*Official* Post Your Pictures Thread

spirit

Staff member
Thanks for pointing it out but it's a very minimal amount compared to how much I get with the Nikon kit lens. I actually struggle to see it, though I'm aware it's there.

Below is a photo I took a year or so ago with the Nikon kit lens - much worse for chromatic aberration than the Sigma (which actually handles it really well, I feel).

Forest Sunshine by JasonBrown2013, on Flickr

Here are some more recent photos with the Sigma 10-20:

Mincarlo, Lowestoft by JasonBrown2013, on Flickr

Lowestoft Beach by JasonBrown2013, on Flickr

Lowestoft Harbour by JasonBrown2013, on Flickr

Halloween tonight so hoping to get some shots of pumpkins last I did last year. :)

Last edited:

NikonGuy

banned
Thanks for pointing it out but it's a very minimal amount compared to how much I get with the Nikon kit lens. I actually struggle to see it, though I'm aware it's there.

Below is a photo I took a year or so ago with the Nikon kit lens - much worse for chromatic aberration than the Sigma (which actually handles it really well, I feel).

Forest Sunshine by JasonBrown2013, on Flickr

Here are some more recent photos with the Sigma 10-20:

Mincarlo, Lowestoft by JasonBrown2013, on Flickr

Lowestoft Beach by JasonBrown2013, on Flickr

Lowestoft Harbour by JasonBrown2013, on Flickr

Halloween tonight so hoping to get some shots of pumpkins last I did last year. :)
Nice pictures, I like the first one tbh, it's really mystic. And on the last photo, would you be able to tell me where you took the meter reading? Just curios, thanks

spirit

Staff member
Thanks. I don't really bother with light meters and the rest of it. I just set the camera in Program Auto and ISO 100 and shot, lol.

Punk

Staff member
Thanks. I don't really bother with light meters and the rest of it. I just set the camera in Program Auto and ISO 100 and shot, lol.

Oh you don't take your shots in manual? As far as white balance goes I use auto but all my shots are taken in M mode, there is so much you can do with the variation of settings.

I don't bother with light meters though, most dslr have good built-in TTL "light meters" nowadays.

spirit

Staff member
Oh you don't take your shots in manual? As far as white balance goes I use auto but all my shots are taken in M mode, there is so much you can do with the variation of settings.

I don't bother with light meters though, most dslr have good built-in TTL "light meters" nowadays.

I rarely shoot in manual. I set the exposure bias and the ISO and that's about it. Shooting RAW means I can change stuff like white balance later so I leave that on auto too.

I only use manual if I'm doing night photography or long exposures and even then I just use shutter priority and set ISO and shutter speed.

Punk

Staff member
Here are a few from tuesday:

moucherolle2_zps651a72f8.jpg

moucherolle3_zps775f169b.jpg

(that's the Mt Blanc in the background)

Here is from this summer, not sure I posted them here:

ecrins13_zpsb7635cd4.jpg

ecrins12_zpsc2dc5c67.jpg

Punk

Staff member
Nice shots Ben and stunning scenery but I'm still not hot on that watermark if I'm honest.

I'll be honest too, it is just a way of giving people a way to contact me if needed. I don't have the skills or time to make a better one, hence why it is in corners and not over the picture.

spirit

Staff member
I'll be honest too, it is just a way of giving people a way to contact me if needed. I don't have the skills or time to make a better one, hence why it is in corners and not over the picture.

I'd just change the font to something that's not a script font, that's all.

NikonGuy

banned

@ Spirit. What Punk said. I mean the lightmeter built into your camera. I saw your thread about upgrading to a D7xxx Body in a few years. Tbh I don't think you should until you master Manual mode in your camera.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I rarely shoot in manual. I set the exposure bias and the ISO and that's about it. Shooting RAW means I can change stuff like white balance later so I leave that on auto too.

I only use manual if I'm doing night photography or long exposures and even then I just use shutter priority and set ISO and shutter speed.

I personally only shoot in manual mode when I'm doing long exposures for something. Otherwise I use aperture priority. I don't always have time to determine an appropriate shutter speed.

However the new Rokinon 35mm lens I just bought is fully manual, so I'll be using manual mode when I take pictures with that lens :)

rokinon35.jpg

spirit

Staff member
@ Spirit. What Punk said. I mean the lightmeter built into your camera. I saw your thread about upgrading to a D7xxx Body in a few years. Tbh I don't think you should until you master Manual mode in your camera.

