P5k SE Motherboard Help

CrazyMike

Can't figure this one out. Looks like what i'll have to do is resort to reinstalling windows and giving that a try. Will be doing this weekend (hopefully) and will get back to you. In the mean time if you think of anything to try, let me know.

CrazyMike

So I just reinstalled Windows and this problem still exists.

Problem:

I installed a new BIOS chip (i bricked the old one). Could not connect to the internet. Reinstalled windows thinking that there was a clash between the new BIOS chip and windows (problem still there).

1) As far as i know i have the latest version of BIOS (it was sent with it on the chip)
2) I have the correct date / time
3) have tried reinstalling windows
4) tried reinstalling my onboard LAN conntroller driver.
5) Restarted my modem

What happens is it shows up as "Unidentified network" and limits the connection (Cannot connect to the internet). It use to work fine until i installed this chip. Internet still works on ever other device i have. I even tried changing ports on my modem.

Please, any suggestions on what to do/try to fix this?

CrazyMike

I am using the onboard LAN connection.

It's almost as if it is not seeing a connection, possible hardware issue? But i have no idea how that would be damaged. All i did was brick my chip.

I have tried to find others with the same problem. I might result in buying a PCI controller and trying that. If i find a cheap one. Just to see if it will work.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
That would be an idea, its possible the onboard lan is bad now. Usually you can go to your local repair shop and find them for a few dollars.

CrazyMike

Do you have any suggestions in what i can try before i do such thing?

Reason i ask is because i am in the middle of building my new PC, so actually going out and buying a PCI board is kind of pointless on my part. I am buying a new MOBO anyway. All of my old hardware is going to be put into a case and given to a friend. I am sure i can pick up some sort of board just to replace this one for really cheap price. Or like i said, buy a PCI controller.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you are going to give it to someone then just find a pci network card and see if it works correctly. If you lived in the states, I have 3 of them just sitting around waiting to be used, I would give you one.

CrazyMike

If you are going to give it to someone then just find a pci network card and see if it works correctly. If you lived in the states, I have 3 of them just sitting around waiting to be used, I would give you one.

thank you but i live in Canada. I will just go buy one and give it a shot.

JLuchinski

Check out Kijiji, always cheap parts on there. Is there any light when you connect the LAN cable? I have always had to install the LAN drivers from the motherboard disc after installing Windows with Asus boards, all other drivers install fine.

CrazyMike

Check out Kijiji, always cheap parts on there. Is there any light when you connect the LAN cable? I have always had to install the LAN drivers from the motherboard disc after installing Windows with Asus boards, all other drivers install fine.

Lights (green and orange) are up and running yes. I tried that too (installing drivers from disc). lol i think it's a lost cause.