Pascal Green Machine (NVIDIA)

Shlouski

VIP Member
Bingo. People are terrible at "future proofing" in most instances. Basically just don't work yourself into a dead or dying platform and you're set. CPU's age much more gracefully than GPU's and you can run a single platform with a GPU upgrade once or twice for easily 5+ years. You and me both are good examples of that. My total money spent on my machine is actually pretty small considering I've had nearly 5 years of use on it. My peripherals are probably almost as valuable as the actual machine.

Future proofing is a myth in the most part, by the time you want to upgrade you have very limited options due to things like lack of support and socket changes, also upgrading to old out tech usually is not worth the money over buy something new which is significantly more powerful, don't end up wasting money for small improvements. Buy what performs best for your needs in your price range, making sure its capable of doing what you need to do and then replace it when required, other than GPU, RAM and expansion slots depending what the computer will be used for, forget trying to future proof.

Reactions: C4C

C4C

CPU's age much more gracefully than GPU's and you can run a single platform with a GPU upgrade once or twice for easily 5+ years. My total money spent on my machine is actually pretty small considering I've had nearly 5 years of use on it.

Now I'm on personal build 3 in 2 years, and you're still rocking parts from a few years back with the exception of the R9 390. Still not an issue considering it plays current AAA titles smoothly at max settings.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB benchmarks appear online
http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/94252-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-benchmarks-appear-online/

f0e2853c-7859-4078-b2b3-d260622524a8_resized_700x493.jpg

76f251b2-7236-4cec-840b-79de038e467c_resized_700x423.jpg

Origin Saint

Those scores appear to trade blows almost perfectly equivalent to the 480, yet at a supposedly higher price point. And with the 8GB offering and AMD slimming power consumption down this time, I think AMD holds the torch for this performance bracket. Hopefully Nvidia will realize they should bring the 1060 down by $50 or so and be more competitive. Or maybe I'm just having a pipe-dream :p

Darren

Staff member
Seems pretty lame on Nvidias part not to have 4/8GB models instead of 3/6GB models? It's not like adding VRAM costs that much. Maybe they just can't count in increments of 4GB, at least according to the 970.

Darren

Staff member
$50-100 more and a claimed 15% performance increase over the 480? Yawn. Might as well just get a 1070.

Origin Saint

I have been put in my place, apparently.
GTX 1060 launches with 6GB VRAM, @ $250 (third party models), and performs marginally better than a GTX 980. For how small the price difference is, I can see the 1060 being the go-to, provided Nvidia didn't miss out on the market by being a month or so late to the game in this price bracket. I have to say I'm impressed.

Still, on a tight budget, the RX 480 would do great, and has more VRAM, but I do thing the 1060 might be better price/performance seeing this article.

bf4_1920_1080.png

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1060/11.html

C4C

Yeah I'd really like to see multiple games played, but I think I'm gonna stick to getting an aftermarket RX 480 when it comes out. The 1060 sounds appealing because I might have a chance to get one on the day of release at Micro Center, but I have no clue.

Darren

Staff member
Such as this. I find this funny though because this is an "Nvidia optimized" title.

jc3_1920_1080.png
\

It does look like the 1060 beats out the 480 comfortably in most games though. Good on them. I was afraid the price jump above the 480 wouldn't be worth it but it seems like it is.

Origin Saint

Such as this. I find this funny though because this is an "Nvidia optimized" title.
I'm usually never "that" guy, but... It loses to the 480 by ~2 FPS, and gets nearly 30 more FPS than the 960. What the hell did anyone expect out of this price bracket if this isn't good enough?

Darren

Staff member
I'm usually never "that" guy, but... It loses to the 480 by ~2 FPS, and gets nearly 30 more FPS than the 960. What the hell did anyone expect out of this price bracket if this isn't good enough?

I'm not sure I get your meaning? Did you see my comment below the picture?

Also Just Cause 3 is a mediocre benchmarking tool IMO. Game is pretty inconsistent performance wise in my experience and scales strangely.

Darren

Staff member
Yeah. :D

I'm impressed with the 1060, looks like a solid card. I was a bit worried it was just going to be a slightly faster card than the 480 and Nvidia was going to ride their marketing and brand name for sales but it's definitely a good step up in performance (in most titles). Will be interesting to see how the pricing settles after availability for both cards is stable.

Calin

I would personally go with the 480 because it supports CF while the 1060 doesn't support SLI. I know that not it's not recommended to run 2 lower end cards vs a higher end one but, like I said before some people want to get the performance of a 1080 but they don't have all the money now so they get a 480 then another one later on.

Darren

Staff member
I would personally go with the 480 because it supports CF while the 1060 doesn't support SLI. I know that not it's not recommended to run 2 lower end cards vs a higher end one but, like I said before some people want to get the performance of a 1080 but they don't have all the money now so they get a 480 then another one later on.
Two 480's is not the performance of a 1080. Maybe more like a 1070 or so. That one benchmark that AMD pushed with their marketing for the 480's in CF being as fast as a 1080 was definitely not the norm in all games. I'd link a source but am too lazy to find it, so search for yourself if you want. :p