Got to try a few of my friends lenses with my 50D yesterday :D

These few were taken with a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8

img1342am.jpg

img1471ft.jpg

img1557s.jpg

img1561.jpg

These three were taken with a Canon 100 f/2.8

img1546z.jpg

The ant is distorted cause I cropped the picture.
img1584c.jpg

img1537.jpg

Fatback

VIP Member
^ I wish I had friends with lens I could borrow. Everybody I know with a DSLR either has Nikon, or Canon.

Did my first "real" photo shoot today for a friend. Wish I had better lighting, but still turned out OK.

adilyne.jpg

4877183838_b5ddd3ecbf_b.jpg

Ethan3.14159

My first pictures with my first DSLR. :D Sorry for the upcoming picture spam. I had way too much fun with this today! Any feedback/advice would be much appreciated since I know less than nothing about taking proper photos and getting the proper settings on the camera.

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

Last edited:

Fatback

VIP Member
What kind of camera did you get Ethan? I like the sunset one, and the one with the bubbles looks cool. Are you using manual focus? just wondering because all of them look a little out of focus, or maybe it's blur. If you using Auto Focus then make sure you use just one AF Point that way you pick what you focus on, and not the camera. Other then that they look great. Keep shooting, and practicing. Also read your manual, then read it again, after then read it again. Put it beside your bed and read it every night before you go to sleep. It will make a world of difference if you know everything you can about your camera.

bkribbs

If you using Auto Focus then make sure you use just one AF Point that way you pick what you focus on, and not the camera.

How do I do that?

EDIT- I know I am not Ethan, but here is the answer to what he got:

Finally! Starting to attempt decent photography. :D

Canon Rebel XS/1000D

I took a few pictures today. (Going to post some in the Post Your Pictures thread) It's definitely a bit of a shock going from a standard P&S. And I haven't had my own P&S for 3 years.... I'm really loving it though! There's a hell of a learning curve, but it's awesome so far.

Fatback

VIP Member
How do I do that?

EDIT- I know I am not Ethan, but here is the answer to what he got:

I don't own a Canon so I'm not sure. It's on page 60-61 of his manual though. Also jnskyliner34 owns the same camera, so I'm sure he would be a big help.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Also read your manual, then read it again, after then read it again. Put it beside your bed and read it every night before you go to sleep. It will make a world of difference if you know everything you can about your camera.

Yes. But most importantly is the actual practice. Take a trillion pictures. Mess around with all the settings. Play around with the exposure settings, ISO and White-Balance.

Fatback

VIP Member
Yes. But most importantly is the actual practice. Take a trillion pictures. Mess around with all the settings. Play around with the exposure settings, ISO and White-Balance.

Of course, but if he doesn't know how to change/set his white Balance, or how to change his exposure then practice will get him no where.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Yes, you're right. I just wanted to emphasize that actual camera practice is more important than theory from the manual. But yes, reading the manual some to learn the controls is helpful.

Fatback

VIP Member
Yes, you're right. I just wanted to emphasize that actual camera practice is more important than theory from the manual. But yes, reading the manual some to learn the controls is helpful.

I'm not saying the manual will teach you how to take a good photo. It will teach you how to use your camera to make it easier. I never said reading the manual would teach him composition, exposure, etc etc. Knowing how to use your camera is just as important as practicing.

Ethan3.14159

Thanks for the advice guys. :) Of course the first day I get the camera I was wayyy too excited to even touch the manual. I just took pictures of everything I could find, and just randomly fiddled with the settings until it worked. :p I'm still doing that a bit, but I've settled down and started studying it a bit more.