Ooohhh its so complecated

34erd

I have the DFI lanparty ut nf4 sli-dr mobo. I'm reading through the manual and its really confusing. I have a couple of questions:

1. Do I need to clear the CMOS before starting up?

2. What should all th I/O's power be set to? Is the default 5V or 5VSB corect.

3. Should the speaker be on or off

4. What the hell are S/PDIF settings

5. Should I have to DRAM voltage set to up to 4 volts now?

6. What do I plug into S/PDIF power/input conector thingy

7. For the audio module the aoudio conector is for my front I/O's of my case right?

8. What do I do with the USB conectors on the baord do they go to my cases I/O?

9. Should I plug my SATA cables into 1-4 or 4-8 of the RAID controller if I'm not using RAID.

10. Which port should I stivk my SATA and ATA cables in. 1?

11.Whats a COM and IrDA conector?

12. Do the fans from my case get power from my mobo or the PSU? What are the fan conectors on my mobo for

13. And what about the internal IEEE 1394 conector?

14. If I have a 24 pin power conector on my PSU do I still need to use the 4 pin conector? I also plug the FDD and HDD power cables.

15. What about those wierd HDD LED, speaker, LED, ATX-SW power thingys what do I do with those.

I hope you guys can answer most of these, as you can tell I'm new to this lol :rolleyes:

Basicly also just tell me evrything step by step...

Also when I was installing my floppy drive, I by accidently made the thing in the center turn... Is that ok?

apj101

VIP Member
1. Do I need to clear the CMOS before starting up?
NO

2. What should all th I/O's power be set to? Is the default 5V or 5VSB corect.
Default, dont mess with it

3. Should the speaker be on or off
I assume you mean the internal speak in which is should be on

4. What the hell are S/PDIF settings
Sony/Philips Digital Interface its a standard audio transfer connector/format. Just leave all setting on default.
Out of curiosity what option do you have
5. Should I have to DRAM voltage set to up to 4 volts now?
What, this is a bios setting. Just leave the bios to deal with stuff like that

6. What do I plug into S/PDIF power/input conector thingy
Is this on your cd/dvd drive your talking about, in which case you connect it to the SPDIF connector on the motherborad

7. For the audio module the aoudio conector is for my front I/O's of my case right?
yes, the ones at the back at molded onto the board. Once the front panels are connected then the back connector wil probably not work. You often have to chose which one you want

8. What do I do with the USB conectors on the baord do they go to my cases I/O?
Yes, where else are they to go

9. Should I plug my SATA cables into 1-4 or 4-8 of the RAID controller if I'm not using RAID.
doesnt matter
10. Which port should I stivk my SATA and ATA cables in. 1?

11.Whats a COM and IrDA conector?
Communcation port and Infared connector. If you have an infared device then you connect it here.

12. Do the fans from my case get power from my mobo or the PSU? What are the fan conectors on my mobo for
Most get from mobo, these inclde cpu fan, chasis fan, often aux fan 1 and 2. You can power them from psu but then the mobo wont be able to detect when they fail

13. And what about the internal IEEE 1394 conector?
This is for firewire, if you dont know about it it, i doubt your using it

14. If I have a 24 pin power conector on my PSU do I still need to use the 4 pin conector? I also plug the FDD and HDD power cables.
The board takes the 24pin, so just plug the 24pin connector from the psu straight in. If you dont need the convertor then dont use it

15. What about those wierd HDD LED, speaker, LED, ATX-SW power thingys what do I do with those.
Look in you manual it will tell you were to connect then to

34erd

Ok thanks, also are those thin plastic plates with holes in the center the mobo grounding screws? They go inbetween the mobo and the case right?

Geoff

VIP Member
First off, you dont have to touch anything in your bios right away (except maybe the boot order), just leave it as it is for now, and mess around with it later.

And you should be able to just place your motherboard ontop of the case, line up the holes, and screw screws into it. But you may have to use those small gold things, but that has nothing to do with grounding.

Johnnyboy0056

geoff5093 said:
\ But you may have to use those small gold things, but that has nothing to do with grounding.

actually, the small gold screws do have to do with grounding and need them. they prevent the mobo from shorting out on the case.

and if im thinking of the right things, the brass screw go into the side panel of the tower, then ur mobo holes line up to these, and ur screws through the holes of the mobo and into the brass screws/spacers.

34erd

Ok thats what I thought. Damn its a tight fit without a removeable mobo tray lol. I'll post a pic later to see If I got it all good and stuff.

Johnnyboy0056

a bit of advice, count how many brass screw spacers and make sure u put the same number of screws in the mobo, otherwise u may cause a shortage ont he board....bad thing. :)

34erd

Ok. but now I'm missing one brass spacer. I'm not sure if I lost it or if it doesnt come with the board, but if I dont put a spacer on the bottom left corner will it short the board?

34erd

Hmm well I cant find the last brass screw. Whats the best space to be missing a screw? Or should I buy another one from thermaltake.

EDIT: Damn. I did lose it. I found some brass standoffs for sale but I'm not sure if it will work in my case. Is there a universal hight? My case has a center standoff permenently installed so they all need to be the same hight. If I can buy these from thermaltake does anyone know?

Last edited:

Johnnyboy0056

lol, dont worry about one. not a big deal at all...nothing is gonna happen if u dont put one spacer on. keep on building. :) only a prob would occur if u put the spacer but no screw to secure it to the mobo. if u leave the spacer off, no problem at all. save ur money . u dont need it. ;)

Rip_Uk

if you take a look through your motherboard manual a couple of times it tells you how to do most things. doing my first build myself it has become a sort of bible :)

34erd

Yeah but my mobo is just a really sparse overview of the features.

Anyway I'll keep on building.

34erd

Great.. after I put it in.

I just put the CPU heatsik on, but the locking lever seems to be stuck, it wont move into position. And now I cant get the heatsink off... I know it is suposed to tighten the heatsink, but I think its going to break, because the "axle" isnt turning.

EDIT: Nevermind, got it in :D . I just didnt know it would require so much force.

Last edited: