Oc Fx 5200

Bobo

banned
P11 said:
a voltmod but its risky, you can fry your card easily plus you will only be able to get out another 15 20 mhz.

OK, then I won't bother......I have integrated gfx also, but, like all of them, it is crap

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
but I want to know if I can use an old CPU fan to cool it. If so, could I just tape it on with electrical tape or something?
Unless you OC to a stupid point ... no amount of OCing will threaten the heat integrity of the GFX5200 ... it wont OC that much...

Why can't I just tape the fan to the heatsink on the card?
Because if its hot enought o need active cooling then the tape will melt.

anybody know if the 5200 is OCable? I know it doesn't have a temp sensor
Temp sensor doesnt affect OCability. You can OC it for sure but it wont do thaaaat muchg given the overal poopiness of the card

just don't want to fry it if I OC.
You wont ... unless you OC to a stupid point ... for which ... if you're really doing crazy stuff like that then you deserve to.

What good would thermal glue do?
Thermal glue is for attatching the heatsink to the chip... translation: get a new heatsink first .. then worry about fan... of course this is all under the assumption you can OC it that much to start with

It has a heatsink, currently it is sitting on top of an IDE cable blowing air into the heatsink.
Huh?

sorry, it's 460/1GHz
Since when is a GFX5200 clocked like that? ... oh you mean the limit ok nvm ... well thats not happening either

Guess it is just the limit?
Yep

How come it won't run any faster?
Because it wont.

But it's not even hot! Is it just programmed like that, regardless of the heat?
Has nothing to do with heat. Has nothing to do with programming. Simply has to do with the analog quality of the materials and the process which is all luck of the draw,

Is there any way I could bypass it, without blowing up my card?
There's nothing activing stopping you from OCing ... so thus, nothing to "bypass"

assuming the manufacturer used the fastest rated modules which is unlikely
Aye quite true

But what about the core speed? Even if the mem can't go any higher, could the core speed?
Try and see.

Is there any way I can let it have more voltage?
Yes. But in this cases (1) its not worth it (2) do you really wanna be doing a funky voltage mod? (i.e., how good at soldering are you ... presuming the voltage mod works of course)

Bobo

banned
There's nothing activing stopping you from OCing ... so thus, nothing to "bypass"

Yes there is, I posted the message in a previous reply...

Bobo said:
It has a heatsink, currently it is sitting on top of an IDE cable blowing air into the heatsink.

Praetor said:

The fan is not attached to the card, it is just blowing onto it

Praetor said:
Temp sensor doesnt affect OCability. You can OC it for sure but it wont do thaaaat muchg given the overal poopiness of the card

A temp sensor would help to see if it is overheating......but it won't let me anywhere near that point

Yes I know the card is more than poopy, but on the HP site, it said 128MB Nvidia card.....I didn't know what it was. At that time, it worked fine for the games I was palaying, but I was just seeing if I could play some more intense games without having to get a new card.....

Last edited:

P11

VIP Member
well some games like HL2 are sensitive to overclocking so in some cases you might get less performance by overclocking.

Bobo

banned
P11 said:
well some games like HL2 are sensitive to overclocking so in some cases you might get less performance by overclocking.

why would it do that?

I can't play H2, i'm inly 13

funkymonky8u

lol look at my sig amazingly i can play hl2 on full blast with only lag in massive explosions lol crazy but true o and i think that my 5200 is the best 5200 there is (lol not to brag when theres barely anything to brag about be ne way) but when i went on newegg.com and search for all the diff 5200's and mine was 2nd to last (asylum 256mb) so would my oc capability be diff?

Last edited:

P11

VIP Member
funkymonky8u lol look at my sig amazingly i can play hl2 on full blast with only lag in massive explosions lol crazy but true o and i think that my 5200 is the best 5200 there is (lol not to brag when theres barely anything to brag about be ne way) but when i went on newegg.com and search for all the diff 5200's and mine was 2nd to last (asylum 256mb) so would my oc capability be diff?
I highly doubt u can play HL2 on Full Gfx -btw on what resolution?
Whats your video cards clock speeds?
And u only have 256 ddr which is not enough to play properly but u never know......

