ok,. last question.. ^^

Archangel

VIP Member
Well.. like i show in my sig, im going to buy a fx-60.. nw, some people called it a waste of monney, and with some other offer i got now, i'm starting to think the same.

well.. i have this cooler now:
zalman-cnps9500-led_big.jpg

so,.. im sticking to air cooling.. my point now is tough.. i can get a 4800+ X2 for 220 and a fx-60 for 300.. so its a $80. now.. i do have the money for it,. thats not the problem.. but can i oc the fx-60 far enough with that cooler, to justifie the $80 extra?

I'm sorry if it seems like a stupid question.. but i'd really like to know,.. since im not really into coolers atm :(

Ku-sama

banned
yeah, something else to look at is the Thermalright XP-120 or the SI-128... the Big Typhoon is also an option, as well as the little typhoon..

Archangel

VIP Member
well.. my point isnt the cooler atm.. its merele.. with that cooler, can i push the fx-60 enough to justify its extra price? would i be able to get it to 3 ~ 3,2GHz? ( with increased Vcore is needed) on this cooler?

Ku-sama

banned
you should, but i thought you were asking wether or not it was sufficiant and that you were looking for a new one

Ku-sama

banned
yeah, and by the way, your only talking about a 200-400MHz overclock... you could do that with the stock cooler... on air, expect to see a full GHz overclock...

just jack the multiplier

Archangel

VIP Member
but you're saying... the fx-60 is worth the extra $80 i would pay for it over the 4800+ with this cooler?

fade2green514

i'd say get a core 2 duo if you want 3ghz or above performance guaranteed... but all athlon 64 chips are different. with an fx-60 it guarantees you 2.6ghz at 1.35V but you may have to overvolt it a lot to get it to 3ghz... therefore making you need an even better cooler. with a core 2 duo you could just overclock it to 3ghz and higher on stock cooling.
if you can't afford a new motherboard and more memory at the moment, id say either sell your rig... or keep it and save for the new one. thats what im doing just because conroe is so superior... its all in the architecture... and the fact that its 65nm makes it very overclockable.

Last edited:

thealmightyone

You need a TOP of the range cooler to oc as high as possible. So, go for either:

Thermaltake Big Typhoon
Thermalright SI-128 or
Thermalright XP-120

Those 3 are the established top notch coolers. But, the Scythe Ninja Plus looks like a decent cooler.

But, to push the FX60 to the limit, you will need high voltages. High voltages mean high temperatures. So, it might be an idea to liquid cool your CPU.

High voltages ALSO means you will need active cooling on your MOSFET heatinks. The MOSFETS regulate voltage to the CPU, and with me, hit 60C with 1.612V going to CPU, with passive cooling.

Archangel

VIP Member
i'd say get a core 2 duo if you want 3ghz or above performance guaranteed... but all athlon 64 chips are different. with an fx-60 it guarantees you 2.6ghz at 1.35V but you may have to overvolt it a lot to get it to 3ghz... therefore making you need an even better cooler. with a core 2 duo you could just overclock it to 3ghz and higher on stock cooling.
if you can't afford a new motherboard and more memory at the moment, id say either sell your rig... or keep it and save for the new one. thats what im doing just because conroe is so superior... its all in the architecture... and the fact that its 65nm makes it very overclockable.

hehe... but then i'd have to buy a new mobo, new RAM and a new processor.. so im sticking to a s939 for now.. and the fx-60 and the 4800+ are the fastest s939 processors

Iluvpenguins

She wont get much for her rig unless she parts it out,she is just looking to upgrade,don't bring Core 2 Duo in something that it doesn't belong in,she asks whether or not to go with the FX-60 or the 4800+,i'd say the FX-60 because you can overclock it and make up for that 80 dollar difference.And theres the X2 5000+ i believe now.

Archangel

VIP Member
High voltages ALSO means you will need active cooling on your MOSFET heatinks. The MOSFETS regulate voltage to the CPU, and with me, hit 60C with 1.612V going to CPU, with passive cooling.

i have an OC'd 3000+ venice atm.. its on 1,625V atm, and no problems on the mainboard.

i only made this topic, because i dont really feel like getting a water cooling in my case ( too much work and maintenance).
but most people seem to say the fx-60 is worth the extra $80, because i can overclock it quite a bit on the Zalman cooler,.. right?

1+3+3=7

i have an OC'd 3000+ venice atm.. its on 1,625V atm, and no problems on the mainboard.

i only made this topic, because i dont really feel like getting a water cooling in my case ( too much work and maintenance).
but most people seem to say the fx-60 is worth the extra $80, because i can overclock it quite a bit on the Zalman cooler,.. right?

That fan will be good for your future processor just make sure you have a good air flow case. When are you going to get processor and fan?

Jet

VIP Member
While others still suggest "Thermaltake Big Typhoon!!!" my Zalman CNPS9500 LED works wonders on my very power hungry Pentium D 820. It (the Zalman) consistently ranks along the top for air coolers. Besides, it weighs less and has less leverage than the Big Typhoon.

And YES, it is worth the extra $80 to get the AMD FX-60

fade2green514

i wouldn't say that 3ghz would be very easy to reach on air with an fx-60 at all... and even if you did it would run extremely hot... depending on if you had to overvolt it a bunch. best case scenario id say you'd hit 3.2ghz with that cooler... and even then you could get to 3.4ghz with a core 2 duo with that cooler quite easily... maybe even without an overvolt...
not to mention a core 2 duo at 3.4ghz is essentially the same performance as an FX-60 at around 4.2ghz or so. i mean the gains are ridiculous, thats why i suggest getting a core 2 duo. you might even be able to get it to 3.6 or 3.8ghz depending on the chip that you get.

thealmightyone

We are ALL aware of Core 2 Duo. We KNOW it outperforms all current CPU's. But why buy a new CPU, Mobo and Memory when you can just get a new processor. Why is getting a Core 2 Duo NECESSARY? I hate it when, rather than addressing their ACTUAL questions, you just run around with a megaphone, screaming Core 2 Duo.

fade2green514

Why is getting a Core 2 Duo NECESSARY?
it isn't... but neither is an FX-60. haha
theyre talking about upgrading, i just gave my input. lol i just dont think an fx-60 is worth the money they sell it for.
same way the x6800 isnt worth buying. its the flagship chip and therefore much closer to the maximum potential of the chip.