Overclocking E2160 (Help?)

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Hey guys, I set my RAM timings on "Auto" on the BIOS and they are currently at 5-6-6-19. Can I manually set them to 4-4-4-12 (Default for Crucial Ballistix)?? Would this hurt the RAM?

SPD = 2.4 (5:6) and RAM is @ 802MHz

*edit* I manually set timings to 4-4-4-12, ran ORTHOS and froze at minute 17 so I thought the RAM had unstabled the overclock. Right now I set timings to 5-5-5-15 and Im started ORTHOS again...

*edit 2* ORTHOS crashed the comp again, this time at minute 14. I set timing to auto now and FSB:RAM divider to 1:1. RAM @ 668MHz. Would this determine the unstability?

Last edited:

oscaryu1

VIP Member
*edit 2* ORTHOS crashed the comp again, this time at minute 14. I set timing to auto now and FSB:RAM divider to 1:1. RAM @ 668MHz. Would this determine the unstability?

668MHz should not crash the RAM. If it's still unstable, it's the CPU. I have my pqi Turbo DDR2-800 2GB CL4 @ 1000+ MHz and it ran fine.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Yeah then I'd say can leave the RAM alone for now. Set divider to 1:1 and determine my CPU max, then I'll come back and play around with the RAM speed and timing I guess

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Yeah then I'd say can leave the RAM alone for now. Set divider to 1:1 and determine my CPU max, then I'll come back and play around with the RAM speed and timing I guess

Haha... either my motherboard is limited or my motherboard is da bomb :p

I never had to mess with the memory that much... just mess with that "2x/1.5x" thing when the speed got too high. Just that and the voltage.

Just remember, more voltage = less life.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Haha lucky you! :D

Hey what are your BIOS settings for 3.04GHz?

Me has idea! :p

What's your motherboard?

I'm not that sure anymore :p I might try, but unfortunately for me I'm installing BF2142. I'll restart it and post when I'm done though. The FSB is like at 39* and the RAM speed is like 900...

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Ok thanks! O have the P35-DS3L which has like an identical BIOS I think.

Except your CPU has a multiplier of 8 but I can just lower mine to 8 I guess.

:p

Ramodkk

VIP Member
*UPDATE* IGNORE ME! :p

Hey guys, I think I got a stable or close to stable OC now. 2 hours under ORTHOS, no errors.

9 x 333FSB = 2997MHz @ 1.4575V (this is my only worry, kinda. Shouldn't be that high should it? :confused:)

+.01 MHC and +.01 FSB voltage

RAM = 1:1 @ 667MHz, 4-5-5-15 2.2v

Temps: Idle=23-27C ORTHOS=47-56C (max 57C)

How does it look? any comments? tips?

THanks everybody! :)

Last edited:

Ramodkk

VIP Member
*UPDATE*

Ok, I lowered the MCH and FSB voltages to stock. lowered vCore to 1.45625v and set FSB to 333 (same as before). CPU:RAM is 1:1 and timings are at 4-5-5-5-15 by "Auto"

This time system froze after 2 hours and 3 minutes under ORTHOS. Max temperature was 50C (better than before)

What do you think? should I up the vCore again? Should I keep it, does it look stable enough?

THanks! :)

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
You're stable, IMO. ;) If you have problems i.e, crashes while gaming, you may want to lower the FSB a little. You could also raise the VCore .02, or so.

Temps look good, too. Nice work.

Last edited:

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Thanks, I'm doing one last try doing 5 FSB jumps with 5 minute stability tests under ORTHOS. I wanna see if doing it this way leads me to lowwer voltage for 3.0GHz. But if get more problems I'm just gonna go back to what I was at 3.0GHz where I got the 2 hours on ORTHOS.

Thanks for the input! :)

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
That's a great approach. As you know, you want to use as little voltage as possible.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Lol I got to the same vCore again. For some reason, I can do 2.7GHz at 1.35v but then after the 2.95GHz mark I have to raise my voltage like crazy to the 1.45's just to get a boot.

So vCore at 1.4565 is not too high for 3.0GHz? will it last me long if at good temps?

Or should I just stay at 2.7Ghz vCore at 1.35? (dude this voltage thing is weird, maybe I just got that bad-luck mobo/cpu)

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
So vCore at 1.4565 is not too high for 3.0GHz? will it last me long if at good temps?

Yes. After all, how often are you going to run the CPU at full load? :)

(dude this voltage thing is weird, maybe I just got that bad-luck mobo/cpu)

That's about right. My Q6600 runs fine at 3.2 GHz with a VCore of 1.375. However, to get to 3.6, I have to jack up the voltage to 1.5. :eek:

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Yeah man, isn't it anoying! :D

Well, I'm gonna try ORTHOS one more time at 1.4565v @ 3.0GHz and I'll post the results. Afterall you're right, I'm not gonna run full power for 2+ hours. And I've seen many people running theirs past the 1.5v mark.

I'll keep you'all updated and thanks again! :eek:

lovely?

its alot like my e4500. after 3GHZ i needed a small vcore bump, and to get to 3.3 it took almost 1.5V!

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Bad news, system restart afer 1 hour 55 minutes. I guess I'll lower the core to like 2.9/2.8GHz cause I don' think is worth the big extra bump voltage for 3.0GHz if I can do 2.8 at around 1.375v...

Ramodkk

VIP Member
*UPDATE*

I'm done, hopefully! :D Except, I think I need to check last RAM overclock but here's everything so fat, I mean so far. :p

CPU
Core Clock = 2.9GHz
vCore = 1.4v (much better than having 1.475v just for the extra 100MHz)
Temps = Idle 22-26C <> Load 42-50C (max 55C)

RAM
Clock = 970MHz
vRAM = 2.2v
Timings = 5-5-5-18

ORTHOS
First Attempt = (SPD = 1:1, RAM @ 646MHz) Stopped it after 2 hours and 10 minutes, no errors.
Second Attempt = (SPD = 2:3, RAM @ 970MHz) Stopped it after 20 minutes with no errors.

How does it look? Yeah I should test again for 2-3 hours with last RAM OC right?

:)