldn't run at that speed, so I kept it at 300. Now I'll OC the RAM speed....

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
its like your CPU and RAM, you can't keep OCing it until you feel like stopping. it can only go so high and the driver restricts it to a 'safe' level so your card doesn't explode. usually the place to start is half of the driver max then work your way up/down until it can/can't handle it

Bobo

banned
Cromewell said:
its like your CPU and RAM, you can't keep OCing it until you feel like stopping. it can only go so high and the driver restricts it to a 'safe' level so your card doesn't explode. usually the place to start is half of the driver max then work your way up/down until it can/can't handle it

But it's not even hot! Is it just programmed like that, regardless of the heat?

Is there any way I could bypass it, without blowing up my card?

What do you mean go to half the diver max, then go up and down until it can/can't handle it? It is as high as it can go, with no bad effects in any game...

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
if it's not hot then in this case it's not heat related, its the parts can't that take the speed. its probably the memory that can't do it, does anyone have the max rated frequencies for ddr (can't seem to find it)?

edit: is it a 128 or 256 mb model? the 128 ddr packages are only rated for 500Mhz assuming the manufacturer used the fastest rated modules which is unlikely

Last edited:

Bobo

banned
Cromewell said:
if it's not hot then in this case it's not heat related, its the parts can't that take the speed. its probably the memory that can't do it, does anyone have the max rated frequencies for ddr (can't seem to find it)?

edit: is it a 128 or 256 mb model? the 128 ddr packages are only rated for 500Mhz assuming the manufacturer used the fastest rated modules which is unlikely

It is OCed to 300/505, and it is 128MB, so I guess whatever you said about the RAM is probably right......

But what about the core speed? Even if the mem can't go any higher, could the core speed?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
If it fails the test at a faster core speed then its still a hardware limitation, if that's the max speed the slider will goto then the core might be able to go faster (doubt it) but you'd have to find another tool to do it

P11

VIP Member
Bobo Quote:
Originally Posted by P11

sorry, it's 460/1GHz

why wouldn't it make it to 290/450? I clicked the optimal freq button, and it put it at 272/425 or something like that, I forget exactly what it was....but now the monitor has started shimmering...Why?

BTW, I put it back on 230/400 after the monitor started shimmering, and it went down a lil bit, but not totally. Degaussing helped a lil bit...
After your optimal fequency is detected...normally u can raise it an extra 30 mhz but its only effective 15mhz after the 15mhz increase (so lets say optimal freq is 270 and then u put it to 285 then u should stop because after 15mhz u card needs more voltage and your games tend to get lower fps and lagg) My Geforce FX 5500 stock is 270/400 i got it up to 336/486 and lowered it to 320/478

Bobo

banned
P11 said:
After your optimal fequency is detected...normally u can raise it an extra 30 mhz but its only effective 15mhz after the 15mhz increase (so lets say optimal freq is 270 and then u put it to 285 then u should stop because after 15mhz u card needs more voltage and your games tend to get lower fps and lagg) My Geforce FX 5500 stock is 270/400 i got it up to 336/486 and lowered it to 320/478

The games are not lagging at all, optimal is 292/?, it is at 300. Is there any way I can let it have more voltage?

P11

VIP Member
a voltmod but its risky, you can fry your card easily plus you will only be able to get out another 15 20 mhz.