Overheating GPU (SOLVED)

AJDouglas

Hi, I cannot seem to figure out why my GPU is overheating. It is not overclocked. It only seems to overheat when I boot up a game. Any other task that is not gaming, it runs at a very stable temperature. I've tried several different measures such as:
-Manually setting the fan speeds to 100%, then booting up a game. The temperature would steadily increase all the way up to 90 Celsius, and probably still climb had I not exited the program.
-I also took the GPU in to get the stock thermal paste removed, and then new thermal paste applied. After putting the card in again, the problems are identical, nothing has changed. The Graphics card ran at a stable 72 celsius (or less) no matter what game I ran, until a few days ago. Everything is dust free. Everything else inside the machine works perfectly, and at a stable temp.
-Updating the AMD Catalyst drivers to the latest version.
My specs are:

CPU: i7-3770 (3.4 GHZ) (8 cores)
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: Radeon HD 7970, aka: http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/produ...-7970-double-dissipation-edition-fx-797a-tdjv
PSU: Corsair CX-750M (750 W)

Any ideas as to why this card can't cool enough while gaming would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

AJDouglas

What games are you playing?
2 of the games I've tested this on is: Overwatch (on minimum settings, with a few things on high like shadows, etc...) and also skyrim set on high. Both of these games ran great at these settings a few days before. It also doesn't matter which game I run, the temp starts at normal when I boot, but then it just creeps upwards no matter what the settings.

AJDouglas

It could just be a bad temp sensor. Are you noticing any lagging?
No, no lagging. I was playing Overwatch a few days ago. It was running perfectly smoothly, until I looked up and the temp was 94 celsius. But thank you for the temperature sensor idea, I am now looking into this.

beers

Staff member
When's the last time you dusted it out? Not your computer but the 7970 heatsink specifically.

AJDouglas

When's the last time you dusted it out? Not your computer but the 7970 heatsink specifically.
A few days ago before getting the thermal paste replaced. I uh... used a leafblower. I'm going to take the PC in to a shop tomorrow. Will update the forum on what they find so the next person can maybe solve their prob with a google search.

AJDouglas

My old 7970 nuked itself after it hit 92oC. Started crashing at my overclocks and gradually got worse and worse with video corruption. Had to RMA it directly with AMD for a 7990 within a couple months of that. Take a gander at my old threads if you want.

https://www.computerforum.com/threads/video-corrupt-flickering-upon-reboot.236997/

https://www.computerforum.com/threads/to-7990-or-not-to-7990.237714/

Thanks Darren for the old thread links, it seems your issues had nearly every issue in this thread. After taking the card into the shop, it was determined that the card was fried. One final resort the technician said to try, is to bake your card in the oven. Apparently, it redistributes the solder on the circuit board, and there's a tiny chance that could fix the issue. It's worth trying I guess, if you're about to recycle your card anyways, and are willing to put a graphics card into your oven. After all of that, I threw in the towel, and just bought a new card. So there you go guys, if your card is overheating, and your warranty has expired, consider throwing in the towel if you've tried all of the above listed in this thread, ha ha. Thank you everyone for your contribution!

Darren

Staff member
Yup they tend to do that. The 7970 was an awesome card but I've seen a lot of them dying like that recently with them getting the fan glitch and melting themselves.