Opinion on ASrock mobos

Renzore101

Hello again CF,

I have a quick question, for those who have used ASrock motherboards, has anyone had issues in the past with the boards? Since I have built my gaming rig I have had ASrock boards exclusively and now I am having issues with my install of Windows failing checks such as sfc /scannow and dism store commands. I have been getting a series of persistent corruption and issues. I am attempting to create a new recovery media now with the Media Creation Tool, however I believe I have attempted to reinstall Windows previously and Windows will still be unstable with the ever more frequent BSOD occurring. As I had said, I am getting to the point that I wonder if it is some type of strange hardware issue and I am beginning to wonder if I need to try another brand of mobo other than ASrock. Any input is welcome.

Thanks

beers

Staff member
Also check RAM settings and do a memtest86+. Failing RAM can also corrupt data as it is being read or written and could cause your bsod.

Try using the xmp or docp profile

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you overclocking at all? I was had my cpu overclocked on windows 7 and upgraded to 10 and had constant bsod issues. Once I removed the overclock they went away.

Also agree that failing sfc /scannow command is saying that something is up with the hdd.

Renzore101

I will run a Memtest and see what the result is now, I was reading somewhere however that with Memtest, some amount of errors is common with certain types of DDR3 RAM that was manufactured before a certain date. In addition to that I successfully ran a chkdsk, it did not appear to find any bad sectors or any unusually large amount of errors. I also do not think the SSD is bad as it is an 840 Evo that I bought about 2 years ago but who knows.

Renzore101

Are you overclocking at all? I was had my cpu overclocked on windows 7 and upgraded to 10 and had constant bsod issues. Once I removed the overclock they went away.

Also agree that failing sfc /scannow command is saying that something is up with the hdd.

I am overclocking my CPU .5 GHz, however the BSOD and system instability was occurring before the overclock so I don't think that could be affecting it.

Renzore101

Well sure enough all kinds of errors via memtest, 334 so far, I guess my best bet now is to test each stick individually after this test completes?

Renzore101

I am most likely going to run and grab some new ram and rma this ram to put into another machine then. Thanks for the assistance!

Renzore101

I aborted the memtest at over 9000 errors, I am going to rma the Crucial memory. I can't believe it, this is the second set of memory that i've bought that has failed memtest! I am now running a memtest on some brand spankin new PNY memory from the local Best Buy as I wouldn't have made it to Microcenter in time :'( Zero errors so far 35 minutes in :)

Darren

Staff member
I could be wrong but as I understand it XMP profiles are pretty much premade RAM settings for specific speeds. Your sticks will likely have an XMP profile they're designed for example you can tell your BIOS to set them to XMP-1600, which would run at 1600MHz and a specific CAS latency (9? maybe).

@beers or somebody else. Correct me as needed. :D

C4C

The XMP setting on my MSI motherboard causes me to crash upon boot... Runs find without it (manually set speeds).

Darren

Staff member
The XMP setting on my MSI motherboard causes me to crash upon boot... Runs find without it (manually set speeds).
My MSI 970A G45 was the same. That thing was downright funked with my memory settings, especially before I updated the BIOS. Even after I still had to do it manually, although I am mixing RAM brands/speeds/timings too so that was probably why.

Reactions: C4C

Renzore101

I am not aware of these settings, I'll have to look through my bios tomorrow. I'm going to let the memtest run through the night on the new ram to make sure I'm safe. After two consecutive sets of bad ram from two different manufacturers I'm pretty leary now lol

I'm not mixing speeds or brands or anything like that in my case either.