It's not that I don't know how to shoot manual and set the shutter speed or what effect I can get by changing settings etc (but I never use the light meter), it's more to do with what voyagerfan said about not wanting to set a shutter speed for every single shot I take. When I'm shooting I want to spend time composing my shots properly and finding interesting things to capture, not worrying about shutter speeds and so on.

Saying 'I shoot in full manual and nothing else!' doesn't make you a good photographer and certainly not a professional one. People who say that annoy me. There is so much more to it.

Last edited:

Punk

Staff member
Saying 'I shoot in full manual and nothing else!' doesn't make you a good photographer and certainly not a professional one. People who say that annoy me. There is so much more to it.

I don't think that's where he was going at all, nor did he said your shots weren't good (nor do I think btw). It is only my opinion and experience on it (be it non-professional) but setting up a proper shutter speed i and aperture is part of the composition because you can achieve effects and atmospheres you can't if one of these settings is set to auto. Of course setting it on auto doesn't mean bad pictures.

spirit

Staff member
I don't think that's where he was going at all, nor did he said your shots weren't good (nor do I think btw). It is only my opinion and experience on it (be it non-professional) but setting up a proper shutter speed i and aperture is part of the composition because you can achieve effects and atmospheres you can't if one of these settings is set to auto. Of course setting it on auto doesn't mean bad pictures.

I know it wasn't what he was saying. I was just pointing out that there are a good number of people out there who think that they're automatically fantastic at photography because they only shoot in manual, and that's not right at all. I just said it because we were having the discussion about shooting modes.

People have their own ways of shooting. If you get the results then who cares what mode you used? You shoot in the way that best suits you, whether that's manual or program auto or something else.

@NikonGuy I'd like to see some of your photos! Do you have Flickr or anything like that? :)

Last edited:

NikonGuy

banned
I don't use flickr or anythng sorry. But I'll upload a few.

8yhtoo.jpg

1zey22q.jpg

2cgg6j7.jpg

When I get back to my desktop in a few I'll upload some other cool ones.

Geoff

VIP Member
I shoot in aperture priority mode most of the time. Most of my photos are either landscapes or sports, in landscapes I set my aperture to either f/2.8-f/4 if I'm looking for some bokeh when taking a foreground shot with a landscape background, or f/8-f/11 for when I want to take a distant landscape shot. It makes no difference to me if Im shooting at f/8 what my shutter speed is, as long as it's twice the focal length. 1/250 or 1/2000 doesn't make any difference, so shooting in full manual just takes extra time, especially if I'm taking photos with varying sun and clouds.

In sports, depending on the lightning conditions I'll shoot either in aperture priority or full manual. Indoors where the lightning is consistent I'll shoot full manual, but outdoors say at a soccer or lacrosse game under party cloudy skies, I'll shoot Av to avoid drastically underexposed photos. On sunny or overcast days, I tend to shoot outdoor sports on full manual.

NikonGuy

banned
Thanks, here are a couple more :)

35he0w2.jpg

52c0ar.jpg

I have a different processing app on my tablet which these images look alot better with that than they do with the one on my computer lol

NikonGuy

banned
I shoot in aperture priority mode most of the time. Most of my photos are either landscapes or sports, in landscapes I set my aperture to either f/2.8-f/4 if I'm looking for some bokeh when taking a foreground shot with a landscape background, or f/8-f/11 for when I want to take a distant landscape shot. It makes no difference to me if Im shooting at f/8 what my shutter speed is, as long as it's twice the focal length. 1/250 or 1/2000 doesn't make any difference, so shooting in full manual just takes extra time, especially if I'm taking photos with varying sun and clouds.

In sports, depending on the lightning conditions I'll shoot either in aperture priority or full manual. Indoors where the lightning is consistent I'll shoot full manual, but outdoors say at a soccer or lacrosse game under party cloudy skies, I'll shoot Av to avoid drastically underexposed photos. On sunny or overcast days, I tend to shoot outdoor sports on full manual.

I get your point. However the reason I stay in full manual is not because I think it makes me better, I just like spending time on the camera, trying different affects. It also helps me learn what shutter speed and Fstop works in what light and so on. It's all personal preference. It's like RAW vs JPEG. I used to shoot Jpeg only. Now I shoot Jpeg on 1 card, and Raw on the other. ( The camera holds 2 cards ) I do it like that because I like to have a Jpeg I can use right away if I "Need" to. But I also have Raw for processing when I have time / want.