Opera, Firefox or IE

willsteele

That's weird about the spyware. I loaded the Google toolbar with the popup protection on IE and have only gotten mal/spyware from places I've been that I probably should have avoided to begin with.

spazz31585

well, that's the thing. we may have been getting it from those kind of places. not really sure
see, there are 4 people that live in this house. and my dad is usually on here at about 3 in the morning when he's not working. the thing about it, the only thing he ever seems to have pulled up, that you can see, is his e-mail and maybe a newspaper website. and i know he ain't sitting on those sites all night long
but, since we got FF, we have had no problem with it at all

dhaynes

3 reasons why i prefer Firefox over IE ( I haven't tried Opera yet so I don't know if this is true for Opera)
1. Extensions- There are thousands of extensions available for Firefox, allowing you to customize your browser.
2. Tabbed browsing- Yeah IE 6 doesn't have tabbed browsing. I know you can get tabbed browsing by getting add ons like Slimbrowser though. My friend uses alt + tab and says it better than any tabbed browsing so whatever.
3. Security- The simple fact that there are more IE users than Firefox and IE is not open source means IE is going to be less secure than Firefox. When there's a security hole in Firefox it's gonna get fixed a lot faster than if IE does.

Geoff

VIP Member
dhaynes said:
3. Security- The simple fact that there are more IE users than Firefox and IE is not open source means IE is going to be less secure than Firefox. When there's a security hole in Firefox it's gonna get fixed a lot faster than if IE does.
It can also mean that hackers can get the code from firefox and find loopholes in it.

dhaynes

It can also mean that hackers can get the code from firefox and find loopholes in it.

This is definitely true, but it also means that more people are able to work on improving the security of Firefox, where with IE your left with only Microsoft. Also until Firefox gains a larger user base most attacks on browsers will be primarily directed towards the most popular browser, which at this point is still IE even though Firefox has taken a good chunk out of their lead.

maroon1

firefox is much better that IE, but opera is better than both.
last time i switched from firefox to opera and i really found that it is much much faster than firefox, and it is probably the fastest browser on earth.

i suggest everyone to try opera.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
maroon1 said:
firefox is much better that IE, but opera is better than both.
last time i switched from firefox to opera and i really found that it is much much faster than firefox, and it is probably the fastest browser on earth.

i suggest everyone to try opera.

Faster?

Many years ago when AOL first started my 28.8k modem was incredibly slow and Opera (and the ability turn off photos from being downloaded...) really saved time!

...but a decade or more later, with a cable modem, Opera/Firefox/IE... it makes no difference in terms of speed.

maroon1

faster?

Many years ago when AOL first started my 28.8k modem was incredibly slow and Opera (and the ability turn off photos from being downloaded...) really saved time!

...but a decade or more later, with a cable modem, Opera/Firefox/IE... it makes no difference in terms of speed.

look here to browser speed comparison http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html

and there is a difference in terms of speed even if u use cable modem, if u want to open 10 pages at the same time, opera will open them all on just in 1 or 2 seconds. just try opera and u will see that it is atleast 10 times faster than IE. just don't judge something before u use it.

4W4K3

VIP Member
maroon1 said:
look here to browser speed comparison http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html

and there is a difference in terms of speed even if u use cable modem, if u want to open 10 pages at the same time, opera will open them all on just in 1 or 2 seconds. just try opera and u will see that it is atleast 10 times faster than IE. just don't judge something before u use it.

this is ludicrous. browser speed is different from user to user, it does not have a universal speed of opening 10 webpages in 1-2 seconds. I have Opera, so you can't say I am biased. I will agree it is slightly faster than IE at loading pages with embedded music and lots of pics, but CERTAINLY not 10X faster, and not ALL page load in 1-2 seconds.

There are different levels of cable internet, so how are you going to say they all operate at the same speed with Opera? What if i have 3MBps cable and my GF has 10MBps cable internet? Are they going to still open 10 pages in 1-2 secoonds? Of course not, hers is going to be much faster, her IE might even load faster than my Opera connection. You can't generalize by defining "cable speeds" as one universale set speed, browser speeds are different depending on the computer you install it on.

Geoff

VIP Member
Theres a tweak you can do in firefox to have it load pages much faster, i did a speed test and got 4Mbps+ when its really suppose to be 2Mbps+, so it can load pages very fast.

pcmagic

The upcoming releases of IE, Firefox, and Opera show that innovation in Web Browser Development has just come to an end. Companies are simply integrating the more popular features of rival products into their browsers. No radical changes are planned in any of the upcoming browser releases. It is very possible that in near future - IE, Firefox, and Opera will all have similar features and similar, tight interfaces.

