Old laptop restore?

Grantapus

Hi. So someone gave me a Toshiba satellite pro laptop, it was slow and laggy (when running Windows 10) so it had only 1 GB RAM. So I had a 512 mb stick of RAM laying around, so I popped that in, and than I upgraded the OS to Kali Linux since I'm in to hacking anyways. So now it runs very snappy even know it's only rocking 1.5 GB RAM and 2ghz CPU. So basically this laptop definitely needs another ram upgrade. If I upgrade to 3/4 GB of RAM, I should be able to do most tasks. So my question is should I upgrade too something crazy like 8/16 GB of RAM, or just go with 3/4 GB of RAM. The CPU IS 64 bit, so I think I can have up to 1 TB of ram.

Grantapus

What specific model is it?

LOL

You can think all you want but 1TB of ram in a laptop is not remotely possible. Let alone actually looking what the processor's IMC can support.
After this whole reply of yours, you failed to answer my question. Come on man.

But I'm at a hotel without my laptop so idk what the exact model number is.

Laquer Head

Hi. So someone gave me a Toshiba satellite pro laptop, it was slow and laggy (when running Windows 10) so it had only 1 GB RAM. So I had a 512 mb stick of RAM laying around, so I popped that in, and than I upgraded the OS to Kali Linux since I'm in to hacking anyways. So now it runs very snappy even know it's only rocking 1.5 GB RAM and 2ghz CPU. So basically this laptop definitely needs another ram upgrade. If I upgrade to 3/4 GB of RAM, I should be able to do most tasks. So my question is should I upgrade too something crazy like 8/16 GB of RAM, or just go with 3/4 GB of RAM. The CPU IS 64 bit, so I think I can have up to 1 TB of ram.

beers

Staff member
What laptop is it? If it's DDR2 you'll be lucky to support 4 GB, 945PM/GM chipsets actually only supported 32 bits of memory addressing.

If it came with 1 GB from the factory you certainly won't be stuffing 16GB in there.

I'm in to hacking anyways.
Opening up a bash terminal is not hacking

Grantapus

What laptop is it? If it's DDR2 you'll be lucky to support 4 GB, 945PM/GM chipsets actually only supported 32 bits of memory addressing.

If it came with 1 GB from the factory you certainly won't be stuffing 16GB in there.

Opening up a bash terminal is not hacking
Okay, so I heard somewhere that 64 but CPU could support 1 TB RAM, but you guys are right, that's not physically possible in a laptop, nor is it possible because if what you said about the 4 GB RAM. Now, if I remember correctly, my post said I installed Kali Linux on the laptop. Do you even know what KALI LINUX is? For godsake, who said that I thought the opening bash terminal is HACKING? You should read into Kali Linux before you jump to that concussion.
I'm planning to get a penetration testing certification this year. I mean, just how and why did you think that I thought bash commands is hacking in any way, shape or form. Well thx for answering my question about how much ram I should put.

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

You know... I refrained myself from pointing out how stupid your original post sounded and you reply like this?
I'm sorry, but it would have been better to NOT refrain from answering. But thanks for the info you gave me anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geoff

VIP Member
Okay, so I heard somewhere that 64 but CPU could support 1 TB RAM
The real limitation of the amount of RAM you can install on a 64 bit system is based on what the motherboard can support.

I mean, just how and why did you think that I thought bash commands is hacking in any way, shape or form.
Likely because you said you upgraded your OS to Linux because you're into hacking, which gives the impression you think installing Linux makes you a hacker. Plus, you said you're into "hacking". A penetration testing expert would not call themselves a hacker.

Intel_man

VIP Member
okay, but there is nothing piss poor about asking a question.
Dude... I asked you what specific model number laptop it was so I can look into what you can do with it.

All I got was "Oh you failed to answer my question c'mon man" reply...

Grantapus

DDR2 ram too... quick check on newegg for a kit of 2x2gb ram is like $36.
Okay! Thank you guys very much for the help.
It's 200 pin right?

Max ram of 4gb, the processor is a core2duo T5870. Came preinstalled with XP.
This is the kind of answer I like. Thanks for the help guys. Should I upgrade the CPU to a newer CPU also? Or is it fine for basic tasks?

Last edited by a moderator: