Opinion on ASrock mobos

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
I've only ever used one ASRock motherboard, built my parents a computer 7 years ago and it's still going strong. I did have some intermittent memory issues at one point (after going to 64-bit from 32-bit, DDR2 board though), but I ended up putting in a new set of sticks and updating the BIOS and that seemed to fix it.

Renzore101

Look on page 70 of the manual and you'll see where it says load XMP setting.

Is this in the manual for my asrock z97 extreme 4 board? I'll take a look in the manualab when I get home. There must be a setting because in task manager my new ram is running at 1600mhz but the spec is 1866

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, its in your manual. Your board only supports up to 1600mhz without physically overclocking the ram, hence why you enable the xmp setting and it will go up to 1866mhz. Just make sure the timings match the ram. If not, you have to manually change them.

Renzore101

Considering that I just overcame this issue and ran a clean memtest I hope enabling this setting doesn't cause any issues in the future!

Darren

Staff member
Considering that I just overcame this issue and ran a clean memtest I hope enabling this setting doesn't cause any issues in the future!
If it massed Memtest your good. Even with "incorrect" settings, as long as your system boots it should still work, just maybe not as efficiently as it would with the proper settings.

mistersprinkles

Overclock instability perhaps... Have you run crystal disk info? It is free and will tell you if your drive is not healthy.
Have you altered your BCLK (if using an Intel system)?

Have you changed SATA controller modes in BIOS since installing windows? (IE going from AHCI to RAID)

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Changing from IDE to AHCI in the BIOS won't give you a BSOD. It will flat out tell you you're missing the BOOTMGR. It won't even get to the point where you'll BSOD.
Yes it will - kind of. In Windows 10 it's not blue anymore. It will give you a INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE and reboot unless you change the registry to load the correct miniport driver (and installed it if it is not already).

Intel_man

VIP Member
Yes it will - kind of. In Windows 10 it's not blue anymore. It will give you a INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE and reboot unless you change the registry to load the correct miniport driver (and installed it if it is not already).
Hmmm... interesting. I don't recall ever making it that far when I changed it to AHCI.