overclocking soundcard.

computerGeek01

ok, so on of my friends overclocked his sound card. and i would like to learn how to. he said it improves sound quality and makes it play faster.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
your friend is talking crap, the only thing that can increase sound quality is a better audio processing chip, this cannot be modified in any way. And WTF, "play faster", that just doenst make any sense, it will play in real-time all the time.

Soundcards have no overclockable hardware onboard them.......

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
computerGeek01 said:
ok, so on of my friends overclocked his sound card. and i would like to learn how to. he said it improves sound quality and makes it play faster.

wow..your friend is wierd. The closest thing i can think of overclocking your soundcard is to turning up your fsb w/o turning on your pci locks. But that's not overclocking eaither.

Geoff

VIP Member
The only thing you can overclock is the PCI Bus, but thats not going to improve sound quality at all, if anything it will make it become unstable. Your friend has no clue what hes talking about.

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
you can overclock sound cards, i read a guide on it last year.
what they did was identified the crystal component that controls the speed of the spu and removed it, they then changed if for one that was rated at a higher speed. sounds wierd and i dont know why they would do it, but it can be done

Geoff

VIP Member
Hairy_Lee said:
you can overclock sound cards, i read a guide on it last year.
what they did was identified the crystal component that controls the speed of the spu and removed it, they then changed if for one that was rated at a higher speed. sounds wierd and i dont know why they would do it, but it can be done
Well thats not overclocking, thats more like modding. lol

And does that even make it sound any better?

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
well if its working beyond designed specs i would say that it is overclocking.
i think it sped up some processes; I cant remember what they did to test it but it was some sort of benchmark.

Geoff

VIP Member
Hairy_Lee said:
well if its working beyond designed specs i would say that it is overclocking.
I always think of overclocking as raising numbers higher, and modding as physically making changes to a card.

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
but if a mod leads to higher speeds surely its overclocking? whatever way you look at it i'll see if i can find the article but its not looking too promising

Geoff

VIP Member
Hairy_Lee said:
but if a mod leads to higher speeds surely its overclocking? whatever way you look at it i'll see if i can find the article but its not looking too promising
ok ok, lol, it can be seen both ways.

But i think your friend was mistaking when he said that, because i bet it would be pretty hard to find that crystal and replace it.

Jerkstore

anyone know if there's a way to get higher voltages out of the soundcard?
ex. I want at least a 2 volt increase in output so I don't have to buy a line-driver

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
that would probably cook the card so it looks like you need to get a booster for it.

i found the article, but its not the original, some guy on a forum ripped it off and posted it. it's HERE

i'll probably get a ticking off now cos its on another forum

Geoff

VIP Member
Jerkstore said:
ex. I want at least a 2 volt increase in output so I don't have to buy a line-driver
2 volts?!?! its a huge jump to raise the voltage on a cpu from 1.44V to 1.60V, and thats only .16V higher.

Geoff

VIP Member
computerGeek01 said:
well, i just talked to my friend. he said he overclocked it from 5.8ghz to 7.9ghz.
wow, he really has no clue what hes talking about. I think hes trying to make himself look smart, lol

Ask him how he "overclocked" it.

Jerkstore

geoff5093 said:
2 volts?!?! its a huge jump to raise the voltage on a cpu from 1.44V to 1.60V, and thats only .16V higher.

yes I understand that....it's the sound card I want boosted, if possible to dedicate more power to it

Geoff

VIP Member
Jerkstore said:
yes I understand that....it's the sound card I want boosted, if possible to dedicate more power to it
you can put more volts through the PCI bus, but i dont think you can dedicate the voltage for only one PCI slot.