1. IE 7 includes tabbed browsing, a capability that Firefox and Opera have offered for a while.

2. IE 7 has an integrated search box similar to that in Firefox and Opera.

3. Both IE 7 and Firefox 1.5 offer an easy method for deleting personal browsing data (browser cache, URL history, saved forms) via one menu option. The feature already exists in Opera 8.5.

4. Firefox 1.5 offer automatic updates similar to IE.

5. Opera comes with several advanced features that you can get in Firefox only with add-ons, and that IE lacks entirely.

IE 7: The new Phishing Filter in IE aims to warn users if they visit a known or potential phishing site--a function previously available only via third-party toolbars.

Firefox 1.5: Firefox 1.5 includes drag-and-drop tab reordering. The new Auto-update process is streamlined and smooth.

Opera 9: Users can choose which Web sites can run JavaScript or display images. And the impressive built-in RSS feed handler now supports Atom 1.0. However, Opera has no plans to introduce Firefox-like extensions, so if you don't like the way it does something, you're stuck.

Browser Market Share: Though IE has been losing market share, it remains dominant yet. The number of users jumping to Firefox has slowed recently leading some experts to suggest only a finite number of people are willing or able to try an alternate browser

dhaynes

i just tried out opera for the first time. i tried comparing the speed between firefox and opera, and could barely notice a difference. opera was a little bit faster than firefox. besides that it seemed like everything else was identical; it even looked just like firefox but with a different skin. i was enjoying opera until i involuntarily went to click on one of my firefox extensions and it wasn't there. i would have to say opera is a really good browser and i would use it if it weren't for firefox's extensions.

Jerkstore

I use Opera and Firefox and Mozilla under linux and I use both Firefox and IE under WinXP

Opera is very fast, but my firefox is tweaked out and is also very fast....using a prefetch on firefox in windows helps it load much faster btw, and I only ever use IE for pages that don't allow firefox

SFR

Truth fears no questions
maroon1 said:
just don't judge something before u use it.

You need to re-read my post...

I have used Opera before, and with a cable modem I do not notice a difference. Besides.. why would I need to open 10 browser pages at the same time?

Geoff

VIP Member
I noticed a huge difference between IE and Firefox when i did that tweaking that allowed multiple connections to a site, and it opened sites up much faster.

roxcyn

I vote for all of them. Here is why:

IE for Windows Updates, and websites that won't load under Firefox or Opera
Firefox for email, searching, having fun.
Opera for downloading, researching, and having fun.

Opera is the only browser that has a feature a like a lot: when you download something (I'm still on dialup) and the download somehow stops, it can be started where it ended, Firefox and IE doesn't do that. Sometimes I use freshdownload with FF or IE. I love Opera for when I'm doing research because I can have lots and lots of browsers open, also I notice with Firefox whenever you click on a link (unless you right click and then say open as tab) it will open it in a new window, Opera automatically opens as a new tab.

Firefox: I like to use it to have fun, with such websites as email, forums, looking a comic strips, uploading mp3s, etc

IE: I use it for windows update and some pages that don't load correctly in Firefox or Opera.

maroon1

u can make opera open links in new window like firefox, just got to preference then General tab then uncheck "open in a new tab"

opera is far better than both firefox or IE and it has more features, it is the best browser in the world and its installation is just 3.7MB, http://better-browser.com/

opera>firefox>IE

Last edited:

tweaker

VIP Member
Isn't it time to end this discussion, or better yet, read the 1.000 other threads already made on the subject?

Different browsers got different features, discuss them if anything, but speed? As far as speed goes when loading pages etc nowadays it's about the speed of your connection and the server your visiting. Changing browser will not get you faster internet, most people here have some sort of broadband connection and for the ones that do not theres still the option to disable media in all the 3 browsers in question. My connection is decent and I can't tell a difference between IE and FF when loading pages. It's the features that makes them individually different. :)

Last edited:

maroon1

tweaker - loading pages doesn't always depend on ur connection speed, and if u can't tell difference between IE and FF when loading page then this means that ur connection is too fast, but first i want to tell that not everyone have a very fast connection, and the second thing i want to tell u that i didn't say that FF is faster than IE , i was just talking about opera.
i use opera in my home and in my school and it is really faster than |IE or any other browser.

and if u say that opera is not faster than IE, just read some reviews from other forums or google it or read some opera users review and u will see that they all agree on one thing that opera is the fastest browser.

and before u post again look here http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html to see the speed comparison between browser, just look on windows browser and look at speed charts u will see that opera beats both IE and FF in everything, and don't forget to read the conclusion.

Xycron

banned
pcmagic said:
IE 7: The new Phishing Filter in IE aims to warn users if they visit a known or potential phishing site--a function previously available only via third-party toolbars.
I have a feeling that this will be the most annoying feture in the world that will make me become one of those emo kids who slit my wrists.