Official Superpi Mod Ranking Thread

87dtna

Yes it took that much Vcore to hit 3.7 stable, I've got a bad chip so far as power consumption goes.

My memory is at 1.5V, turbo V is wrong, I wouldn't trust the values it gives for anything that isn't the CPU. I don't particularly like using it tbh, prefer BIOS OC because you can see everything better, the only reason it is up is because I was doing a quick memtest run

I know you don't just up voltages for no reason, I'm not stupid. I wouldn't trust what turbo V says for power.

As for the memory slocks, it is a recuring problem with several boards and 1600MHz memory, it underclocks them to 1333 and knocks the clocks down, I've set the speed to what it should be (1600MHz) but not touched timings yet

=EDIT=

I am running a Xigmatec S1283 @ 23 idle, sub 40 when stress testing.

And to give you an idea of how poor my chip is for power consumption, at the settings it was at when I screen shotted, it just BSODed prime 95 ;)

OK well I was just going off what the screenshot said so I didn't know.

I've owned that same board, you have to set the Vcore .05v more that whats really needed to be stable because there's so much Vdroop. The problem is it only uses a 4 pin CPU power connector. If it was an 8 pin it would be an awesome board, but I ditched it.

Aastii

VIP Member
OK well I was just going off what the screenshot said so I didn't know.

I've owned that same board, you have to set the Vcore .05v more that whats really needed to be stable because there's so much Vdroop. The problem is it only uses a 4 pin CPU power connector. If it was an 8 pin it would be an awesome board, but I ditched it.

Yea I've noticed there is a hell of a Vdroop on there, and I've also noticed, if you overclock with Vcore on auto (did it accidentally yesterday), it puts the voltage sooooo high, CPUz was showing as 1.6+ when I had it at only 3.3GHz :eek:

Lucky for me I don't OC as much as you and others do, I do a quick bench then drop it back (Got it 3.4 now), no need for it being so high, other than when running emu's, but then can give it a slight bump with turbo v, then drop it back down :)

87dtna

The daily OC's are whatever clocks I can get with Vcore in the 1.3x's. With my I3 550, it was 4.4ghz at 1.375. With my 555, it's 3.8ghz at 1.35 Vcore. With my current I3 540, I just have it at 3.8ghz and 1.325 Vcore because I have the stock cooler on right now (awaiting an I7 860 RMA).

mihir

VIP Member
I read in a magazine article that the GPU performs the iterative tasks more efficiently and faster than a CPU that is why it is used in brute forcing secure wifi networks by hackers.

So i was wondering that wouldnt the GPU be able to do the superpi test faster than the cpu take CPU - Core i7 920 and GPU - GTX 200 series which one would be faster and by how much time

meticadpa

I read in a magazine article that the GPU performs the iterative tasks more efficiently and faster than a CPU that is why it is used in brute forcing secure wifi networks by hackers.

So i was wondering that wouldnt the GPU be able to do the superpi test faster than the cpu take CPU - Core i7 920 and GPU - GTX 200 series which one would be faster and by how much time

can't run Super Pi on a GPU... sorry.

Aastii

VIP Member
The daily OC's are whatever clocks I can get with Vcore in the 1.3x's. With my I3 550, it was 4.4ghz at 1.375. With my 555, it's 3.8ghz at 1.35 Vcore. With my current I3 540, I just have it at 3.8ghz and 1.325 Vcore because I have the stock cooler on right now (awaiting an I7 860 RMA).

ok, a little more on my chip:

I got it stable as low as I could @ 3.3GHz, had 1.375V.

I then put it up to 3.4GHz. When at 1.4, it would BSOD when stress testing. I've had to put it all the way up to 1.41 to get it stable. That is .035 difference with just 100MHz...

87dtna

Ouch. Man that is one dud chip. Atleast it unlocks though. I'd sell it for ~$100 and just buy a C3 955 off newegg for $160. You'll get 4ghz at 1.40ish Vcore no problem on a full quad then. Not bad for a $60 upgrade.

bomberboysk

Ouch. Man that is one dud chip. Atleast it unlocks though. I'd sell it for ~$100 and just buy a C3 955 off newegg for $160. You'll get 4ghz at 1.40ish Vcore no problem on a full quad then. Not bad for a $60 upgrade.

Because newegg ships to the UK:p

I agree though, use ebuyer or overclockers or something:p

Aastii

VIP Member

from UK, can't use the egg ;)

However, I can sell for ~£120 on ebay, which is ~£50 more than I payed for it new :p then, I put in an extra £15 and BAM!!

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/AMD-...ion-Sok-AM3-32GHz-8MB-Total-Cache-125W-Retail

that may be an idea actually me thinks...

87dtna

The link you gave in a C2 stepping 955...don't get that one.

Look for the M in the part number (before BOX), the C2 is an I.

HDZ955FBGMBOX

susik89

Hey since the scores havent been updated yet can i resubmit my score ? I got my oc to 4.2 but my sh*tty ram wont go past 1600mhz so i guess thats about it for me :p

87dtna

Hey since the scores havent been updated yet can i resubmit my score ? I got my oc to 4.2 but my sh*tty ram wont go past 1600mhz so i guess thats about it for me :p

Yeah bomber will just use the better score.

What do you mean thats it??? Change your ram multiplier! Right now it's 8 apparently, there should be a 6.6 multiplier as well that will take your ram to 1333 with 200 base clock. With that ram multi, you should be able to go all the way to 240 base clock to get 1600mhz on the ram again.

I would suggest going right to 225 base clock and change your CPU multi to 19. Thats 4.275ghz so not much change and 1500mhz on the memory so you can leave that alone. Then just overclock using the CPU multiplier. Going to 20 is gonna get you 4.5ghz, which is most likely require around 1.35-1.40 Vcore....atleast more than you are running now anyway.

Last edited:

susik89

Yeah i dont really want to go over 1.3 volts though. At least not in the summer because my temps are going to end up over 80, and thats not something im comfortable with. I dropped my oc back to 4.0 since since at 4.2 with 1.28v temps were hitting 80. Now with 1.275 and 4.0 i top out at 77, and i can live with that :p

Last edited:

87dtna

Turn off hyper threading. You may get 4.5ghz at 1.30 and it will run much cooler without HT as well.
Super Pi is single threaded, so even if you shut down a couple cores it wouldn't matter either. Just run it as a dual core with HT off and temps will be WAY better and you'll still get a much higher score.