Overclock risk

Billson

If I buy a MSI Z170-A PRO that supports up to 2400mhz, if I use a 3200mhz ram(its supported with oc) Is there any risk?

beers

Staff member
That's not hugely outlandish and should be able to be handled by the IMC (integrated memory controller on the cpu).

If you run into any stability issues it might be worth downclocking it back to the official stock speed for testing.

Billson

That's not hugely outlandish and should be able to be handled by the IMC (integrated memory controller on the cpu).

If you run into any stability issues it might be worth downclocking it back to the official stock speed for testing.
Lets say I downclock it, I can keep using the same RAM I got right?
What do you think?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VprXmG

Last edited:

Intel_man

VIP Member
Save the money on higher speed DDR4 ram and get a better CPU.

On a side note, I'd recommend spending the extra money on a WD drive vs a Seagate.

Billson

On a side note, I'd recommend spending the extra money on a WD drive vs a Seagate.
Really? Isnt that a big deal? I would like a better processor but I thought that really mattered. Anyways there is not much difference between a 3200mhz ram and a 2400mhz so Ill stick to them and probably improve the cpu. Just tell me wich one you have in mind and Ill tell you. The most expensive one I would buy would be an I5 6600. Is it a big difference?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Lets say I downclock it, I can keep using the same RAM I got right?
What do you think?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VprXmG

I hope you don't plan on using that psu supplied with the case to run that R9 380? It's a piece of junk and will probably burn up trying to push that video card. Would recommend getting the corsair cx600 which is a much better unit then that rosewill unit.
The most expensive one I would buy would be an I5 6600. Is it a big difference?

Yes, there is a big difference between the I3 and the I5 for what you are wanting to do.

Billson

I hope you don't plan on using that psu supplied with the case to run that R9 380? It's a piece of junk and will probably burn up trying to push that video card. Would recommend getting the corsair cx600 which is a much better unit then that rosewill unit.

Yes, there is a big difference between the I3 and the I5 for what you are wanting to do.
How can I know if the supply is good enough?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Because psu's that come bundled inside the case are more then likely garbage and you never want to skimp on a psu as they are the backbone of your system. If for some reason when it blows it usually takes other components out with it. Always better to buy cases with the psu and buy it separately that way you know what kind of unit you are getting.

Billson

Because psu's that come bundled inside the case are more then likely garbage and you never want to skimp on a psu as they are the backbone of your system. If for some reason when it blows it usually takes other components out with it. Always better to buy cases with the psu and buy it separately that way you know what kind of unit you are getting.
Oh so you say I should get a case and the buy a quality psu sepparately. Allright Ill do that.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes always. The main component that determines what wattage of psu you get is the video card so if you plan on getting the R9 380, don't go any lower then a good brand 550 watt psu. Corsair and EVGA are good cheap brands. Look at either the cx600 or EVGA 100-B1-0600-KR.

Billson

I was thinking about this and I thought I should a 1150 socket. They are cheaper and have better multicore and singlecore performance (for example an i7 4790 vs an i7 6700). It doesnt have ddr4 support but since you said I shouldnt care much about Ram speed I figured that was an option too. What do you think?
There: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/billaso123/saved/6Q2p99

Last edited:

Intel_man

VIP Member
I wouldn't say the 6700 is slower than the 4790. It's definitely a faster processor, but is it noticeable? Probably not by much. The Z170 chipset is newer, and usually newer is better when it comes to supporting "up to date" hardware (ie. usb 3.1, sata express, etc... ) You're also not going to save much from going down to a socket that's being phased out. DDR4 prices are on par with DDR3 right now, and Z170 chipset motherboards are going for $100-$150 for a decent one. The 6700 is $315 and the 4790 is $300. I'd take a 6700 over the 4790 at that price point. Or, you could go the extra mile and grab the 6700k for $350 + a $50 cooler and you've got yourself something that can overclock quite well and further increase your performance.

Billson

I wouldn't say the 6700 is slower than the 4790. It's definitely a faster processor, but is it noticeable? Probably not by much. The Z170 chipset is newer, and usually newer is better when it comes to supporting "up to date" hardware (ie. usb 3.1, sata express, etc... ) You're also not going to save much from going down to a socket that's being phased out. DDR4 prices are on par with DDR3 right now, and Z170 chipset motherboards are going for $100-$150 for a decent one. The 6700 is $315 and the 4790 is $300. I'd take a 6700 over the 4790 at that price point. Or, you could go the extra mile and grab the 6700k for $350 + a $50 cooler and you've got yourself something that can overclock quite well and further increase your performance.
I understand the chipset is better, but, according to passmark, its better in single core and multi core performance. Z170>Z97 but 4790k>6700k. Since you told me I shouldnt spend much on Ram, I keep the same price. DDR3 2400MHZ costs the same as a DDR4 3200MHZ. You definitely know more than me, but since you said that, I thought it would be a good idea. Didnt know the chipset was a big deal. Also, it says on intel page that the 4790 is compatible with ddr3 memory up to 1866MHZ. Does that mean i cant use a 2400MHZ RAM?

beers

Staff member
Probably just a turbo-related difference, by default the 4790K turbos up to 4.4 GHz whereas the 6700K turbos up to 4.2 GHz. You can manually increase this by 200 MHz and see more performance out of the Skylake processor due to IPC improvements.

I'd get the Z170 platform for additional longevity as the cost difference is pretty nil. Also you have the ability to run a two stick set of 32 GB of RAM whereas that's not an option with Z97.

Billson

Probably just a turbo-related difference, by default the 4790K turbos up to 4.4 GHz whereas the 6700K turbos up to 4.2 GHz. You can manually increase this by 200 MHz and see more performance out of the Skylake processor due to IPC improvements.

I'd get the Z170 platform for additional longevity as the cost difference is pretty nil. Also you have the ability to run a two stick set of 32 GB of RAM whereas that's not an option with Z97.
Ok this is what it looks like, probably gonna buy this. What do you think?
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/billaso123/saved/#view=PTLhP6
The reason I changed to an I5 its bcs someone pointed out that there is not much difference between an I7 and an I5 when it comes to gaming.

beers

Staff member
That's a pretty big drop on the i5 down to 2.7 GHz. It's a non-K so it's not multiplier overclockable.

The 6700K would give you 4 GHz instead as a base clock, which is nearly a 50% clock speed improvement. If you want to save on the i5 then get the 6600K instead.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Ok this is what it looks like, probably gonna buy this. What do you think?
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/billaso123/saved/#view=PTLhP6
The reason I changed to an I5 its bcs someone pointed out that there is not much difference between an I7 and an I5 when it comes to gaming.
If you run a pair of GTX 1080s you could. At least that's what Nvidia has suggested when they said that CPU bottlenecks can be more noticeable with their new GTX 1080 in SLi.

But for regular folks who aren't going to be dropping $1300 on graphics cards, the 6600k vs 6700k performance in games probably won't be enormous.

My word of advice, don't cheap out on the CPU on your initial purchase and get a "K" Intel CPU or you'll be punching yourself later down the road.