*Official * Windows 7 Thread

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
So probably no 64-bit?

Anyway, it won't be super fast or anything... and no aero. You'd probably be better off running it in a VM on your main rig.

It runs good on my Latitude - 1.6 Pentium M 2GB ram - I don't have any aero though :(

Anyway, the only driver I had to install was my touchpad (and my wireless after I pulled out my smartcard bay - long story). Other than that, I like it. I showed it to my boss today and he's got good hopes for it. So do I. :)

Irishwhistle

It runs good on my Latitude - 1.6 Pentium M 2GB ram - I don't have any aero though :(

Anyway, the only driver I had to install was my touchpad (and my wireless after I pulled out my smartcard bay - long story). Other than that, I like it. I showed it to my boss today and he's got good hopes for it. So do I. :)

Yeah, but the thing is the RAM... I've got it running great here... so far no reason for more RAM or a better CPU, but Danny's 512MB of RAM might not be adequate.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Yeah, but the thing is the RAM... I've got it running great here... so far no reason for more RAM or a better CPU, but Danny's 512MB of RAM might not be adequate.

It'll chug. The minimum is 1GB.

Although I've seen a P4 1.5 ghz and 512MB (maybe less) of RAM run Vista Ultimate, so I'm optimistic :)

gamerman4

Well my 3DMark05 score jumped 550 points with Windows 7. sweet. RAM usage is definitely cut down. Windows 7 is definitely off on the right foot. I love that they gave us a public beta, this pretty much lets all these people figure out the problems so we essentially have what amounts to Windows 7 SP1 upon release, with as many bugs as possible removed.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Shane. That'd be awesome if you could! :) Itd be the old laptop though, how do you think it'd run?

well i would have to download the 32 bit for you,but that wouldnt be a problem if you want it danny.
its easier for me because i dont have download limit,and i have 50mb broadband :)

Pm me your Address if you still want it,and il let you know when i send it out.

512mb ram is a bit tight though :(,7 used just over 880 something mb idle when i first booted.

Irishwhistle

Starting to run into some "Vista-ish" issues... especially with running VirtualBox... it opened the first time, crashed, and never opened again.