P5k SE Motherboard Help

CrazyMike

Hey guys,

I'm running a Asus P5k SE Motherboard. I am trying to update my BIOS so i can actually use my SSD properly. After long periods of pulling out my hair, i finally figured out a way to get the Asus Update utility to work.

While in this utility i can choose how i would like to flash my BIOS. Seeing as i have already downloaded the updated BIOS, i want to flash via file location. When i went to choose the file location, i clicked FLASH.

Everything was going good until the last section (can't remember what it was) then error popped up. I figured i should restart my computer, but in the process it won't start. I think what had happened is that it erased the ROM file from my motherboard (the file i am trying to replace with updated one) and didn't put it back on.

If you have followed me thus so far.... could use some help on not only getting my computer running again, but updating the bios properly.

Thanks.

StrangleHold

Staff member
When you downloaded the bios, there are usually 3 files. A flash utility a bios and help file. Sure you picked the right one? Have you tried resetting the bios by the jumper on the board yet? If you have reset the bios and it still doesnt start, its probably bricked.

CrazyMike

When you downloaded the bios, there are usually 3 files. A flash utility a bios and help file. Sure you picked the right one? Have you tried resetting the bios by the jumper on the board yet? If you have reset the bios and it still doesnt start, its probably bricked.

LOL hate to hear that. Yeah i just tried disconnecting my power, removing power, pulling the battery, switching the jumper. Reversed process and still nothing.

Any suggestions on what to do now? lol

When i downloaded the file it was only one single ROM file.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Cant tell for sure, but the board looks like it has a removable bios chip. Pretty sure its next to the SATA ports. If its bricked, Asus might be able to send you a new one.

CrazyMike

Cant tell for sure, but the board looks like it has a removable bios chip. Pretty sure its next to the SATA ports. If its bricked, Asus might be able to send you a new one.

Was just looking at that. I think it is bricked solid. I'll have to email them and see what i can figure out.

Side note, where can a guy get a 775 board? lol. Seems as it everyone stopped selling them :p

CrazyMike

I emailed Asus asking for a BIOS Chip.

I am not really good at shopping for Motherboards. Do you have any idea what would be the best board i could possibly get?

Best = Latest technology, Latest Chipset, Latest and fastest memory capability, <-- all that jazz. Basically the best 775 board that i could possibly purchase.

Seeing as the 775 boards are outdated, i don;t mind spending $100 - $200 if the board i am buying is better then the P5KSE (was an awesome board in my opinion).

StrangleHold

Staff member
Glad your getting one. I thought it looked like it was removable. It would be a bummer to buy a 775 board at this point.

CrazyMike

Glad your getting one. I thought it looked like it was removable. It would be a bummer to buy a 775 board at this point.

What's funny is that Asus and Intel both won't help me look for a board. Asus told me to talk to Intel about finding an ASUS board for my Q6600. Intel told me they cannot recommend any third party boards.

Regardless, I am ordering the Chip tomorrow, hopefully by the weekend will be here.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Be carefull when your installing it. Those little tabs bend easy. Plus make sure you install it the same direction as the old one. Most has the same amount of taps on both sides and you can get it backwards, go figure, lol.

Over the years I have done it weird ways to get the job done. You can actually take the bios chip out while the computer is running (very carefully). Install a bios chip from a working board to get it to boot, after its running take the chip out, put the bad flashed chip back in it. Use a windows flashing ulity, flash the bios and bingo the bios chip is reflashed and working.

CrazyMike

Be carefull when your installing it. Those little tabs bend easy. Plus make sure you install it the same direction as the old one. Most has the same amount of taps on both sides and you can get it backwards, go figure, lol.

Over the years I have done it weird ways to get the job done. You can actually take the bios chip out while the computer is running (very carefully). Install a bios chip from a working board to get it to boot, after its running take the chip out, put the bad flashed chip back in it. Use a windows flashing ulity, flash the bios and bingo the bios chip is reflashed and working.

Good to know! thanks for the info.

I was reading up on how to actually go about replacing it. It says to use a tool designed for this, is it really nessesary? By the looks of it, it looks as if you just pull back from the top knotch, being sure not to apply to much pressure. Once out, the new one is knotched the same as the old one, so just put the bottom in first then move to the top of the chip. Those tabs do look flimsy.

When ordering it, it says it comes with the latest BIOS. I shouldn't have to flash at all, should i? Should just be able to plug and play kind of deal, no?

CrazyMike

Alright, so quick question.

I got my new BIOS Chip in (did this all a while ago, but have been too busy to post on here). Put my new BIOS chip in, booted up fine. I went to go on the internet and it wouldn't allow me to connect for some reason. So as i sat there trying to figure this stuff out (eventually getting frustrated and giving up) a message popped up about registering my windows.

First off, makes sense but, seeing as i put a new BIOS chip in, i now need to reinstall my windows don't i? As well, this is probably the reason why my internet wasn't working huh?

Here's the details of what's going on with my internet:

Will not detect any type of connection to the internet. The connection comes up, but comes up "unidentified" and will limit the connection. As i have check the connection with my router (reset and all), checked the settings in my BIOS (lan settings and such), updated my drivers and what not. None of this worked. I even searched around the net, finding some solution of disabling some sort of "bonjour" process, but no effect took place.

The only thing i can think of is it has to do with me having to reinstall windows.

Any help would be nice. Stranglehold? lol

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure the date and time is correct in the bios, as a lot of issues will arise because of that.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Is it the latest bios version for your board? And are you sure its the right chip needed?

CrazyMike

I own the Asus P5K SE Motherboard. When talking to Asus they gave me step by step instructions on where and how to order the chip (over the phone).

1) went to this site: http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3855
2) select my motherboard (asus P5K SE) in the "Model Name" area
3) click purchase

All chips sent will have the latest version of BIOS

I am thinking that i just need to reinstall and will be fine. Kind of curious why though the internet wouldn't work. Just weird to me. I'm not even sure if reinstalling windows will help with that one.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Kinda weird. Try going into device manager, Find your LAN connection. Right click on it, pick uninstall. Reboot and let windows reinstall it. Then see if it will connect. Plus like johnb35 said, not only the time, make sure the date is right.

Last edited:

CrazyMike

Kinda weird. Try going into device manager, Find your LAN connection. Right click on it, pick uninstall. Reboot and let windows reinstall it. Then see if it will connect. Plus like johnb35 said, not only the time, make sure the date is right.

Date/Time is right (i adjusted it from start).
I have already done so with the LAN Connection driver. First tried updating, then removed and reinstalled, same result.