ok,. last question.. ^^

thealmightyone

HE/SHE HAS 2 7800GTX'S. Jesus!
Yes, X2 3800's and Opty 165's overclock like crazy, but FX60's are RATED TO RUN AT 2.6GHZ AT 1.35V. Completely stable. I dont think any 3800's or 165's can do that. So, you can push FX60's to a higher speed than those below it.

Noticed that you change ur siggy, Arch. :) Make sure to start a thread with your results.

Archangel

VIP Member
then don't upgrade lol, the only real advantage of the fx-60 is that its got a few more mhz which most games dont use anyways... and then its dual core, which most games dont support anyways.

well... but in 3dMark06,.. the grafic's tests are at 30-40fps and the CPU tests are at 0-1fps :p so my CPU is a bit of a bottleneck.
besides.. the fx-60 has a bit more than 5x the processing power as my current processor ( both on stock speed that is) not to mention its dual core :)
besides.. my board does support Sata2 and raid0 ;)

she.. ;)

anyway... thanks for the input.. at the end of the week i should have a new processor :)

Archangel

VIP Member
Ok,.. so i just bought my new CPU cooler :eek:
9500am2.jpg

i replaced my Freezer 64 with this one,.. just to see how it does.. my temperatures went down with 18*C :eek:
ok.. becausem im not using the fanmate2 that comes with the zalman, it runs at full speed, and is a bit more noisy than the Freezer64.. but still its not really louder than my grafic's cards,.. hence not annoying :)
my CPU is at 42*C now, so i think this cooler is really nice.

now all i need is to get my processor,.. and then i'll see how far i get with this one :D ( altough.. i might have to improve the Case airflow a bit.. because it's not really good atm)

thealmightyone

42C. Idle? Measure the room temperature. Ideally, your CPU should be running at no more than 5C more than room temperature. (I can get 25C idle, 3C above room temp)

Seat the zalman as perfectly as you can. The seating will decide how high you can push the voltage.

(BTW, The CPU test is indeed a cpu test. Everyone gets 0 or 1 fps. Heck, I get 1 fps with an oc-ed X2 3800)

Archangel

VIP Member
42C. Idle? Measure the room temperature. Ideally, your CPU should be running at no more than 5C more than room temperature. (I can get 25C idle, 3C above room temp)

Seat the zalman as perfectly as you can. The seating will decide how high you can push the voltage.

(BTW, The CPU test is indeed a cpu test. Everyone gets 0 or 1 fps. Heck, I get 1 fps with an oc-ed X2 3800)

dont forget.. my CPU is running 50% overclocked, and at almost 1,7v atm :p
and like i said.. the airflow in my case isnt the best around, so im quite happy with it atm. ( the 42* is at medium load btw) i didnt get my CPU over 51*C so far, wich doesnt seem really bad for it ( I think )

fade2green514

lol at 1.65V i could get mine to 2.7ghz i bet. i'd need to take the IHS in order to drop the heat enough though, what with two cores and everything.
is the new zalman better? i have the original one which i think as an alloy of copper + aluminum... looks all copper though...

Archangel

VIP Member
lol at 1.65V i could get mine to 2.7ghz i bet. i'd need to take the IHS in order to drop the heat enough though, what with two cores and everything.
is the new zalman better? i have the original one which i think as an alloy of copper + aluminum... looks all copper though...

lol. but you're isnt just a 3000+ and yes, this one is all copper.. its for AMD's only tough. ( the original one is for all sockets)

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
well... but in 3dMark06,.. the grafic's tests are at 30-40fps and the CPU tests are at 0-1fps so my CPU is a bit of a bottleneck.
They pretty much always are, even on an E6400 they are 0-1 and very rarely 2. That said your CPU is defiently a bottleneck, not so much at 2.7GHz but it still is.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
It's not really a major bottleneck no, not like it would be at stock speeds. But when you pair it with 2 7800GTX it still kind of is.

fade2green514

lol i still get an average of 1fps on the cpu tests, but i do get quite a bit of 2fps in there too..
w/e i guess i presented all the reason that i think a core 2 duo would be better... its your choice from here... lol

Last edited: