Oil Computer, for those who know a bit about it.

Altanore

After seeing all these oil cooled computers, i'm thinking of trying it out for the fun of it. Show it off to my relatives and friends. I have an old pentium 1 compaq pc in a box collecting dust and thinking of trying it on that. If something goes wrong, well, not a big loss.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if theres anything special I need to do? Can I just buy some vegetable oil from the store, poor it in a fish tank or something and dump the motherboard etc in and it will work? I know not to put the hard drive and CD rom in. Power supply im not too sure if I want to put in.

If all works well, I probably will buff it up a bit with LED fans to move the oil around and lights etc.

Thanks in advance. ;)

Altanore

ah, I guess it's safe, just got a bit nervous since I read that the oil could only handle so much? Guess thats false?

Geoff

VIP Member
you'll need to take the fans out of the PSU if you want to put that in the oil as well.

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
synthetic motor oil would be a better option because it causes less corrosion. you can put the psu in there if you want but you need to make sure that the fans are either removed or disconnected as the extra resistance of the oil will make them run slower and they'll draw more current.

other than that you just need to make sure everything is suitibly mounted and the tank is sealed... it might be worth putting a drain point in the bottom so you can empty it if you want to.

Altanore

Thanks for all the reply's.

I just probably won't put the psu in it. I was planning to put some fans in so the oil is able to move around, or maybe I can put in something else.

Perhaps I can modify it's current computer case, add a case window, and seal it, that will probably look more attractive then a fish tank and it lets me mount stuff away from the oil.

Yes, I do plan to put LED's, and other lights etc in.

Can I use any motor oil? Any paticular brand? I know there are other liquids that are much better but they are almost $500/gallon so not really worth buying.

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
i'm not aware of any particular brand that would be benefitial, its only what i've read elsewhere. however, considering you're looking at keeping costs down cooking oil wouldn't hurt and its very cheap.

if you plan on sealing your case i would pay a great deal of attention to it as it is very difficult to do well

shupola

Perhaps I can modify it's current computer case, add a case window, and seal it, that will probably look more attractive then a fish tank and it lets me mount stuff away from the oil.

i think i have seen this done somewhere. infact, i think someone posted a link on this forum.

Can I use any motor oil? Any paticular brand? I know there are other liquids that are much better but they are almost $500/gallon so not really worth buying.

as hairy lee suggested, use some kind of synthetic. i would suggest mobil 1 because you can drive your computer 15,000 miles without an "oil change":p lol

Xycron

banned
Instead of a fan inside the oil get a fish tank pump/powerhead, Do NOT get pengguin's, unless you want to be replacing impelelrss every 6 months that cost 16$. Mag pumps are prabally the best but quite expensive, msot other brands would do fine though.

Altanore

Thanks for the reply's!

Was looking at motor oil and I may stick to vegetable oil. Motor oil is too dark in colour. Probably won't smell that great either.. lol. Fish pump, that's a good idea also.

Also realize it will be a lot of work sealing the case. Oh well, keeps me busy.

as hairy lee suggested, use some kind of synthetic. i would suggest mobil 1 because you can drive your computer 15,000 miles without an "oil change" lol

lol funny.

Altanore

Thanks for the tip!

Actually, I think i'll switch to mineral oil... vegetable oil seems to rot after a while... rotten computer anyone?

Just not sure where to find mineral oil or how much it costs. :confused:

shupola

Altanore said:
Thanks for the tip!

Actually, I think i'll switch to mineral oil... vegetable oil seems to rot after a while... rotten computer anyone?

Just not sure where to find mineral oil or how much it costs. :confused:

you can find it at your local drug store. shouldnt be too much.

Xycron

banned
robina_80 said:
what the fcuk???????? u serious what so seal your pc case and fill your case of cooking oil.
I'm pretty sure thats the point....

the funney patrt is when i first saw the thread i thought it was going to be a Pc that runs off of gasoline or something crazy.