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yes there is, I posted the message in a previous reply...
I read the reply and hence I qualified my statement with the word actively

The fan is not attached to the card, it is just blowing onto it
My query was that you said you had a heatsink blowing on then card -- not a fan blowing on the card. Now if you meant "fan" then thats one thing (at which point it would have been expected to say fan), now if you mean heatink-fan then you're best off picking a heatsink and using it in conjunction with the fan

A temp sensor would help to see if it is overheating......
Quite right but it doesnt affect the ability to OC

How do you figure? The game doesnt have a built in database of stock settings for all the cards or anything.... it just makes DirectX function calls ... the speed at which those calls execute is independent...

lol look at my sig amazingly I can play hl2 on full blast with only lag in massive explosions lol crazy but true o and I think that my 5200 is the best 5200 there is (lol not to brag when theres barely anything to brag about be ne way) but when I went on newegg.com and search for all the diff 5200's and mine was 2nd to last (asylum 256mb) so would my oc capability be diff?
1. You mean BFG 5200. Asylym is a series name not a company.
2. You're not running it at full blast. Period (do you know what the full blast settings are?)
3. And if you can run HL2 at full blast, why the question on FarCry? http://www.computerforum.com/showthread.php?t=5473

btw on what resolution?
Even at 640x480@32 16x 6x ... theres no way in hell you're running it fast .... hell even my box lags out from time to time :|

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
funkymonky8u said:
so would my oc capability be diff?
why would it be any different, its the same parts just running a little faster out of the box and a different brand name on the finished product

P11

VIP Member
every card oc's differently even if u have the two same models u may get a higher oc on one of them

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
P11 said:
every card oc's differently even if u have the two same models u may get a higher oc on one of them
yes but the same model uses the same base parts for the finished product. this means that the OC limit will generally be in the same area for all each product line. Sure sometimes you get a really high OC or a really low one but more often than not they all hit in the same ballpark

funkymonky8u

whoa ok i said this in another thread i didnt mean to say hl2 sry i mean ut2004 and it all depends on wut maps im playing in so just please just stop this lil dispute now and sencondly i though ocing my card would b diff than bobo's cuz mine has twice the memory so i thought mine mine would be a lil tougher to ocing and as i said somewhere else and i quote w/o quotes lol i dont no much about ocing im just getting started and have u look at my rating to the right side im a computer USER not adiict or anything higher so dont expect massive answers with tons of comp lingo but expect me to unserstand most of the stuff

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
whoa ok I said this in another thread I didnt mean to say hl2 sry I mean ut2004 and it all depends on wut maps im playing
At what resolution? :)

i though ocing my card would b diff than bobo's cuz mine has twice the memory so I thought mine mine would be a lil tougher to ocing and as I said somewhere else and I quote w/o quotes lol I dont no much about ocing im just getting started
:confused:

funkymonky8u

well i thought that mine would be better at handling diff clock freq :confused: and anyway i got a new 512 ram card and i can play "HL2" and yes this time i mean HL2 on almost full blast just a couple settings to the right that i dont really understand (lol :D ) that are at the middle or w/e but all teh settings to the left are on high and the settings i have em on is 1024X768X32 and it only lags every once n a while so ya this time i mean it so lets not start a whole new thread about an accident post, k?

Last edited:

P11

VIP Member
i still dont believe you..........512 of ram helps load speeds and such, not gameplay that much so u can play hl2 on 1024X768X32 with a oc'd fx 5200

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
this time I mean it so lets not start a whole new thread about an accident post, k?
Not the kinda posting attitude a forum admin wants to see....

Ok now to set things right.
1. The 5200 is a part of the GeForceFX series
2. The GeForceFX series sucks ass running the DirectX9 codepath
3. HL2 is a DirectX9-based game
4. See the attatched image for the GeForceFX5200 Ultra -- on a faster system than yours too. For the rest of the article: http://www.tomshardware.com/business/20030911/half-life-01.html

Attachments

• image4.gif
    image4.gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 64

Bobo

banned
Praetor said:
Not the kinda posting attitude a forum admin wants to see....

Ok now to set things right.
1. The 5200 is a part of the GeForceFX series
2. The GeForceFX series sucks ass running the DirectX9 codepath
3. HL2 is a DirectX9-based game
4. See the attatched image for the GeForceFX5200 Ultra -- on a faster system than yours too. For the rest of the article: http://www.tomshardware.com/business/20030911/half-life-01.html

You sayin I would get better results if I used directx 8->?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
You sayin I would get better results if I used directx 8->?
To play HL2 you need to have direct9 installed if im not mistaken however as I understand it, you do not need to make use of the directx9 codepath ... by running HL2 in directx8 mode you'll get a significant performance improvement.