Overclock risk

Billson

I dont like to overclock the cpu. I dont plannon doing it on any version. The i5 6400 is a bad choice. Im probably gonna go with the 6600. Id didnt look at the model initially, but I dont really want a K version, because Im not going to oc. So you say I should go a GTX instead of a Radeon?

Intel_man

VIP Member
I dont like to overclock the cpu. I dont plannon doing it on any version. The i5 6400 is a bad choice. Im probably gonna go with the 6600. Id didnt look at the model initially, but I dont really want a K version, because Im not going to oc. So you say I should go a GTX instead of a Radeon?
1. Why wouldn't you want to overclock the CPU?
2. Unless you plan on getting the newest GTX 1080 or have a G-Sync monitor, you're probably better off getting a AMD card.

Intel_man

VIP Member
If you do it right, overclocking is 100% safe. It's pretty hard to screw up too.

I never used or looked into Hybrid drives much. My understanding of them was a stop gap for those who couldn't afford an SSD at the time but wanted something faster than a regular harddrive. Which made sense... 3-5 years ago, but not now really. A 250GB ssd is dirt cheap. Pair that with a 1tb harddrive and you've got yourself a wicked combination.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Hybrid drives aren't worth it. If you want speed, get an SSD and a 1tb storage drive. You can actually get a few hundred mhz just by raising the multiplier.

Billson

Allright then. Not an Hybrid then. Maybe a 250 ssd and a 500 hdd. So whats the difference with overclocking and the Turbo Speed?

beers

Staff member
whats the difference with overclocking and the Turbo Speed?

Not really much. The turbo will analyze its own power consumption and similar and downclock back to base if something is out of whack. Overclocking usually forces a higher frequency regardless of other metrics. You can balance the two by bumping up the turbo multiplier so it 'turbos more' which is also an overclock.

Darren

Staff member
Allright then. Not an Hybrid then. Maybe a 250 ssd and a 500 hdd. So whats the difference with overclocking and the Turbo Speed?

Not really much. The turbo will analyze its own power consumption and similar and downclock back to base if something is out of whack. Overclocking usually forces a higher frequency regardless of other metrics. You can balance the two by bumping up the turbo multiplier so it 'turbos more' which is also an overclock.

Adding to this, increasing the turbo maximum is an easy way to give it a bit more oomph but you will always get better and more consistent performance increases if you do it on your own. The fact that you're worried about it being safe is all the more reason you'll have no problems. As long as you know what you're changing and why you'll be fine. Even then hardware usually has a built in auto shut off if you start overheating.

In my opinion it's kind of foolish NOT to overclock if you have the capability to do so. Outside of a little time spent and a marginal increase in power consumption, you're literally getting free performance by changing numbers on a screen. Your warranty for your hardware might be violated officially, but usually that's a non issue and not really enforced as they have no way of knowing. I've returned overclocked graphics cards with no problem.

My CPU had an increase of 23% in raw benchmark scores just from overclocking. That's pretty significant, and I don't even have a high end overclocking motherboard or crazy cooling. Overclocking my graphics card gave me an increase of 15% in benchmark score and 7-8% increase in a game benchmark. The increase you get will obviously vary and not all applications will scale the same, but there is definitely tangible and noticeable benefit from it. GTA V felt noticeably smoother once I bumped my GPU up and my 8320 churns through stuff at a consistent pace versus the unreliable stock clocks.

If you're comfortable doing it, you should. If not, then leave it alone and be happy with what the manufacturer made as it comes in the box. It's your hardware and you'll enjoy it either way.

Finally, shameless plug for our CPU overclocking guide.

http://www.computerforum.com/threads/cpu-overclocking-guide-for-unlocked-intel-amd-cpus.238737/

Billson

You convinced me to OC :p. Allright guys, I think I know enough to make a good desicion. Thanks a lot to you all. I really apreciate the time you took to help me. Tanks a lot!

Intel_man

VIP Member
Just in case if no one has brought it up to your attention yet...

Any "K" ending Intel processors (ie. 6600k or 6700k), they don't come with a CPU cooler. You'll have to purchase an aftermarket one. There's a few out there that everyone seems to like, such as the Corsair H series cooler (H80i is a good one), and Noctua's D14/D15. There's probably a few others that are good too.

Billson

Just in case if no one has brought it up to your attention yet...

Any "K" ending Intel processors (ie. 6600k or 6700k), they don't come with a CPU cooler. You'll have to purchase an aftermarket one. There's a few out there that everyone seems to like, such as the Corsair H series cooler (H80i is a good one), and Noctua's D14/D15. There's probably a few others that are good too.
Yeah I know that. Pcpartpicker.com warns you about that. Thanks!

Billson

Hey listen guys. Sorry to bother again... Im gettin an micro ATX mobo. Is it stupid to buy an Mid tower ATX? Its a bit cheaper so I´d prefer to buy that one. What do you think?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would actually get a mid tower case as you'll have less room to work in microatx case and you'll have less options for cable management. I know I can't stand to work in small cases. Plus cooling should be better as well. You will probably have a problem with aftermarket cpu coolers too.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Well yes, but less slots = less expansion ability. So later down the road, when another USB revision comes a long and you want that via a PCI-e card, or if you need to move the computer further away from the router and need to go wireless via a PCI-e card (USB wireless adapters aren't as good), or you want to increase your hard drive performance by going SSD that uses the PCI-E interface... you can't really do all of that at the same time with a micro-atx board.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
All psu's will fail at one point or another. For what you plan on doing doesn't require the highest tier unit. For most people corsair cx series will be fine.