Pascal Green Machine (NVIDIA)

Intel_man

VIP Member
Since there's no thread made for the overall Pascal architecture, I decided to make one. Post anything related to the Pascal cards.

GTX 1060 spotted in Hong Kong?
http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/94016-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-pictured-hong-kong-retailer/

2c65686a-3f40-4af2-8384-cc5dd0f25cdd.jpg

If this is getting another "founders edition" treatment... (ie. lemme charge you $100 more for a crappier cooler) I'm going to bust a nut.

spirit

Staff member
The GTX 1060 could launch on July 7th (a week today!) to 'take some heat off the RX 480's launch' http://www.game-debate.com/news/206...launch-july-7-to-take-heat-off-rx-480s-launch looks like there will be a 3GB and a 6GB variant, kind of odd since the 760 and the 960 were both available in 4GB. The 6GB is definitely going to be the one to go for but it will be about $300 and may not feature SLI support, whereas the RX 480 8GB is cheaper and does support CrossFire.

An older bit of speculation, but this source says GTX 1060 performance could be between the GTX 970 and the GTX 980 which is what I'd expect: http://en.yibada.com/articles/12788...wing-gtx-1060-performance-between-980-970.htm

We do love a bit of competition! ;)

Laquer Head

Darren

Staff member
If it's 3GB and 6GB then lol.

Maybe we could hope for 3.5 and 7GB variants.

Origin Saint

The 6GB is definitely going to be the one to go for but it will be about $300 and may not feature SLI support
If that's true, I don't see any competition here. 4GB 480 for $200, or a 3GB 1060 for $250? Or maybe the 8GB 480 at $250 vs a 6GB 1060 at $300? No SLI support isn't a huge hit, considering at that price bracket, you likely wouldn't be going multiple GPUs (although it's possible), but it certainly doesn't help its case. At the price differences, I wouldn't see a single reason to take a 1060 over a 480. I'd wager the FPS difference is ~< 10 in a large majority, and for saving money and getting more VRAM + Crossfire, that would make sense for more users than the 1060 would.

Personally, Nvidia needs to knock the prices down a smidge if they want to compete on entry -> mid-range cards, because going more expensive with less RAM and possibly no SLI is not going to win hearts.

I wouldn't be surprised if SLI is restricted, we already saw the fiasco over the 1070/1080 SLI restrictions they wanted/tried/semi-succeeded imposing.

Calin

Leaked specs of the 1060.
NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1060-Specifications-FInal-1.jpg

They claim will be as fast as the 980, but I doubt it.
NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1060-vs-GTX-980.jpg

Ok, I call BS on it being much faster than the 480
NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1060-vs-Radeon-RX-480-performance-1.jpg

Source: videocardz.com

spirit

Staff member
They claim will be as fast as the 980, but I doubt it.
Given that the performance of the RX 480 is meant to be similar to the GTX 980 I wouldn't be surprised if the GTX 1060 is about the same speed as the GTX 980.

Origin Saint

There it is... Titan P apparently. Nvidia's goal is to have the upcoming Titan card to be 50% faster than GTX 1080 Founders Edition card. :eek:

12GB and 16GB version of HBM2 is on the table for the card as well. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/94201-nvidia-gtx-titan-p-debut-gamescom-cologne-august/
#throwin'awaymoney

The Titan series is interesting to me, but not the least bit exciting. The price point of those puts them square in the part of the market that only people who are ague-ably insane, have a abundance of excess wealth, or legitimately require immense processing power (out-of-this world renders, animation, crazy workstation needs, etc...). That market is so out of touch with where any normal person needs to go, it's insane.

Granted, the fact that we can manage that amount of power and performance is incredible. Just a bit jaded with Nvidia (and Intels) super-extravagant-expialidocious-high-end products ala Titan and Extreme series.

Pardon my cynicism :D

Intel_man

VIP Member
The Titan series is interesting to me, but not the least bit exciting. The price point of those puts them square in the part of the market that only people who are ague-ably insane, have a abundance of excess wealth, or legitimately require immense processing power (out-of-this world renders, animation, crazy workstation needs, etc...). That market is so out of touch with where any normal person needs to go, it's insane.
Think of it as buying a new gen Mercedes S Class. The S-Class isn't cheap, but they're like a tech demo for what you're expected to see other cheaper cars receive in a few years time.

Origin Saint

Think of it as buying a new gen Mercedes S Class. The S-Class isn't cheap, but they're like a tech demo for what you're expected to see other cheaper cars receive in a few years time.
Perfect explanation for why it's important and interesting as a whole, and at the same time, lightyears above what the average individual needs/can afford at launch.

As long as you're intelligent enough to understand the Titan series and Extreme series are designed for that kind of intention and market, I have no problem getting a little interested :D

It's just those crazy folks who claim that they want a 6950X + Titan P so they can play games good and want to future-proof their system that make me this way :p

Intel_man

VIP Member
It's just those crazy folks who claim that they want a 6950X + Titan P so they can play games good
But... but... overkill is best kill.
and want to future-proof their system
Meh, getting the best right out of the door isn't "future-proofing" to me. Getting a system that can be upgraded years down the road to support up-to-date tech is future-proofing. A lot of people do it the wrong way and end up spending way more than what they need to in the long run.

Origin Saint

Meh, getting the best right out of the door isn't "future-proofing" to me. Getting a system that can be upgraded years down the road to support up-to-date tech is future-proofing. A lot of people do it the wrong way and end up spending way more than what they need to in the long run.
And that's what keeps me from badgering the hell out of you for your interest in the extreme offerings in the CPU and GPU camps :p

Definitely agree with that.

Intel_man

VIP Member
I bought my Xeon used! what more do you want from me!!!! :oops:

As much as I would love to own a 6950X, if I were to spend my money on a new rig, it'd be rocking a 6850k at most.

Calin

I don't know many people who used SLI with x60 cards like the 760 and 960
Maybe their current GPU sucks and they want x80 series performance but don't have the money yet and decide to go with a x60 series card then SLI it later on.

Darren

Staff member

Bingo. People are terrible at "future proofing" in most instances. Basically just don't work yourself into a dead or dying platform and you're set. CPU's age much more gracefully than GPU's and you can run a single platform with a GPU upgrade once or twice for easily 5+ years. You and me both are good examples of that. My total money spent on my machine is actually pretty small considering I've had nearly 5 years of use on it. My peripherals are probably almost as valuable as the actual machine.

Reactions: C4C