Parts needed for a computer?

Hockey

I'm a huge gamer but I've never built a custom rig before. I finally have what I think is a sufficient amount of money in order to do so. Can somebody give me all the parts that are needed in order to build a computer?
And what's thermal paste?
:confused:

BillOhio

I'm a huge gamer but I've never built a custom rig before. I finally have what I think is a sufficient amount of money in order to do so. Can somebody give me all the parts that are needed in order to build a computer?
And what's thermal paste?
:confused:

What's your budget?

fastdude

To build a gaming computer, you need the following:
Motherboard
CPU (Processor)
GPU (Video Card)
RAM (Memory)
HSF for the CPU (Processor Cooler)
Case
Optical Drive
HDD (Storage)
Optional depending on budget: SSD (Solid State Drive, smaller capacity than HDDs, but a helluva lot faster, install Windows and commonly used apps on it)

Thermal paste is the substance which you put between the base of the HSF and the top of the CPU to increase thermal performance, by making sure there are no microscopic irregularities between the CPU and its cooler. Some HSFs come with it pre-applied, some don't. To apply it, just leave a small pea-sized blob in the centre of the CPU, and let the pressure of the HSF distribute it evenly.

Last edited:
I would also add a Power Supply, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Anti static wrist strap and a CABLE FOR THE SATA DRIVE. d'oh, now I'm waiting again...

fastdude

I would also add a Power Supply, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Anti static wrist strap and a CABLE FOR THE SATA DRIVE. d'oh, now I'm waiting again...

Oops :eek:
Forgot about the PSU and peripherals, but peripherals are obvious, I think the OP meant what goes inside the case. Anti-static wrist strap isn't necessary as long as you don't build on carpet and discharge any static you may have onto the case before the components go in. Nearly all SATA drives (optical and HDD) come with all cables needed.

shkatemystery

Oops :eek:
Forgot about the PSU and peripherals, but peripherals are obvious, I think the OP meant what goes inside the case. Anti-static wrist strap isn't necessary as long as you don't build on carpet and discharge any static you may have onto the case before the components go in. Nearly all SATA drives (optical and HDD) come with all cables needed.
Are there any other cables that are needed when building a computer? I have ordered all the parts listed above. Will I need any other cables?

SslagleZ28

Are there any other cables that are needed when building a computer? I have ordered all the parts listed above. Will I need any other cables?

Usually with good PSU's (power supply units) you ger pretty much everything you need. Also so dont want to skimp on this part. Get a good one, like Corsair or XFX

Okedokey

This is a fail thread waiting to happen IMHO.

Can you list the exact parts you have purchased?

lyth0s

The user Hockey is the one that was looking for a parts list, the user shkatesomething is a different user that bought parts.

Hockey I would recommend checking out http://ElitePcbuilding.com if you plan on building a computer for the first time. There is a section with a parts list ranging from $500 to $1500 for gaming computer builds, it also has step by step instructions with pictures on how to put the parts into your computer. Thermal paste goes inbetween the CPU fan (cools the CPU) and the acutal CPU. This paste is meant to effectivly transfer heat from the top of the CPU to the metal parts of the CPU fan. Without any paste you have micro-air pockets inbetween the cpu and cpu fan which conducts heat very, very poorly and you could overheat your CPU and "fry it".

As for wires shkate you most likely will not need any additional power wires, these should all be included (if not non-detachable) with your PSU. If you bought your hard drives and optical drives from OEM deals then you will most likely need a few SATA wires (or ide if they are older drivers). If the hard drives and optical drives are boxed for retail, then they will have the SATA wires included in the box.

Hockey

thanks fastdude
and lyth0s for clearing that up xD
is there a specific forum section where i ask questions about compatibility or can i ask here?

linkin

VIP Member
You can ask here. Generally speaking, Motherboard and CPU socket need to match, along with what RAM the motherboard supports (DDR2, DDR3 etc)

PCI-Express is generally compatible if the card fits on the slot.

RAM above 1333mhz (on latest platforms) will default to 1333mhz, you'll need to configure it manually.

Powersupplies need all appropriate connections for motherboards and peripherals. SATA hard drives need SATA ports on the motherboard, etc.