*Official* Post Your Pictures Thread

Geoff

VIP Member
The original photo is crap, boring, and bland. It's got almost the same color throughout the entire photo. The edited one is much more interesting.
Exactly. There are lots of much better examples as well, this is just one I quickly found to help demonstrate what I was talking about.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
What a lot of people who think editing is cheating don't get is that the camera sensor DOES NOT capture an image the way our human eye sees it. The human eye sees a much higher dynamic range, that's why when you take a picture it looks bland so editing a picture to make it pop is the least you can do to make it justice, make it look good and make it comparable or better than what you saw through the lens.

Geoff

VIP Member
What a lot of people who think editing is cheating don't get is that the camera sensor DOES NOT capture an image the way our human eye sees it. The human eye sees a much higher dynamic range, that's why when you take a picture it looks bland so editing a picture to make it pop is the least you can do to make it justice, make it look good and make it comparable or better than what you saw through the lens.
True. And on the topic of editing, could you imagine if you hired a wedding photographer and they gave you back unedited pictures?

Punk

Staff member
Here's an example.

Here is a macro shot I took, this is straight out of the camera without any editing:

Now I decided to edit it, adjust the contrast, exposure, saturation, add some effects, etc. Can you honestly say the original photo is better?

Dude chill out! I said some people feel that way, I never said I do. I only said I can't stand selective colors or that kind of unatural editing. And you know I do edit.

spirit

Staff member
The edited photo is obviously superior. I actually find the editing more fun than the shooting - taking the photograph does not finish after I've pressed the shutter button. ;)

Kornowski

VIP Member
I don't get why people get so protective with their photos. It's art, I would be pleased if people shared my photos (credit or not). And even if they claimed them as theirs, does it really matter in the end? In the end you know it's not their art, and they have no way of doing something similar or proving that it's theirs, no that it matters, you KNOW it's your art.

That's how I see it. That's not to say I don't have a watermark. I think, like Geoff said, a nice, elegant watermark adds to the picture if done right.

I suppose it's different when you're making a living out of it. I watermark my images so that if they're used elsewhere other than my website, people know who's they are. If you have a good piece of work, you want to be recognised for it, as there's potential to get work from it. If there's no watermark, people won't know who to contact.

I don't agree with this. I do edit a little bit but to some people editing is cheating, and it has nothing to do with knowing how to do it properly.

I think I'll probably spend half an hour editing each photograph at the very least, start with basic WB corrections, crops, rotation and colours and then move into Photoshop and remove distracting objects/features, clean things up a little, move something if it's really in the wrong place etc.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Not all of them, but a lot of them.

Well yeah, a considerable amount of them.

Here's an example I did last year, here's the RAW photograph and then the final item -

1KMSiqM.jpg

spirit

Staff member
You expect that kind of editing with commercial photography though. You did a good job, Danny. :good:

I think you all know my views on editing and the kind of stuff I do by now. ;)

Kornowski

VIP Member
You expect that kind of editing with commercial photography though. You did a good job, Danny. :good:

I think you all know my views on editing and the kind of stuff I do by now. ;)

Yeah, it has to look perfect and there's no way you can nail it in camera alone. I think editing is fine for any photograph, it's not cheating - it's taking something, and making it better. So if you have a great photo, sometimes a bit of editing can turn it into an amazing photo.

spirit

Staff member
Yeah, it has to look perfect and there's no way you can nail it in camera alone. I think editing is fine for any photograph, it's not cheating - it's taking something, and making it better. So if you have a great photo, sometimes a bit of editing can turn it into an amazing photo.

Exactly. That's how I see it too.

Geoff

VIP Member
You have to be naive to think that the majority of good photos haven't been edited in one way or another. How is removing objects and moving things cheating? Sometimes you take a photo and the only location includes some light pole, some distracting mark on a wall, a cruise ship in the distance, etc. Removing those objects make the photo look a lot better, and it actually reflects more appropriately what the location is really like.

Punk

Staff member
You have to be naive to think that the majority of good photos haven't been edited in one way or another. How is removing objects and moving things cheating? Sometimes you take a photo and the only location includes some light pole, some distracting mark on a wall, a cruise ship in the distance, etc. Removing those objects make the photo look a lot better, and it actually reflects more appropriately what the location is really like.

Dude seriously, read my posts, I said it, most pictures are heavily edited, not all of them, but most of them.
Secondly, it's my point of view on the subject, I don't expect you guys to agree with me, it's just my opinion. Adjusting exposure and saturation is ok for me. Removing things is turning a photograph into a digital image/art. I make the difference, you don't have to ;)

G80FTW

Ummm. How do you remove a cruise ship and a light pole from a picture in a way that no one will notice :confused:

Perhaps Im just not that good at editing haha.

On the topic of photo editing.....

This one I combined 2 pictures and did some major color changes. This is what I do when Im bored.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Ummm. How do you remove a cruise ship and a light pole from a picture in a way that no one will notice :confused:

Perhaps Im just not that good at editing haha.

This one I combined 2 pictures and did some major color changes. This is what I do when Im bored.
I mean from a distant photo, such as if you are only there for a short while and want a picture of the ocean without a giant cruise ship in the background.

Granted if this was my photo it would be much higher resolution so easier to work with, and I'd spend more time editing it.

G80FTW

Still on the topic of edited pictures I made this:

The picture of the new car obviously isnt mine, but the 1997 one is. And my car :) Personally, I like the look of my car better. It doesnt look sporty, it looks like what it was designed to be....a luxury car. The new S600 Coupe just looks like a mess.

I would almost guess that Mercedes has hired an Italian car designer. They seem to be trying to be all radical and menacing, which is not what a Mercedes is at all unless its an AMG or other tuned version. Mercedes is a name of a luxury car, not a supercar. Next thing they will do is drop all their letter classes and rename all their cars with names like "Snort-thruster 3000" (taken from Jeremy Clarkson).

Last edited: