Overclock Questions

Ok. so if the temps continue to get higher, when should I stop? It'll be alright, it isn't often it gets to FULL load I guess...

OMGEA, Yeah, how much is it :p

I can't find any flights from Concord, NH to Liverpool.. Sorry Guys... :rolleyes:

But anyway, I would go until I hit about 65 load... Maybe 2.6, I know you can hit 3Ghz with it, I just wouldn't push for that, yet.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Its not to hard, just start with 400 wet/dry auto sandpaper. Use something flat, like a piece of metal or thick glass. Put the sandpaper on the flat object and wet it and keep it wet and only rub the heatsink in one direction, not in circles. Work your way up from 400 to 2000 grit.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Thanks for the info, you done it, don't know if I'd screw up and mess up my HSF :cool:

StrangleHold, what do you think about the temps, rekon I should OC more?

Geoff

VIP Member
I can't find any flights from Concord, NH to Liverpool.. Sorry Guys... :rolleyes:

But anyway, I would go until I hit about 65 load... Maybe 2.6, I know you can hit 3Ghz with it, I just wouldn't push for that, yet.
Thats because theres no international airport in Concord :)

Danny, I dont remember if you said this before, but what kind of temps were you seeing when everything was stock? The temp shouldnt have raised that much by only raising the FSB.

StrangleHold

Staff member
36 idle and 55 under load, not really to bad. Do you have the fins on your cooler facing the rear exhaust fan? Yea I have lapped a few. We used to fool around with them to see how much difference it would make. Sometimes from 3 to 7 or 8c. The big thing is you dont have to put anywhere near as much compond because you have so much more metal to metal contact.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Danny, I dont remember if you said this before, but what kind of temps were you seeing when everything was stock? The temp shouldnt have raised that much by only raising the FSB.

I was getting 32c idle and 52c load, I don't know why the load temps is so high though, other people with this cooler are getting much better results than I am...

36 idle and 55 under load, not really to bad. Do you have the fins on your cooler facing the rear exhaust fan? Yea I have lapped a few. We used to fool around with them to see how much difference it would make. Sometimes from 3 to 7 or 8c. The big thing is you dont have to put anywhere near as much compond because you have so much more metal to metal contact.

Alright, I'll carry on then, stock when I get around 70c on load, sound right?

Yeah, I have the rear facing the exhuast at the back of the case, I have an intake fan right infront of the cooler too, so there shouldn't really be any problems.
Ah right, sounds like an idea, I'll see how it goes before I start messing with it :p

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
Keep going on stock volts and run orthos to check stability, then if its unstable up the voltage by .025, also see if you have pci/pcie locks. And did you set the ram 1:1?

I would say 65*c... 70 is OK though

JSpecGC8

Hmmm I am running the Zalman air cooler on mine and its at 2.45ghz on stock voltage and its hitting about 47c~50C under orthos.

Keep going man, we can race to a stable 3ghz haha one of us has to win!!

Kornowski

VIP Member
Keep going on stock volts and run orthos to check stability, then if its unstable up the voltage by .025, also see if you have pci/pcie locks. And did you set the ram 1:1?

I would say 65*c... 70 is OK though

Ok, so you guys seem pretty sure those temps are Ok... I'll trust you, yeah?

I haven't locked the PCI bus, I don't have anything in them, so...

Yeah, I have the RAM Divider on 2.0 (1:1).

Hmmm I am running the Zalman air cooler on mine and its at 2.45ghz on stock voltage and its hitting about 47c~50C under orthos.

Keep going man, we can race to a stable 3ghz haha one of us has to win!!

What temps do you get idle?
I'm aiming for about 2.8Ghz... :p

JSpecGC8

I sit at 30c or less depending on room temperature. Like right now its at 28c and the thermostat on the wall reads 73F!!!

Kornowski

VIP Member
Ran ORTHOS for about 2 minutes, CPU load according to TAT was 47c, which is a lot better! Why does TAT's 100% load make my CPU temp reach 55c...

Anyway, my PC would probably never be at 100% when gaming, so I feel a lot better now, more OC'ing :D

JSpecGC8

Well I wasnt going to say anything but I got it at 2.83ghz, I have not ran Orthos yet and I have not had to raise the Vcore yet but at this speed I might just call it a day.

My ram I have set to 2.1v and everything else was minor ups here and there. I want to hit 3ghz but I am not going to kill myself but I may kill the CPU :)

So right now its an unconfirmed stable 2.83ghz!!

JSpecGC8

NB and SB I bumped a tad bit, I got the information from searching teh interrrnetzz fer some smertZ!!!

I got lucky and found a few threads on people with the same set up as mine!!

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
TAT loading always seems to make things hotter than you can get with real use. Even orthos usually heats it up a bit more than you would normally get.

Lower temperatures are always better but as long as you don't overvolt too much it should be OK.