more photos
_MG_1393.jpg

_MG_1421.jpg

_MG_1446.jpg

_MG_1554.jpg

still practicing panning
_MG_1640.jpg

_MG_1671.jpg

photo of my toys, taken with a point and shoot.
DSC00102.jpg

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Want to elaborate then?

Yeah, if you're going to shoot with an exposure that long (3 seconds) with that lighting, you would need a high f/stop number, I don't know like F/16 for that picture? I'm just throwing out numbers.

Anyways, to compensate for the extra time that light will be entering the sensor, the aperture is literally set to let less light in (the higher the f/stop number, the less light it allows in)

So I'm guessing when you tried it, the aperture on your camera was set to something low (f/8 or something). Did you use Aperture mode? what kind of camera do you have?

ScOuT

VIP Member
Thanks for all the advice a few pages back!

Irishwhistle
vroom_skies
Ramomar

Every time I look at this thread it makes me want a good camera. The pictures everybody here takes are amazing;)

Basically I have 3 options:
Nikon 3000
Nikon 60D
Canon XSi

They are all at my local store and I don't have much time to order anything (leaving soon) Both Nikon cameras are $499 for the kit, The Canon is $570 for the kit. I really don't wanna spend much because the chance of destroying it is high. One hard fall on a mountain or one hard ruck sack toss from a helicopter can destroy it.

Out of these three...which one would be best?

I really like the Nikon 3000, it feels so comfortable when you hold it:)

Geoff

VIP Member
Indeed we do.
When ever you're able I should be as well.
I will let you know, of course I don't have plans on going to CT anytime soon, lol.

So then it was almost pitch black when you took it? Because i tried the same thing during the day but the rocks got overexposed.
I know it was already explained, but what I tend to do is set the f/stop as high as the lens allows (when I do not have a ND filter), set the ISO to 100, and then have an exposure between 0.5-3s. Ideally it would be good to have the f/stop in the middle/upper middle range for the lens, but that isn't always feasible.

I need to invest in an ND filter...

TFT

VIP Member
Seen them from the North Wirral last year, they look so much better out to sea than ruining the landscape inland.